PDA

View Full Version : metallic taste...

44fanatic
09-19-2010, 02:18 PM
Have had a metallic taste in my mouth the past few weeks. Looked it up and have a couple of concerns.

Possible causes:
Lead poisoning
Blood pressure medications
Mouth disease

I have three possible factors. This started before my last smelting session and havnt reloaded or worked with the lead in the past few months...so hopefully can rule out the lead poisoning.

I am on blood pressure meds for a little less than a year.

I have a tooth thats been bothering me.

Need to go to the dentist. Need to see a cardiologist as a follow up. Guess its time to get off my butt and see the doc. While I am there getting a referal for the cardiologist, I will request a blood test. Might have to do the dentist thing also.

44fanatic
09-19-2010, 02:20 PM
forgot to mention...wash my hands pretty regularly when working with the lead and wear rubber gloves when sorting WW's.

Maybe the metallic taste started around the time of my last smelting session but dont think so.

Echo
09-19-2010, 03:37 PM
If I were a dentist, I would say a pathological tooth, either a new cavity, or a filling gone bad (cracked, allowing pathology underneath). But I'm not a dentist - and I don't think it has anything to do with smelting/casting/shooting...

Three-Fifty-Seven
09-19-2010, 03:46 PM
You supposed to shoot the boolits, not . . . spit them!:kidding:

You have not been playing with Iodine a lot lately have you?

As I kid I once got stung by a yellowjacket while I was out back playing in some old junk cars . . . I had the taste of rust in my mouth for over a week, ever since then I have a bad swelling reaction to stings . . .

I hope you get it figured out soon.

Tom W.
09-19-2010, 04:13 PM
1+ on the bad tooth..... the bad can do serious things to you if not taken seen about quickly..

Johnch
09-19-2010, 04:22 PM
Do you use non calorie sweeteners ?

One of them leaves a metallic taste in my mouth

I looked and it is a known problem with a very small % of people

John

jsizemore
09-19-2010, 04:24 PM
Have you checked your blood pressure lately? Might be time for an increase or change of meds. Not unusual.

Bret4207
09-19-2010, 04:31 PM
Had a broken molar after a cut rate root canal. Had an aluminum taste for weeks till I finally had the rest of tooth removed.

fryboy
09-19-2010, 04:56 PM
i'm going with the tooth thing ( good luck with all the above u listed ! ) as a aside few know it and it does work - if u have a tooth ache clove oil on a q-tip actually works ( taste foul as .... but it works) and it isnt a drug per say but a organic ( good stuff !! ) so it shouldnt mess with any other drug u mite have to be taking ( i'm very adverse to putting things in my body )

longhorn
09-19-2010, 07:39 PM
First most likely: the tooth
Second most likely: your blood pressure meds--dysguesia is very common with several of these

just a note from your friendly, non-local pharmacist!

geargnasher
09-19-2010, 07:43 PM
Which pharmacy, Longhorn, I'm "local"!

Gear

RP
09-19-2010, 09:18 PM
I going with the tooth, I think this is a good place for a pole maybe, Hope all works out in your favor all joking beside.

HeavyMetal
09-19-2010, 11:58 PM
I'm ging to go wth the tooths well! Bad tooth with a little infection cause's a little bleeding and there's your metalic taste!

Go see your dentist ASAP, ask me how I know!!

waksupi
09-20-2010, 12:23 AM
Another vote for teeth. I had the same taste with some bad teeth. I figured they would have to pull a bunch, only lost two, infection went away. Totally painless, and I was pleasantly surprised!

44fanatic
09-20-2010, 01:44 AM
Thanks for the words of encouragement. This has definitely got me off my butt and heading to the doc and the dentist as soon as possible....hate both of them and will put it off as long as possible...dont think I can do that this time.

a.squibload
09-20-2010, 02:24 AM
Probably tooth, and +1 on clove oil BUT

what kind of deodorant do you use (if any)?
My wife and her doc figured out she had absorbed aluminum from her deodorant
after she complained of the same thing.
She now uses different stuff, one is like a salt block you rub on skin.

