PDA

View Full Version : Teflon Coated Lead Boolits.

Four Fingers of Death
05-15-2005, 06:07 AM
Do you guys get these in the states?

I'm not in a position to cast at the moment and have bought some 30 cal 165GnFN for the 3006 and some 180GnFn for the 303s.

Has anybody tried these? How did they go?
Mick.

PDshooter
05-16-2005, 12:58 AM
Yes...I shoot a 187gr GC FN.In my 03 Springfield.. Powder IMR-4227 or 2400 23GR. With dacron filler....I just don't like the sound of powder in the case .....
Would love to get down your way again. And shoot some "Dingos" dogs!
Lived in Auckland NZ in 1970 for 6months. One of the best kept secrets in the world.
Watch who you let in your "Borders" down there!???? or you get all "F-up" like were getting up here! :mad: My have to rethink my retirement years :-| Or learn a new "Lingo" :-|

Ballistics in Scotland
05-16-2005, 04:26 AM
I suppose there are a few Red Indians who could make a similar argument, and generally I'd trust the Australians to look after their own problems.

I have Clyde Williamson's great doorstep of a book, "The Winchester Lever Legacy", which is actually a very scientific work on reloading for the post-73 lever Winchesters, despite being camouflaged with a lot of folksy comments, western lore and artifacts etc. If I had to choose only ten gun books, I think he'd be in there. He illustrates his patent application for the idea of wrapping cast bullets, over the lube, with teflon plumber's tape, after which they are heated to shrink the stuff. I don't know if the patent was granted, but it must be some good, or it wouldn't be banned for vintage rifle shooting in the UK.

He mentions the use of teflon tubing for the purpose, which sounds really good, if you could find some almost as thin as the tape. I haven't, unfortunately, heard of any, and all I could ever locate was considerably thicker than the depth of the rifling. I don't think this would do.

I've also got some British Silvalube bullets, in about 90gr. .309 diameter. I don't know what the silvery coating is, and I think the fiorm is long since defunct. It would surely be possible to apply molycoating in some sort of lacquer, and at least for some appliucations do away with those inconvenient lube grooves. This would open the possibility of using a drilled, one-piece mould, which would be far easier for the amateur to make.

Buckshot
05-16-2005, 07:10 AM
............PD Shooter, word from a couple Aussie cowboy action types I spoke with last Tuesday at the range, Australia has it's own immigration and 'Original Inhabitants' issues. As far as our 'Red Indians' go, they were just earlier visitors. Don't know about NZ.

There was a big hooraw and much press over Teflon coated pistol slugs many years ago. Supposed to have been able to defeat the common body armor worn by law enforcement and were labeled "Cop Killer" bullets. Same type of BS the media created over Winchester's Black Talons. Ohhh! Spooky nasty sounding name. Buncha hoopla and those who had any sold'em for big bucks. Winchester backed off the advertising for a bit, renamed them and they've been available now for years.

Funny about the idiots in the media and those other numbskulls. Due to jacket slits/pre fracturing, the Black Talons were supposed to peel back and expand well at many velocities. Naturally advertising showed the slug expanded so the ballistics and firearms experts in the media said they'd be like a buzz saw going through a person.

Well really!? If the bullet makes one revolution in 10", then it would make about one revolution going through the average person. They were hyping a Waring blender effect, and never thought it through. But, a thought through most their heads would have been the fastest trip in North America anyway.

Our attorney General at the time had even called for 'Less Lethal' ammunition. What a bunch of maroons'. Ah yes, kinder gentler boolits.

.............Buckshot

9.3X62AL
05-16-2005, 10:27 AM
The teflon-coated bullets that the trendy leftists got in a lather about were lathe-turned or extruded brass, and the teflon protected bores against excessive wear and kept pressures from spiking--allegedly. Most of us in the cop trades at the time didn't get too excited about these sorts of things. There are a LOT more things than armed critters out there that can hurt you, and pistol bullets that could defeat my armor already existed long before those over-priced brass things came online. Take a number, in other words. Only the Mastercard Marxists (thank you, P.J. O'Rourke) and Range Rover Revisionists got upset about The Cop Killer Bullets. A few admin types in the cop world got on board, but they are just fluff anyway--and like the Birkenstock Bolsheviks they imitated, their chances of facing armed assault were about nil--so their diatribe was meaningless.

slughammer
05-16-2005, 07:23 PM
I tried some undersize commercial cast 180gr .40cal with Powdered Teflon and Carnuba wax in my Glock 35 and had serious leading problems. (Of course the Glock rifleing is not supposed to shoot lead anyway.) However the boolits were a conventional design and had a lube groove, so I filled the groove with a conventional hard lube and had much better results. If they were the correct diameter, they may have worked. That is my only trial, I had a new caliber and no mold to match.
If the boolits you purchased have a groove, you may need to fill it.

