PDA

View Full Version : lee vs lyman

skimmerhead
09-19-2010, 01:06 AM
i have lee sizers and lyman45. i was sizeing some .357mag boolits and thought to compare the two. when i sized .357 lee i got on average .356.5 when i sized .358 i got on average .357.5 useing my micrometer. when i used the lyman 45 they sized pretty much on the nose. is there a way to lap the lee dies to open them up to spec. it seems a big difference to me. i have not tryed other calibers yet but will do so soon. has anyone have an idea as to why the diff. ?

skimmerhead :lovebooli

jmsj
09-19-2010, 07:42 AM
skimmerhead,
Your results are the opposite of my test w/ .358 sizer dies. My Lee sizer die was.0005 on the plus size but that was exactly what I needed.
Lee sizer dies are easy to lap out an extra .0005. I think beagle posted a sticky on how to do it. I believe he uses a dowel, different grades of wet/dry sand paper and some oil.
I think the Lee's are easier to lap out than the Lyman/RCBS type because after you enlarge the sizer, you don't have to worry about the lube leaking around the rod. In the past I have had to make a new rod.

Bret4207
09-19-2010, 10:01 AM
Yes, you can lap them out easily. ALL sizer dies will produce slightly off the mark diameters with different alloys. Now, the difference may be in the tens of thousandths, but it's just a mechanical fact. So always check your sizers with your alloy and see what they actually throw.

skimmerhead
09-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Yes, you can lap them out easily. ALL sizer dies will produce slightly off the mark diameters with different alloys. Now, the difference may be in the tens of thousandths, but it's just a mechanical fact. So always check your sizers with your alloy and see what they actually throw.

thanks bret, how and what would i need to lap these to size? not quite sure how to go about it to do it right. thanks

skimmerhead

skimmerhead
09-19-2010, 04:14 PM
skimmerhead,
Your results are the opposite of my test w/ .358 sizer dies. My Lee sizer die was.0005 on the plus size but that was exactly what I needed.
Lee sizer dies are easy to lap out an extra .0005. I think beagle posted a sticky on how to do it. I believe he uses a dowel, different grades of wet/dry sand paper and some oil.
I think the Lee's are easier to lap out than the Lyman/RCBS type because after you enlarge the sizer, you don't have to worry about the lube leaking around the rod. In the past I have had to make a new rod.

thanks for the tip, will look up thread, and check out my throat sizes, might leave em as is having lyman 's spot on. might come in handy. thanks alot.

skimmerhead

jmsj
09-19-2010, 07:43 PM
skimmerhead,
I misspoke, look in castpics under research and data. It was buckshot not beagle.
Also Robs posted a reply to similar question today

09-19-2010, 09:38 PM
Skimmerhead,

Just posted this, in another thread: Here's Buckshot's method: http://www.castpics.net/

I've done two. Started with 400 paper, then 600 as the desired dimension approached, then finished with 1200.

I wrapped a towel around a piece of 2"X4" and clamped it in a vise. Roll the die with the opening facing in one direction for a while then switch it over. Alernating directions will help assure that the interior has an even dimension.

Go slow, clean often and run a boolit through until you have the desired size.

skimmerhead
09-19-2010, 09:42 PM
skimmerhead,
I misspoke, look in castpics under research and data. It was buckshot not beagle.
Also Robs posted a reply to similar question today

thanks for the info will lookfor thread.

skimmerhead

skimmerhead
09-19-2010, 09:47 PM
Skimmerhead,

Just posted this, in another thread: Here's Buckshot's method: http://www.castpics.net/

I've done two. Started with 400 paper, then 600 as the desired dimension approached, then finished with 1200.

I wrapped a towel around a piece of 2"X4" and clamped it in a vise. Roll the die with the opening facing in one direction for a while then switch it over. Alernating directions will help assure that the interior has an even dimension.

Go slow, clean often and run a boolit through until you have the desired size.

thank you for the help, will look up buckshot's method. nothing that can't be fixed with a sledge hammer and cutting torch.:bigsmyl2:

Bret4207
09-20-2010, 07:30 AM
You can open it with the abrasive cloth if you need to open it a lot. I took a .329 sizer to .332+ with 400 rolls using 320 cloth IIRC. If you only need to do half a thou or so you can coat the boolit in abrasive paste (valve lapping compound) and just "size" the boolits till you get the actual diameter you want.

cajun shooter
09-26-2010, 10:29 AM
I have talked to Lathesmith many times about different sizing dies. He said that it is the standard practice to make a .357 sizing die to where the bullets are .3565, .358 are .3575 and so on. If you need a bullet that is a true .357 then use the .358 die not the .357 one. This holds true for all Star Dies and from what you have stated, others do it also.