Pepe Ray
09-20-2010, 02:30 AM
In my experience;
This symptom could announce the advent of Guillaume Barre Syndrome.
For me the progression was fast. I don't know what those parameters may be for you.
Because of my age and health history I/we at first thought it was announcing a stroke. NOPE!
The common possibilities as above, will probably produce the actual answer.
However, if diagnoses and treatment become problematic, don't ignore G.B.Synd.
Good luck
Pepe Ray

rhead
09-20-2010, 05:01 AM
With me it was an early sign of diabetes. Getting a blood sugar check is cheap and easy. A signal that something is wrong probably a multidude of possibilities.

44fanatic
09-20-2010, 09:36 AM
With me it was an early sign of diabetes. Getting a blood sugar check is cheap and easy. A signal that something is wrong probably a multidude of possibilities.

That may be a possibility with me. Family history and I have a problem with sugar drops.

As for deodarant...rarely use any.

Tom W.
09-20-2010, 09:04 PM
t.m.i....

giz189
09-21-2010, 11:47 PM
Hey 44fanatic, you ain't been a-smoking your moulds have you?:kidding:

Just kiddin' around. Hope it is nothing more than a tooth.

Ajax
09-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Any update yet 44fanatic?

Andy

44fanatic
09-24-2010, 11:36 AM
Dentist appointment in a couple of hours...Docs appointment on Monday.

Not looking forward to either of them.

44fanatic
09-24-2010, 11:37 AM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, gonna clean out the indoor range next week. Respirator for sure on that one.

hiram
09-24-2010, 11:45 AM
Do you have a dog. A friend of mine bought a strong flea medication. you rub it on the dog, not a pill. He didn't wear gloves and at a later time he got a taste in his mouth that he could relate to the medicine's odor.

44fanatic
09-24-2010, 03:20 PM
back from the dentist...depressing news...they dont have any xray lead.

But, he thinks it may be due to bone loss. Food decaying under the tooth. Good news, he didnt mention the 4 and 5 letter words we hate to hear at the dentist (root canal).

Tom W.
09-24-2010, 11:59 PM
I think that is the first thing they learn in drillscho.. I mean dental school, is root canal.

jsizemore
09-26-2010, 11:19 PM
I think that is the first thing they learn in drillscho.. I mean dental school, is root canal.

Mercedes and Porsche got to make a living too.

wallenba
09-26-2010, 11:29 PM
Get your gall bladder checked. Excess bile will cause a metallic taste in your mouth. Have you ever experienced spasms below or under your bottom rib on the right side? Naseau when eating? A strange pain in your back near the shoulder blade?

44fanatic
09-27-2010, 10:32 AM
Made it to the doc today so they could get a referal done for the cardiologist and they did the normal blood test. Asked about testing for lead and told him that I cast boolits. I dont think he heard me correctly cause he asked if I still had the bullet in me. After 21 years in the Army its feasable but no, I had to correct him and let him know that I make my own.

Metallic taste has dissappeared after going to the dentist.

44fanatic
09-29-2010, 01:08 AM
Blood work is back, no issue with lead.

Bad cholesterol...good / Good choesterol...bad. Need to start running again.

hoss-noogy
09-29-2010, 08:06 AM
I was goin to call dibs on your guns and reloadng equipment. Glad to see you are doin better

44fanatic
09-29-2010, 11:26 AM
I was goin to call dibs on your guns and reloadng equipment. Glad to see you are doin better

My wife would probably let them go for the price of a good washer.

HeavyMetal
09-29-2010, 09:22 PM
What kinda washer does she need?

LOL!

docone31
09-29-2010, 09:26 PM
The metallic taste is from Hemoglobin. That is the iron in the blood cells.
One indication of impending infection in oral cavities.