PDA

View Full Version : Well, I'm moving to Idaho!

rvpilot76
09-13-2006, 02:17 AM
Starting my new job in Hayden Lake, Idaho on Monday the 18th. How many here on the forum are from Idaho? I think I'm gonna like it there!

Kevin

50 Caliber
09-13-2006, 04:52 AM
Sorry! Dont live there, wish I did. I'm jealouse!

tom barthel
09-13-2006, 05:30 AM
I've never been in Idaho but, have heard a lot of good things the state. I do hope you enjoy your stay there. The move will probably be a strain. I hear it's worth it. Lots of big critters to hunt.

Gunload Master
09-13-2006, 08:31 AM
Welcome to Gods country :)

I'm in Pocatello.

rvpilot76
09-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Welcome to Gods country :)

I'm in Pocatello.
Isn't that where Dan from Mountain Molds used to be from (can't remember where he's moving to now)?

Kevin

swheeler
09-13-2006, 12:20 PM
Kevin; nice country there, you'll have about a 30 mile drive for some Tiger Muskie fishing, Hauser(I think the state record is from there)

Swagerman
09-13-2006, 01:05 PM
I think Elmer Keith left Montana, because Idaho was better hunting and fishing.

Heh heh! That ought to raise some hackles.

I went through there a couple of times, it is indeed beautiful -- but some of the people there didn't like outer-stater license plates, thus, we got some dirty looks.

But Elmer was very friendly and invited me into his home for a visit. :mrgreen:

Jim

Old Ironsights
09-13-2006, 01:17 PM
Lucky git. I spent 3 years looking for work in the Spokane/CD'A area and had to move to Chicgao.

Oh, and you will love Sandpoint. Not much of interest in Hayden Lake (except what's left of the old Aryan Nations compound) but Lake CdA is cool and Spokane has shopping.

obssd1958
09-13-2006, 01:41 PM
I live in Boise. Been here for 35 years. Probably like most other people, I have been in one place long enough not to enjoy the way things have changed.
On the other hand, I love visiting other places, but don't think that I could live anywhere else.

I travel North each fall to hunt whitetails on a farm in Kooskia. It has become a great family trip. My wife and grandson hope to take their first deer there in another month. Contrary to popular belief, Idaho has some BIG whitetails up north!!

Like swagerman observed, license plates that are not local (southern Idaho plates included!) do garner a few sideways looks, but by far the majority of people that I have met and talked to, are very down to earth, good folk! :drinks:

Good luck on the job and the move!!

Don

Marshal Kane
09-13-2006, 04:06 PM
Like swagerman observed, license plates that are not local (southern Idaho plates included!) do garner a few sideways looks, but by far the majority of people that I have met and talked to, are very down to earth, good folk! :drinks: Don
Would it help ease tensions somewhat if a Life Member NRA decal was posted next to the license plate?

Recall buying gas in the SeaTac area of Washington a few years back. It was early morning midweek and I was out of state and on vacation at the time. No one was at the pumps so I filled the tank, paid for the gas, and proceeded to clean the windows of my station wagon. Since there is a lot of glass on a station wagon, it took me longer than what I really wanted but because no one else was there I thought everything was OK. Soon, the young lady at the register calls me over. She says to me, "Would you mind moving your car away from the pumps?". To this day, I can only speculate that it was the plates on my car. Locals, who can figure them out?:???:

onceabull
09-13-2006, 05:13 PM
I'm stuck here in the State of Boise,right next door to Stockton North, when I got here(a few yrs before Don) it was part of Idaho.:twisted: Oncebull :twisted:

waksupi
09-13-2006, 07:34 PM
I'm just over in the Kalispell area, so pretty close by. You'll like the Panhandle. Good hunting, fishing, and scenery.

Doughty
09-13-2006, 08:35 PM
You'll be just two passes away from me; Fourth of July and Thompson. A lot of good country in between. There's a lot of cast bullet shooters in the area. Spokane has two CBA matches every year. Next one is on Sept 20. Range is out at the Spokane Rifle Club. It's on the westside along the river. Jerry Hubbard is the man to see there. 509-926-6020. Lots of good people there. It ain't Montana, but you could do worse.

