PDA

View Full Version : Getting the hang of the 45/70 & cast boolits

Rusty W
09-15-2010, 11:03 PM
Finally got a little free time and had a chance to do some shooting. I had recently purchased a 32mag baby vaquero and was testing some loads for it, that's the small holes. I only had a few rounds for it & as you can see I have some more work to do for it. I thought I'd try a few rounds from my recently cast 457122 boolits & a RCBS 45-300FNGC. I got some work to do on them also but it's showing promise. These were shot at 25yds free hand with a weaver K4 on a Ruger #1. Cool weather is just around the corner & I'm itchin to get out in the woods.

nicholst55
09-16-2010, 12:36 AM
That ain't bad, shooting offhand! That's truly what separates the dedicated shooter from the 'never-leaves-the-bench' crowd, is offhand shooting!

I know a lot of folks who couldn't shoot anywhere near that well off their hind legs, especially with a gun that actually has a little recoil.

Fixxah
09-16-2010, 08:00 PM
I shoot my Contender off the rest with a scope at 100yds. Paper is good until the GB mould allows me to use consistent ammo. I am using reloads with 5 different cast designs and powders.

That looks like some fine shooting.

Catshooter
09-16-2010, 11:16 PM
Nice shooting. Offhand seperates the men from the boys.

I used to think I shot fine offhand until I went to my first silhouette match and scored a 12.

Cat

kennisondan
09-16-2010, 11:30 PM
the offfhand comments are true... it is not easy to do well at it.. it takes a lot of practice to do it consistently. It takes a lot of work to shoot off the bench well too; sticks same thing..
I am running into more and more folks who shoot great offhand and without a sling even.. wow.
I wnet to an airgun sillhouette shoot last year and was pretty impressed... I can just imagine how badly I would have done shooting a real gun.. lol..
I cannot wait..
lol

Remember, I am sure that half the fun is getting there.
the other half is remembering getting there
then the other half..

wait..
enjoy yourself. keep it fun.
lol
dk

Catshooter
09-17-2010, 05:13 PM
Silhouette is a ball. I shot leveraction, no scope, no sling. You'd think that chickens at a mere 50 yards would be a cake walk. Huh!

Now that I've moved to Florida I need to re-connect to that shooting - I miss it.

Cat

ghh3rd
09-17-2010, 09:35 PM
Catshooter - where in SW Florida? I'm in Odessa/Lutz (Tampa area).