Four Fingers of Death
05-17-2005, 07:31 AM
Obviously you guys don't get these type of boolits over there. They are traditional commercial boolits, obviously cast in Magma moulds, as are most shop bought boolits we can get these with the normal hard commercial lube in the grease grooves and are also able to buy these same boolits with a teflon coating like you get on a frypan. The Hawkesbury River Bullet Company n Sydney was the first and they were black and were called Blackhawks. Now they are available in all sorts of colours. They are very good and as they don't have lube, they don't smoke, which is a big help on a cold misty morning when you are blasting away in a combat match.

I have put 500 of them through my Colt 38Super, all in excess of major power factor without a trace of leading. I have been using them in my 44mags at warp speed without any leading either.

Great stuff.

They are now available in rifle cals due to the recent upsurge in military shooting here.

I was wondering how you guys found them, but I guess I will have to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Mick.

If you want to have a look, do a search under Westcastings. They are not the type I bought, but they look identical.

castalott
05-17-2005, 08:04 AM
Hi All!

I have been waiting for just such a development for years. If we can get to smooth sided bullets lubed with teflon, cast bullets will reach another step up. Molds will be easier to make, bullets easier to cast and inspect, and bullet performance in terms of BC will improve. I welcome news in this direction....

Dale

Scrounger
05-17-2005, 09:35 AM
Hi All!

I have been waiting for just such a development for years. If we can get to smooth sided bullets lubed with teflon, cast bullets will reach another step up. Molds will be easier to make, bullets easier to cast and inspect, and bullet performance in terms of BC will improve. I welcome news in this direction....

Dale

Don't hold your breath. The technology is already here. If you hang around here long enough, you'll understand that just getting a good shooting bullet isn't what's driving most of these guys. It IS the difficulty and variations that give them their satisfaction, their accomplishment, dare I say even a bit of ego boost? You make it too easy, where a novice can order a simple $50 mold and some Teflon Tape and little or no learning curve, some new people might get into it but it will be hugely ignored by the present casting community. Because it's not exclusive enough, doesn't generate any awe and respect for those who do it, and just doesn't give them the satisfaction and feeling of accomplishment they want. And follow the money. For all the hunting and target shooting that most of us do, we could easily buy a few boxes of jacketed bullets for a small percentage of what we spend on casting. It is the casting itself that generates the need for probably 90% of the shooting we do, as we test the infinite variables in the design and processing of cast bullets. We are afflicted with the thirst for knowledge; and that thirst must be quenched by our own efforts. Buying the answer just doesn't satisfy.

Four Fingers of Death
05-18-2005, 07:37 AM
It IS the difficulty and variations that give them their satisfaction, their accomplishment

I agree, I find it incredibly satisfying getting good results from shooting a good group or hunting with my own home made boolits, but at the moment I am 160 odd miles from home (most of its dirt) and I have my good wife with me here, so I'm not motivated to run home on days off and am also in a temporary position and likely to be moved back home at the drop of a hat, as such am not in a position to cast. I have most of my reloading gear here, but I had to draw the line somewhere.

Theres a heap of rifle and pistol boolit moulds and a couple of tons of lead sitting at home waiting for me to return. Shooting the breeze on these boards is my only casting I'm able to do at the moment and I'm forced to buy my boolits at the shop.
Bear with me, Mick

Hang Fire
05-21-2005, 01:46 PM
I suppose there are a few Red Indians who could make a similar argument, and generally I'd trust the Australians to look after their own problems..

I suppose there are a few Highland Scots who could make a similar argument.

Especially after the slaughter at Culloden, whereas a great many were deported to "reservation" Australia.

Four Fingers of Death
05-22-2005, 08:03 PM
It always surprises me that people get niggly about new arrivals in 'their' country. If you feel that everybody should stay in 'their' country, we should all go home to Ireland, Poland, England or wherever as well. Sad to see a lot of our ways of life disappearing, but generations and generations of people have also seen this happen. This is a board for casting boolits, shooting targets, game and the breeze.' Lets keep it that way