Ranch Dog
09-13-2006, 10:42 PM
rvpilot76.... what you go'na do in ID?

Gunload Master
09-13-2006, 11:04 PM
Would it help ease tensions somewhat if a Life Member NRA decal was posted next to the license plate?

Chances are we would see that as someone trying to come hunt in our state and that might bring you more awkward stares :)

Honestly I see myself giving out-of-staters an awkward stare sometimes, but you have to see it our way.

I go up to our favorite place to hunt (it's up notelling mountain BTW). And Californians and Utahan's outnumber the locals. Now I don't mind sharing, but when you only come to Idaho to take one of our animals then leave.. Well...

Buckshot
09-13-2006, 11:49 PM
............My brother was the emergancy room doc in Bonners Ferry, which was about 40 miles south of the Conadjin border, and about that far north of Couer D'lean. I think the whole county of Bonners Ferry had 3700 people. If you made $8/hr year round, you were doing good. We drove into town and parked next to a 4x4 Ford pickup with a rifle rack, and 2-3 rifles in it. Plus the windows were rolled down.

I called my brothers attention to it and mentioned the windows were rolled down. He said, "Yeah, and those rifles are probably all loaded too." Lottsa real independant folks living up in the hills and round about. Lots of'em don't have a well or running water, and they get it in town. The city had a large goose neck hydrant people could come in to fill their water trailers or barrels from. My brother said there were some really wealthy people living up in that area too. Some of them with a creek had their own little hydro plants for electricity.

It wasn't too far over to Libby, MT and since there was no sales tax in MT people would drive over there to buy big ticket items. We drove over as that was the closest Pizza Hut. Before we went there we stopped in at some home center store for something. I ended up buying a pair of sneakers for $19.99. I handed the cashier a twenty and got a penny back! I thought that was pretty cool :-).

While we were there we drove down to Sand Point and my wife fell in love with the place. She went so far as to suggest we move there when I retire. My great uncle was in Naval Aviation during WW2 and did his basic training there in Sand Point, or somewhere there on the lake. When he got done he had a months leave and he said it took 5 days by train to get back to his folk's place in So. California. He said he figured out they must have set on every siding on the way, and if the trains priority had been any lower they'd probably would have had to push it, as they wouldn't have rated a locomotive!

...............Buckshot

carpetman
09-14-2006, 12:17 AM
I was the only Air Force person in Twin Falls Idaho from 1973-1978 and if you read your history you'll find Twin Falls did not have one air attack during that period. I didnt fly jets. I flew DE SKS. That's a desk.

Explorer1
09-14-2006, 12:56 AM
You'll LOVE the area. I am in SE WA but make a couple trips a year to that area, its ~200 miles. Heck the kids even agree, there is a great amusement park ~10 miles of Hayden.
Now, if I could just find employement nearby............

rvpilot76
09-14-2006, 02:39 AM
rvpilot76.... what you go'na do in ID?
I am an aircraft mechanic. The company I used to work for just closed the doors after 29 years of contracts in both California (fire) and Alaska (surveys). I'm kinda sad about the closing (I work with some really great folks), but I'm excited that I get to move to a place as beatiful as Idaho. One more great thing; I'm that much closer to Montana to a prarie dog hunt that I've always wanted to do since I got into shooting 22 years ago.

Kevin

P.S., the new company I'm going to work for:

www.aerostaraircraft.com

rvpilot76
09-14-2006, 02:41 AM
You'll LOVE the area. I am in SE WA but make a couple trips a year to that area, its ~200 miles. Heck the kids even agree, there is a great amusement park ~10 miles of Hayden.
Now, if I could just find employement nearby............

That park is called Silverwood; I've been there twice. It's a lot closer that Disneyland, and while it's not as big, it's still just as fun. What kind of work do you do? Perhaps I could keep an eye out for you.

