PDA

View Full Version : Gettin' ready to start the casting journey

Mad Mucus
09-12-2006, 09:31 AM
G'day,

Just decided this past week it's time to cast my own bullets for BP cartridge as there's nought to be bought down here. So..... it's gunna take some time to order/gather all the gear needed and figure out how to source lead, tin and maybe some WWs.

In the mean time, reckon I'll get to reading and starting a question list. :coffeecom

I'm here,

Mucus

targetshootr
09-12-2006, 09:56 AM
I would say find a source for wheel weights first so you know you have a use for the casting equipment before you shell out money for it. I bet you guys down under will have an easier time of it. Our caretakers already have their panties in a wad over lead of any kind. And put a shrimp on the barbee for me, mate. (Always wanted to say that)

NVcurmudgeon
09-12-2006, 11:24 AM
Welcome, Mad Mucus. The first item of gear you should collect would be Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook. Even though the "current" edition is 25 years old, and some of the information is dated, it is still a great starter source. At least you will learn what questions to ask of us. We eagerly await adding you to our band of mental cases.

Sixgun Symphony
09-12-2006, 11:40 AM
Best start with the instruction books and loading manuals.

There is a very good chapter on casting bullets in Richard Lee's "MODERN RELOADING".

dragonrider
09-12-2006, 12:34 PM
Mucus
Welcome to the board, you will like it here and find any answer you are looking for. Don't be afraid to ask. Pictures are good too, show us what your shootin.

Yes find a source of ww's now and collect all you can, and not just ww's, get any lead you can find. Begin you search for molds, the choices are many.
For reading material I suggest Lymans Cast Bullet Hand Book. The newest edition I think is no. 48 but any edition is a good place to start.

Mad Mucus
09-13-2006, 12:28 AM
Currently, I'm wanting to cast .45Colt & .38Spl Big Lube pills for these two .....

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c110/Mucus01/My.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c110/Mucus01/v8s050.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c110/Mucus01/Newbutt-stockcover005.jpg

Mucus

454PB
09-13-2006, 01:00 AM
Welcome, Mucus. You may not know much about casting yet, but you take good pictures!

As the others have said, best to gather some lead first, then start buying equipment. The tools are easily available, not so sure about the metal.

Buckshot
09-13-2006, 02:41 AM
..............What you need is pretty elementary, and maybe other then the mould can be found around the house. Lube for pistol loads can be as simple as a Vaseline-beeswax mix, and then you can pan lube them.

The basics:

A steel /cast iron pot (forget aluminum).
A heat source.
A dipper to transfer the molten lead to the mould.
A mould.
Lube.

Those 5 things will allow you to make and shoot cast lead. For a small amount you can combine 3 of those items (pot, heat, dipper) by getting a bottom pour furnace.

Since both your pistol and rifle shoot the same slugs (I'm assuming) you might be lucky and get by without having to size the slugs. If you end up needing to size them, the simplist means is a Lee type push through sizer. You need to lube them first before sizing.

................Buckshot

Mad Mucus
09-13-2006, 09:04 AM
Found an "old" roll of lead sheeting(freebie from my neighbour's shed), ordered 4x 250gram pure tin sticks being mailed tomorrow, and sourced enough WWs to start a smelting. Now to find an iron pot and some patience. :arrow:

Will be pushing the BP .45Colts at 1200-1300fps.
Are these 2 alloys OK, too hard?

20:1 Lead/tin
&
WWs + 2% tin

:holysheep I'm on my way!

Mucus

Four Fingers of Death
09-13-2006, 09:19 AM
Way to go MM. I have been stuck shooting shop bought for awhile and am keen to get back into the black art of moulding.

Those blue boolits are the teflon coated ones I have been describing to you guys.

Ron
09-13-2006, 09:57 AM
4fingermick, are they Hawkesbury River projectiles?

Regards

Mad Mucus
09-13-2006, 03:32 PM
OK, down to tin tacks.....

My first batch will be a lead/tin mix. I'm shooting 50-100 yards bullseye targets and looking to cast an accurate Big Lube PRS 45-250 or a J/P 45-200 over warthog 35gr vol Swiss fffg .45Colt loads .

Soooo...... would softer be better? Maybe 35:1 or 40:1?

Mucus

Mad Mucus
09-13-2006, 08:52 PM
4fingermick,
Here's a better pic ..... Hawkesbury River Bullet Co. Blackhawkes

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c110/Mucus01/Hawkesbury.jpg