PDA

View Full Version : powder containers

tom barthel
09-12-2006, 04:06 PM
I've got a question. Would a dark brown plastic hydrogen peroxide bottle be allright for storing small amounts of powder? This would be for the active loading bench. Yes, I would flush and dry it first. I'm not sure about UV protection. :idea:

jhalcott
09-12-2006, 05:17 PM
WELLL ,the bottle is dark to protect the peroxide! BUT I don't like the idea of putting gun powder in different bottles or cans. Yes I remember when you could buy 4350 in pound bags! Can you get empty containers with the original powder type on them? I keep the old empties and refill them from 8 pound jugs for "on the bench" use. That practice is about dead now as this state limits powder amounts on hand!

Firebird
09-12-2006, 05:24 PM
First - this post probably belongs in the reloading forum.

Second - why do you need to store a small amount of powder on your bench? How are you going to mark it so that you KNOW which powder is inside, and are you sure that you will only ever be trying to put that one powder in this bottle? Why can't you buy a 1 lb. bottle of that powder so you can use it's marked container, is it one of the surplus powders that only come in large amounts? This could well be an invitaton to getting your powders mixed, leading to at best having to throw them away, at worst injury and a ruined gun.

As for answering your question, I think it would probably work, but I would air out the container in the sunshine for several weeks. Hydrogen Peroxide releases mon-atomic oxygen atoms, which is going to saturate the plastic of the container. This is an incredibly strong oxidizer and you don't want your powder anywhere near it, so give it lots of time to dissappate into the air. The bottle would already have lots of UV blocking to protect the hydrogen peroxide from any UV and the plastic it's made from would be something that is very non-reactive chemically so that the hydrogen peroxide & released oxygen doesn't break it down.

Scrounger
09-12-2006, 05:54 PM
Don't you have any empty one pound cans, no matter which powder was in it? I use these with several wraps of masking tape and the new powder number written on it with a magic marker.

tom barthel
09-12-2006, 05:55 PM
Firebird, I apologize for asking the question here. I do have two partial one pound cans. I just thought it would be nice to have a small can for each powder. I do posess a magic marker and know how to use it. My reason for asking the question is I don't wish to pay twenty + dollars a can just to have a small can. Thank you for letting me know the problems I may incounter useing the pyroxide bottle. I've decided it isn't worth the risk.
Thanks
Tom

GP100man
09-12-2006, 05:57 PM
fellas i have a metal cabinet locked ,so i have to unlock to get powder as soon as i get powder in hand lock goes back on , so if i want to change powder i have to unlock again. that is a rule i have trained my self to accept . dont ask me why!!!

357maximum
09-12-2006, 06:26 PM
hmmm

We have an oxidizer, nitrogen, all you need is a fuel source, just kiddin, but I would not use a peroxide can, an old powder can prominately labelled yes, but not a peroxide can..

44woody
09-12-2006, 07:02 PM
Tom Barthel if you want I have a win 231 one pound contaner that I will send you just for the postage if you want it :castmine: 44Woody

StarMetal
09-12-2006, 08:12 PM
Actually, if there are enough peroxide atoms in the plastic pores, you have two oxidizers, one with the proxide and the other in the powder itself. So to complete the combustion triangle you need oxygen, fuel, temperature.

Joe

PatMarlin
09-12-2006, 09:18 PM
Firebird, I apologize for asking the question here. I do have two partial one pound cans...

I Don't think you needed to apologize to anyone here Tom.. :roll:

tom barthel
09-12-2006, 09:19 PM
Tom Barthel if you want I have a win 231 one pound contaner that I will send you just for the postage if you want it :castmine: 44Woody

Thanks 44Woody
I do appreciate the offer but, I will contact some local reloaders and ask about empty cans. I like the win 231 can better than the big flat ones. This way if/when I forget and mix my powders again the loss will be smaller. Who knows? I may actually do something right for a change. :roll:

Buckshot
09-12-2006, 10:30 PM
...............I just do like Scrounger suggested. I use a lot of surplus powder and I try to buy canister (commercial) powder in 8 lb jugs. It's a LOT easier to deal with 1 lb cans so I saved emptied 1 lb cans to transefer powder into. First I spray paint the can (I just use gray primer). After it's dried a couple days I put a self adhesive lable on it then note the powder and lot number. This has worked well for the past umpteen years.

................Buckshot

carpetman
09-12-2006, 11:09 PM
buckshot you spray paint powder cans gray. I wouldnt think an old Navy man would be able to paint them any other color.

Junior1942
09-13-2006, 06:41 AM
I use pint plastic milk bottles spray painted black. They hold about 1.5 lb powder.

http://www.castbullet.com/reload/photos/wc82011t.jpg

JDL
09-13-2006, 08:34 AM
I got a lot of surplus powder a few years ago and put some in 1 gallon milk jugs. I believe it was a couple of years ago that I found powder on the floor from a hole in one of the jugs and had to repack into another container. I don't know if there was a reaction or not, but I wouldn't reccomend using milk containers because of this. -JDL

KCSO
09-13-2006, 09:16 AM
When I got my Herter's powder measure it came with a dozen plastic bottles that are the same as the bottles on my shotgun reloader. The have a place to mark in the powder type or shot size on the side. They are what I have used for all my bulk powder transfers. I put a large piece of masking tape on the side of the jar and it is marked with the powder number and the date it was taken from the keg. It is interesting that in the early days we were told not to put powder in a plastic container and now they come in plastic.

tom barthel
09-15-2006, 05:50 AM
PROBLEM SOLVED. I have a few white plastic containers that had Glucosamine tablets. These are UV resistant. I'll also paint them for extra protection. Like Junior1942 did his bottle. A couple are almost empty. These containers should hold 1/2 to 3/4 pounds of powder. All I need to do now is, try to remember how to spell WC 820 and IMR 4895. I have an almost empty one pound can of H 335. I'll use it for the pulldown powder. Lucky for me the correct spelling is on the 8 pound jugs. Less on the bench now.

Thanks for all the helpfull suggestions.

Tom

catkiller45
09-15-2006, 03:09 PM
just use any old powder can and put a label on it with duct tape or whatever so it stays on good..Add date and powder onformation..

C1PNR
09-15-2006, 08:33 PM
I picked up some dark colored Nalgene 1 Liter water bottles (wide mouth style) and put the powder in them. Then printed LARGE labels (on plain paper) and scotch taped them over the bottle for both identification and added UV protection.

Holds a little over a pound and the Nalgene is supposed to be non-reactive.

454PB
09-15-2006, 11:20 PM
Seems to me there are better ways to avoid UV exposure than painting containers. Do people really store powder in the sunlight?

StarMetal
09-15-2006, 11:29 PM
There are many sources of UV light: the sun, sun lamps, self-ballasting mercury vapor lamps that screw into a normal incandescent light fixture, ballasted discharge lamps such as mercury vapor and metal halide, fluorescent tube banks, and plate-burners manufactured for the graphic arts.

Joe