Kevin

rvpilot76
09-14-2006, 02:44 AM
You'll be just two passes away from me; Fourth of July and Thompson. A lot of good country in between. There's a lot of cast bullet shooters in the area. Spokane has two CBA matches every year. Next one is on Sept 20. Range is out at the Spokane Rifle Club. It's on the westside along the river. Jerry Hubbard is the man to see there. 509-926-6020. Lots of good people there. It ain't Montana, but you could do worse.
Thanks for the info. I've been poking my nose in the local gun stores trying to find out what kind of clubs are in the area.

Kevin

swheeler
09-15-2006, 01:01 AM
You'll be able to jump in the truck and a short drive north will have you drinking a cup with Veral. Jim Self can take care of your gunsmithing needs locally(HL) and while in his shop you can admire the massive Bison shoulder mount, IT CAME OUT OF MONTANA

rvpilot76
09-15-2006, 01:49 AM
You'll be able to jump in the truck and a short drive north will have you drinking a cup with Veral. Jim Self can take care of your gunsmithing needs locally(HL) and while in his shop you can admire the massive Bison shoulder mount, IT CAME OUT OF MONTANA
Shouldn't have told me about a buffalo hunt! I've got this Marlin 1895 Cowboy that I've been wanting to take on a BIG game hunt. Sounds like this just might be it. How much is a fella lookin' at for one of those hunts? I should have got in on RD's 425 grain TL group buy! Where is Veral located?

Kevin

waksupi
09-15-2006, 08:49 AM
The license plate thing is important. Change your plates as soon as possible. Nothing pisses off locals quicker, than someone who has lived there for several months without changing. Local vandals may target the vehicles.

Dave Gullo, and Buffalo Arms, is at Sandpoint. Dave generally has some real fine rifles for sale, along with other hard to find items.

StarMetal
09-15-2006, 11:20 AM
Ric,

I'm going to propose, to my senator, a national license plate and drivers license...after all this isn't the United State (note singular) of Montana, or United State of Tennessee, etc. As I've said all along this is really The Divided States of America. Not only does this country still fight the Civil War, it fights each independent war. Why does it make such a darn difference where someone is from?

Joe

Dale53
09-15-2006, 07:04 PM
Only an idiot would take an immediate dislike to someone just because of their license plate, ethnic background, skin color or gender. Apparently, we are not short of "idiots"...

Dale53

Scrounger
09-15-2006, 08:07 PM
Only an idiot would take an immediate dislike to someone just because of their license plate, ethnic background, skin color or gender. Apparently, we are not short of "idiots"...

Dale53

That we do. Believe it or not, three years ago when I was getting ready to move out of California, I asked for recommendations from the fellows on this forum. One of them told me not to move to Arizona, they already had too many California Liberals there and they didn't want any more. Not very sociable, not to mention incorrect. There is a very large turnover of posters on this forum and I haven't seen that poster's name in almost three years. Maybe he moved to California and became a flaming liberal or one of San Francisco's Flower Children. There are a lot of good people in California and every other state. Don't let the opinion's of a vocal few bother you, and don't figure the state's politicians really represent everyone in it.

C1PNR
09-15-2006, 08:52 PM
rvpilot76,
Lots of good stuff on this thread. About the only thing I can add is to go to the DMV and get your new Idaho plates, and then go immediately to the Sheriff's office for your new Drivers License.

Oh, yeah, take your DD214 along to the Sheriff's office and apply for your Idaho CCW at the same time. I think it's $30 or so. You'll have it in a few weeks, and shucks, by Christmas you'll feel like an old hand with lots of new friends.:-D

What we don't like about out of state people is that they hate what it's like where they live, so they move here because of what it is here, and within a few weeks they want to change it here to what they left in "Liberal Loonie Land!":twisted:

MT Gianni
09-15-2006, 09:08 PM
It is as much a tax issue to show that you respect the locals, their history and heritage and want to stay here. If you want to get permission to hunt it is always moer freely goven to a guy woth local plates. They know if someone drives through fences, leaves gates open or damages things they can be found again. Gianni.

