PDA

View Full Version : Batteries for metal GGGRRR

charger 1
09-13-2006, 04:25 AM
Man took apart a car battery yesterday,why?....It was there. I dont doubt that each of those L shaped lugs is all you need to raise the hardness of a ten pound pot significantly cause they is hard stuff,and a high melt point. But you wanta talk mess,and beating,smashing, maybe one or two cusses..I dont know if that was worth the effort.I think the next ones comin apart via the 458 lott on a fence post

Bass Ackward
09-13-2006, 06:53 AM
Man took apart a car battery yesterday,why?....It was there. I dont doubt that each of those L shaped lugs is all you need to raise the hardness of a ten pound pot significantly cause they is hard stuff,and a high melt point. But you wanta talk mess,and beating,smashing, maybe one or two cusses..I dont know if that was worth the effort.I think the next ones comin apart via the 458 lott on a fence post

The general concenus is that batties are NOT a good sourse of lead. Besides the acid, vapors and melting pot reactions to acid just some of the reasons.

Wayne Smith
09-13-2006, 07:23 AM
Check your Lyman Cast Bullets manual. If i remember right there is a chemical reaction that essentially puts nerve gas in the air when you melt battery lead. Don't do it!

imashooter2
09-13-2006, 08:04 AM
And the plates in modern batteries contain calcium which will kill the casting properties of your melt. All in all a lot of work to wreck the rest ofyour lead...

charger 1
09-13-2006, 01:12 PM
Aaaaahhhhhh Cwap

largecaliberman
09-13-2006, 04:07 PM

I never even considered using batteries as a source of lead. DANGEROUS :twisted: stuff. I sure want to live a long time because I now have at least 2-1/2 tons of lead :drinks: and linotype that I want to shoot up. But somehow, the poundage just keep on adding :-?

jhalcott
09-13-2006, 04:34 PM
Hey LARGE, I got the same problem with my GUT!

KYCaster
09-13-2006, 07:41 PM
I used to get LOTS of "battery tops" from a place that recycled fork lift batteries. This was posts, lugs and bus bars that had the plates chopped off. Chem analysis showed it to be identical to WW (97-2.5-.5).
The place was finally forced to close because of environmental regulations........It didn't have anything to do with lead, it was the acid that was the problem.

Go figger!
Jerry

walltube
09-13-2006, 09:28 PM
charger 1,

Do heed the warnings posted here to not use any metal part of a lead-acid battery enclosed within the "box" or plate enclosure. As said, the health risks are not worth the effort when rendering the innards. Melting will release toxic gases. Been there, seen that.

Worse yet, the calcium will most certainly crap-up the melt and pot :rolleyes:.

Be content with sawing off the terminals. I use a 12"x 24 tooth per inch hacksaw blade with one end well wrapped in several layers of duct tape to serve as a handle. Easy to transport and more convenient than a frame type affair.

Regards,

Walltube

P.S., there IS no coincidence: 24 bottles vs. 24 hr. days :)

MikeSSS
09-15-2006, 01:06 AM
Yesterday I took a dead trolling motor back to the auto zone, from whence it came.

It felt like it weighed 50 pounds.

I pondered cutting it up but decided it would be: too toxic, to much hassle, and I don't want any trace of corrosion in my pot or gun barrels.

Tom W.
09-17-2006, 10:47 PM
Sanbers Lead in Troy, Alabama reclaims lead from batteries, and after the get finished with it, it's just pure lead. Please do not try this at home!