PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have a fraudulent charge after updating gunbroker account?

NoZombies
09-14-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm not sure if it's gunbroker or someplace else that's had a security issue, but They're one of only 2 places that it could be, (it's a new card) and the most recent.

I updated my gunbroker CC on file the other day, and this morning had a Fraudulent charge of $29.95 from some online social networking site. I don't know whether it's gunbrokers security or someone else's, but the fraudulent charge had my CCV number and expiry date correct, so they weren't just guessing.

I'm asking here not as an accusation, but as a question. If it wasn't Gunbroker, then I'll talk to the other vendor that it could be.

I'm just ticked that I have to get a new card now, and jump through all those hoops.

The Double D
09-14-2010, 12:34 PM
Did you get a email that said your credit card was going to expire on GunBroker and you needed to update and all you had to do was click on the link in the email to update? If you clicked you got phished.

Never use those email notifications and links. Always go to the website and log onto your account yourself. It always requires a password to get in. So how can these link open your account with out a password?

NoZombies
09-14-2010, 12:45 PM
No, I was changing the CC, and went to the page directly from the Gunbroker main page.

I wasn't phished, either gunbroker, or Lyman has had a security issue.

george1980
09-14-2010, 02:06 PM
it doesnt have to have been either company , first thing to do is update your anti virus software and do a full scan on your own comp , if you have more than 1 antivirus it would be prudent to use them both , its very possible you have a trojen of your own

NoZombies
09-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Hey George,

I can guarantee it's not my system.

Gunbroker says it's not them, and it's probably not, but that's why I was asking if anyone else had the same problem.

lwknight
09-15-2010, 12:52 AM
No Zombies, Are you sure that there is no way that you were spoofed.
They are getting really good at spoof pages and the only easy way to tell is by reading the url in the address bar.
Once the spoof site gets your info , you will be directed to the real page so that you may never notice that you just got hornswaggled.

There are fake credit card readers and ATM spys out there. Somehow , someone got your info
and it may not have been internet related.

mtnman31
09-15-2010, 12:45 PM
Keep in mind that fraudulent use of your card doesn't mean that it was from one of your most recent transactions. It could have been compromised a while back and is just now getting used.

These scumbags are so proficient at obtaining others' credit info that you are pretty much spinning your wheels and wasting your time trying to figure out how/when it was compromised. As long as you are practicing good security/safe guarding of your info, you are doing the most important things to prevent the rats from taking advantage of you. After my card was compromised I did A LOT of research on the subject. It is scary how easy it is to buy/sell credit info on the net. FYI, American credit card numbers are some of the cheaper ones to buy, supply and demand. Law enforcement is so overwhelmed with this type of activity that you can expect them to do just about nothing if the criminal is involved in nothing more than a couple transactions. If the guy or gal is distributing numbers or spending mass amounts of others' money then they might actually do something. If the criminals haven't bought terrorist bomb-making supplies with your card don't expect any resolution or convictions - just get a new card and be happy that the credit card company removed the fraudulent charges and passed those losses onto the rest of its customers. :wink:

NoZombies
09-16-2010, 12:34 AM
Thanks for the input guys, I'm still trying to figure out what happened, but will probably never know.

As far as the phishing, I'm certain, I only ever go to gunbroker or any other site that I have financial dealngs with through typing the address into the browser, for just that reason.

I can only assume it was one of the two vendors, as I had just received the card recently, and had made only those two transactions with it. I filed a claim with the company that made the debit against my account, and they claim the have no record of making the debit. Since I do have the record I've reported them to several authorities, but expect little to come of it.

I'll have a new card in a few weeks, I just hope it's before I leave on my honeymoon, as I'd like to have it with me!

Storydude
09-18-2010, 02:05 PM
Guys, literally, there are 1000 forums selling "lists" of CC and SS info.

some are valid, some are fake, but there is a market for it.

I'm trying to remmeber what they call them for the google searches.

lathesmith
10-09-2010, 03:25 PM
NoZ, I also had an experience suspiciously similar to yours--in late September, I updated my credit card info on GB, and within 7-10 days a fraudulent charge of $40 showed up on my card for register.com (I've never heard of this site, I have no idea what it is). I might have written this off as blind bad luck, but then I saw your post, and the nice people at register.com informed me this very same thing happened with my card in Sept 2007. I do a look back and, what do you know, it was within 14 days of when I first registered and filed credit card info at Gunbroker! Another fraudulent charge, this one for $93.90.

Something stinks here, and I post this as a warning--I don't believe in coincidences. I'd like to do a little more investigating, and maybe some of the guys here will have a few ideas about this.

lathemsmith