Gunload Master
09-15-2006, 10:09 PM
CCW is $57.00 and they say to check to see if the background check clears in 90 days. I called them 28 days after filling out the simple form and they had it done.. This was about three weeks ago. :)

waksupi
09-16-2006, 12:01 AM
Ric,

I'm going to propose, to my senator, a national license plate and drivers license...after all this isn't the United State (note singular) of Montana, or United State of Tennessee, etc. As I've said all along this is really The Divided States of America. Not only does this country still fight the Civil War, it fights each independent war. Why does it make such a darn difference where someone is from?

Joe

I'm against ANy national ID cards.

KYCaster
09-16-2006, 12:10 AM
Joe: Doesn't matter where someone is from. Vehicle licenses are a HUGE source of income for the states and local governments. Make licenses a fed. tax and you'd open up a whole new can of worms. If somebody wants to come and live here, let them pay the same local taxes I have to pay.

Jerry

robertbank
09-16-2006, 12:18 AM
I spent my life roaming around Canada as a Banker. On my first move from a small town in Alberta, I wondered out loud "I wonder what the people are going to be like where I am going."

A very good farmer friend of mine replied, " Well how did you find the folks here?" I said "I loved them, real friendly." "Well'. replied my farming friend, "you will find them friendly there too."

Found that to be the case with every move I made over my 43 year career. Folks are pretty friendly everywhere you go. Good luck with your move.

Take Care

Bob

swheeler
09-16-2006, 12:53 AM
Kevin; the one he has came from Noxon(IIRC) 2K for the hunt. I have seen them advertised anywhere from 1500 to 4500 for a large bull, you can shop around, lots have web sites. Enjoy Idaho!

waksupi
09-16-2006, 01:00 AM

Dale53

Dale. sorry to say, some are very provincial, and this happens. And yes, in the backcountry of the NW, there are indeed some idiots. But, from hard learned experience, the locals have discovered many that carry out of state plates, bring bad things to thier communities. So, are they idiots, or someone protecting thier way of life? We have certainly seen an increase of crime and drugs, following west coast license plates.

rvpilot76
09-16-2006, 04:43 AM
rvpilot76,
Lots of good stuff on this thread. About the only thing I can add is to go to the DMV and get your new Idaho plates, and then go immediately to the Sheriff's office for your new Drivers License.

Oh, yeah, take your DD214 along to the Sheriff's office and apply for your Idaho CCW at the same time. I think it's $30 or so. You'll have it in a few weeks, and shucks, by Christmas you'll feel like an old hand with lots of new friends.:-D

What we don't like about out of state people is that they hate what it's like where they live, so they move here because of what it is here, and within a few weeks they want to change it here to what they left in "Liberal Loonie Land!":twisted:
I understand that I get the plates at the DMV, but my license at the SO? I have always got mine at the Department of Licensing(WA). I should be able to pay the fee for my CCW and show them my current WA CCW and just get transferred, correct? IIRC, Idaho has reciprocity laws that recognize WA state CCW permits, right?

Kevin :coffee:

Gunload Master
09-16-2006, 10:46 AM
I should be able to pay the fee for my CCW and show them my current WA CCW and just get transferred, correct? IIRC, Idaho has reciprocity laws that recognize WA state CCW permits, right?

Kevin :coffee:

I doubt it. You will probably have to go through the whole process as if you dont have one.

singleshot1
09-17-2006, 11:01 PM
Kevin,
Wecome to Idaho. You will love it here. I'm from Orofino, which is south of you a ways. Lots of places to shoot, Spokane, Missoula, Mt., Lewiston, Id. and out on the coast. If you are into black powder cartridge rifles, lots of folks in this area, plus manufacturers. Dave:drinks:

C1PNR
09-17-2006, 11:29 PM
I understand that I get the plates at the DMV, but my license at the SO?
Yep, unless there is some sort of "sharing" operation there, which would make sense in less populated areas.

IIRC, Idaho has reciprocity laws that recognize WA state CCW permits, right?
Yep again, I think? Just keep your WA CCW until you get your ID card.

BTW, I had NO IDEA we had gotten so danged expensive! I suppose I'll really find out on my next renewal.:confused:

Gunload Master
09-17-2006, 11:57 PM
I think it's 57 bucks for the first time, then 30 bucks to renew. The laws just changed from 4 years to 5 years on renewing too!

