PDA

View Full Version : coyote medicine

kbstenberg
09-14-2010, 09:49 PM
I'm going to try to thin the coyote population around here. I'm in need of some advice. Presently all i have is a 7mm Rem Mag. So thats what i will be shooting. The question is what is a better choice for Jacketed bullets.
I don't care about pelt damage, I just want them gone. I'm figuring my Nosler Partitions would just punch through the dogs with little damage.
Most shots would be under 200Y.
Kevin

TCLouis
09-14-2010, 10:03 PM
Some kind of light 120 grainers oughta be lights out

cbrick
09-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Hhmmm . . . Jacketed bullets huh, I have no idea, do they still make them things?

The RCBS 7mm 168 gr SPGC works well in about everything I've tried it in.

Rick

Quigley284
09-14-2010, 10:28 PM
Kevin, My last try with the 7 mag was using a Hornady 139 BTSP. That bullet was heads above anything else I tried. I think when c-dogs are concerned accuracy should be first as they are a tough target especially when the shots get long. I still have a box of them if you are interested. Let me know and we can work something out. Mike

jmsj
09-14-2010, 10:29 PM
kbstenberg,
At one point in time the only rifle I had left was a 7 MM rem. mag, I shot everything w/ it.
Deer, Elk, coyotes and even prairie dogs.
What weight/ manufacturer bullets does your rifle like?
I found that my rifle liked 140 gr. Nosler Ballistic tip the best ,3/4" groups @100 yds. I have shot lots of coyotes w/ that bullet.

Marlin Junky
09-14-2010, 10:41 PM
The RCBS 7mm 168 gr SPGC works well in about everything I've tried it in.
Rick

How 'bout a .280 Handi-Rifle?

MJ

GabbyM
09-14-2010, 11:42 PM
If you can't find our way to a cast bullet.

If it were me:: I'd chose a varmint type bullet in 7mm. Any brand of your choice. Reason is not to kill the dog . It's dead with a hit. Rather to reduce ricochet. Any big game bullet will hold together after hitting the ground. In 7mm that will give you a bounce that may go a mile. So a high frangible bullet with varmint in it's name is much safer and in my experience almost never ricochets. Something like the 120 grain V-Max by Hornady loaded with a start load of 4064 gives you a high BC bullet at 3,000 fps. Will still kick a bit as 7mm mag is such a big case it takes large amounts of powder even with a reduced load. But it won't hurt you.

PS
120 grain Vmax has a bc of .365 and at 3000 fps is a five hundred yard yote load. 800 yards if you're good. Two to three hundred yards is cast bullet range.

azcruiser
09-15-2010, 03:42 AM
what ever you have anything from a 77mm rem mag and it will be DOG GONE

Three44s
09-15-2010, 09:22 AM
I'll second the riccohchet concern.

But you may have to use a heavier bullet anyway as it will come down to what your rifle likes as to bullet weight.

My personal favorite is the 120 gr. Nosler ballistic tip but there are bullets out there with lighter jackets that would be even safer. The Hornday V-max should be better ........

........ and being's I'm "old school" ......... I would try the Hornday hollow point that's been around for years.

After you've grown tired of your teeth rattling shooting varmints with your "seven" ....... you'll break down and acquire a dedicated varmint gun.

In the meantime ........ knock'em dead with PIZZ ***!!

Three 44s

Moonie
09-15-2010, 10:13 AM
I imagine you hit anything with a 77mm Rem Mag and it would be dog gone! :holysheep

Rocky Raab
09-15-2010, 10:28 AM
Let me toss in this tidbit: Pick a varmint bullet that's close to the same BC as your hunting bullet. Then, load the varmint bullet to the same velocity you get with your hunting load - that will be less than full bore, usually.

You'll find that the varmint load now matches the trajectory of the hunting load, and you may need little if any sighting change, as well. Side benefits are lower recoil and blast.

colonelhogan44
09-15-2010, 10:34 AM
Hornady V-Max. It blows large holes in anything that it hits.

XWrench3
09-15-2010, 10:39 PM
well, with that caliber, speer and sierra make varmint bullets (100 & 110g) that would open up rapidly and litterally blow them off their feet if you do your part. dont forget to reset the scope after you work up a good grouping load! if your rifle doesnt like one of those, a light weight match bullet would be my next choice (hpbt or tipped), like matchking or amax.