Montanan
09-18-2006, 08:11 AM
Dale. sorry to say, some are very provincial, and this happens. And yes, in the backcountry of the NW, there are indeed some idiots. But, from hard learned experience, the locals have discovered many that carry out of state plates, bring bad things to thier communities. So, are they idiots, or someone protecting thier way of life? We have certainly seen an increase of crime and drugs, following west coast license plates.

Waksupi, you hit the nail on the head :coffee:

wills
09-18-2006, 09:21 AM

Dale53

Only an idiot would move to a new state and make a public display out of refusing to pay the taxes that build and maintain the highways he drives on.

Wayne Smith
09-18-2006, 10:50 AM
Only an idiot would move to a new state and make a public display out of refusing to pay the taxes that build and maintain the highways he drives on.

Ya, Wills, granted. And your point is??? I don't believe that there aint none in Idaho!

Explorer1
09-25-2006, 09:27 PM
"I should be able to pay the fee for my CCW and show them my current WA CCW and just get transferred, correct? IIRC, Idaho has reciprocity laws that recognize WA state CCW permits, right?"

ID will recognize a WA CPL, but not under receiprocity. That's a WA limitation.
http://www.atg.wa.gov/firearms/states.shtml

A WA CPL may buy you a few brownie points with the folks who you apply with but most states do not offically give you any real credit for licenses acquired elsewhere.

But it could allow you to legally carry while you await your ID license? Guess that falls into a question of residency, one I can not answer.

Explorer1
09-25-2006, 09:32 PM
That park is called Silverwood; I've been there twice. It's a lot closer that Disneyland, and while it's not as big, it's still just as fun. What kind of work do you do? Perhaps I could keep an eye out for you.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, my background is nuclear power. I am now working HazMat cleanup projects with the DoD (chemical weapons facilities). Am in a good gig right now; it would be tough to move for ~3-4 years. But we all can dream and have goals! But then again, the Navy does have an submarine research installation at Bayview and I spent 8 years in the submarine service......

singleshot1
09-29-2006, 09:11 PM
Kevin, keep your Wa. permit, Idaho will honor Wa. permits, but Wa. does not honor Idaho permits. Most of us in this area have both as we cross back and forth quite often. Dave:)

lar45
10-01-2006, 02:18 PM
Isn't that where Dan from Mountain Molds used to be from (can't remember where he's moving to now)?

Kevin

Yep he used to be in Pocatello, but moved sometime in the spring to Northern Idaho, Cottonwood.

Yes, lots of big critters here, and their tasty too!

lar45
10-01-2006, 02:47 PM
On the out of state hunting thing:
Last year during Elk season, we ran into an old gentleman hunting near Soda Springs. After chatting for abit, he asked what we were doing, Hunting elk was the reply. He looked shocked and disturbed, then said that we shouldn't be allowed to hunt in the same area and time, as he had paid lots of money for his tag. I calmly explained that this was public land, not a private ranch and maybe he might need to adjust his way of thinking.
I think he meant to piss me off and was honestly suprised when it didn't work. His 4wheeler looked as if it had died, when he came down the road, he was coasting with the motor off. I asked if he needed help or a ride back to his camp(Older gentleman). He said you honestly would help me even after what I just said.
He still may be puzzleing that one over.

don't remember where I was going with this one. darn CRS...

georgeld
10-14-2006, 02:08 AM
Idaho is a very pretty state, more so in the middle and up north than the southern areas around I 80. I drove across there every other week for a few yrs when trucking. Fairly well covered most of the states west of the Mississippi.

I'd very much like to find someone that's been around/in Spokane since about 1975. Had some friends there I'd like to contact again.

That's a mighty friendly town! I'd only been thru there a few times til one weekend I got hung up with a wide load. The local CBer's were having a "truck n road show" at the race track on the east side of town. I was invited out there to display the load I had on. A liner for a missle silo at Minot. I asked the smokey's if I could drive it out to the track from the truck stop during curfew hours. Guy on the desk said: "I can't give you permission to do that, but, I can tell you we don't have a car between here and Idaho line, they're all either south, or west of town."

Dave Dudley, a mighty cute little 17y/o girl named Louise Mandrell and sister Erline, Red Simpson and their crews were there. This was in Aug '75. Had a great weekend, much of drinking from the same black lable bottle with DD. Great folks, the whole bunch of them.

Then a couple months later I had a g/f from Ga. along and got hung up there for a week. A couple I'd met during that weekend invited us to stay at their home and join their club's activities, bbq and some other things to help pass the time til a load came along. When it did, it was to Calgary. Another overly friendly city. People lined up south of Calgary to guide us into town when they heard me yakking on the CB. Had an Army buddy in Germany that looked like my twin that was from Bonners Ferry. When I got a chance I drove thru there and stopped at the local bar and asked. Hell you look just like him they said, and got on the horn and called his Mom. Wasn't 15 min til Ron came in. Bar owners wouldn't let us pay for the beer or burgers. I've been lucky meeting great folks all over the country. (and some dandy ladies too I must add--some of them I wish I knew how to contact again now that I'm single and looking)

Just be open and friendly, you don't need to be concerned about meeting new people, or making a move to another area. That's the secret, IF there is one. Wish you well,

rvpilot76
10-15-2006, 04:10 PM
Idaho is a very pretty state, more so in the middle and up north than the southern areas around I 80. I drove across there every other week for a few yrs when trucking. Fairly well covered most of the states west of the Mississippi.

I'd very much like to find someone that's been around/in Spokane since about 1975. Had some friends there I'd like to contact again.

That's a mighty friendly town! I'd only been thru there a few times til one weekend I got hung up with a wide load. The local CBer's were having a "truck n road show" at the race track on the east side of town. I was invited out there to display the load I had on. A liner for a missle silo at Minot. I asked the smokey's if I could drive it out to the track from the truck stop during curfew hours. Guy on the desk said: "I can't give you permission to do that, but, I can tell you we don't have a car between here and Idaho line, they're all either south, or west of town."

Dave Dudley, a mighty cute little 17y/o girl named Louise Mandrell and sister Erline, Red Simpson and their crews were there. This was in Aug '75. Had a great weekend, much of drinking from the same black lable bottle with DD. Great folks, the whole bunch of them.

Then a couple months later I had a g/f from Ga. along and got hung up there for a week. A couple I'd met during that weekend invited us to stay at their home and join their club's activities, bbq and some other things to help pass the time til a load came along. When it did, it was to Calgary. Another overly friendly city. People lined up south of Calgary to guide us into town when they heard me yakking on the CB. Had an Army buddy in Germany that looked like my twin that was from Bonners Ferry. When I got a chance I drove thru there and stopped at the local bar and asked. Hell you look just like him they said, and got on the horn and called his Mom. Wasn't 15 min til Ron came in. Bar owners wouldn't let us pay for the beer or burgers. I've been lucky meeting great folks all over the country. (and some dandy ladies too I must add--some of them I wish I knew how to contact again now that I'm single and looking)

Just be open and friendly, you don't need to be concerned about meeting new people, or making a move to another area. That's the secret, IF there is one. Wish you well,
'preciate the story george. Good advice at the bottom of your post. Thanks.

Best regards,

Kevin

Marlin Junky
10-15-2006, 06:05 PM
I'm not trying to burst any bubbles but I don't wear rose colored glasses. I just got back from a 3 week trip of ID, MT and WY and saw something in Bonner's Ferry that made me gasp. Right there on the main highway as you enter town from the south, was a bigger than life billboard that read in its entirety... "Enough is Enough, Vote Democrat!" (note to Democrats reading this board: don't expect me to reply to anything remotely related to politics.) I also saw the rifle racks occupied by Marlins, etc. six years ago in old town Bonner's Ferry but to my disappointment the racks were empty this time. I also saw some very nice property near Priest Lake just to the west of 57 and just south of Nordman... 77 acres for a paltry 16,000 per acre. The property up there may be expensive but at least there's very little deeded land and if you're a developer (which I am not!) you'll find it hard to locate a land owner willing to talk to you. If you're a developer, you'll just have to wait until us old farts are all dead and the land falls into the hands of our greedy successors who don't know the meaning of heritage, freedom or pride.

On an up-note, they still hold a Turkey Shoot in Nordman.

MJ

P.S..... Spokane!? Did someone say Spokane? I must have stayed in Spokane during the drug running season, I guess. I stayed at the Howard Johnson in downtown Spokane and almost witnessed a gunfight between cops and a couple of rejects that hijacked someone's car. That didn't seem to put a crimp in the festivities on the third floor though because there was traffic going up and down the elevator between the rooms and the parking lot until everyone was stoned (approx. 2AM). I complained about the activities to the night clerk and it fell upon deaf ears which p'd me off... long story short, the cops were back in the morning. Yeah, beautiful town, beautiful town... I'd rather live in the 'burbs of So. CA.

I'd love to tell everyone about the area of the West (did I say west?... no, no, I meant South) I will probably move to but there may be developers lurking. :mrgreen:

Urny
10-15-2006, 10:04 PM
Hey Marlin Junky, can I getcha to post a few things like that about Northeast Nevada? We got way too many people here and ya might help slow down the tide.

georgeld
10-16-2006, 02:46 AM
Am sorry to hear that about Spokane. Didn't seem like that kinda town when I was there last.

But, that was August 1975, very sorry to say.

That sign wasn't in Bonners Ferry when I was there either.

Hope you had a good trip otherwise.

Marlin Junky
10-16-2006, 04:02 AM
Glad to see you guys aren't offended by a little sarcasm. BTW, I had a great trip, thank you very much! But seriously folks, the developers, the internet, NAFTA, The UN, greed, lust, moral decay, etc. is doin' to us what the railroads did to the Indians 140 years ago and every time a road is built or a tree is removed in the name of progress, it sickens me. Granted, I'm not going to unplug my computer due to its sociopathic potential. It is a tool just like any other that can be used for good as well as evil. Society's problems are not inherent in the tools we've used to shape it. Society's problems can be traced back to its member's lack of morality.

Oh yeah... 1975! Heck, in 1975 we had a wonderful rifle range where Metallic Silhouette was shot a few miles south of Santa Ana, CA about 15 minutes off Interstate 5. The next year Jimmy Carter was elected President and the rest is history. Oh, oh... another political conundrum by me... I'd better watch it. Oh well, I guess it's obvious which side of the political fence I fall on. :mrgreen:

MJ

rvpilot76
10-16-2006, 11:11 PM
Marlin Junky:

So sorry to hear about your bad experience in BF; I've never been there. I can report, however, that the people here in the Post Falls, Couer d' Alene, and Hayden Lake area are some super great people. Two Fridays ago I was invited to shoot a full-auto HK MP5 when I mentioned I had not seen one in person. I got the giggles when Don heard my story, looked me straight in the eye, and said, "follow me". Well, sixty rounds of full-auto and three-shot burst later, I was ecstatic. I purchased a range membership the following week, and all of the guys at Center Target Sports here in Post Falls are of the utmost in caliber (no pun intended), which was a deciding factor in my purchase. I appreciate this state's less restrictive gun laws and the mentality of the people towards those laws; I truly feel more freedom than I did when living in Washington. This is a great state!

Kevin

georgeld
10-17-2006, 03:13 AM
RVP:

Great, that's what I was hoping to hear.
Same kind of deal when I was trucking thru those areas and meeting many of the fine people everywhere.

See what I told ya? Treat 'em right with an open mind and they'll make ya family!

Sending a PM with a couple name's I'd like for you to ask about.

Glad you like the area, wish you well, tell 'em all hello from: "Tequila", C&H trucker from the early '70's, ok? See how many were on the CB back then that I talked to. Used to be a bunch of 'em them days. IF anyone remembers me, ask if they've got one of my old QSL cards and try to take a look at it.

Marlin Junky
10-17-2006, 04:22 AM
Marlin Junky:
I appreciate this state's less restrictive gun laws and the mentality of the people towards those laws; I truly feel more freedom than I did when living in Washington. This is a great state!

Kevin

rvpilot,

Glad to hear it! I've always loved Idaho.

MJ