PDA

View Full Version : 500 yds

Muddy Creek Sam
09-14-2010, 11:48 AM
Howdy all,

Been having the Timber thinned on the place and now have a 1700' lane through my woods. Going to set up a 500 yd range. :bigsmyl2: Suggestions on how to set it up safely would be appreciated. How thick a dirt backstop do I need? Amenities you recommend?

Thanks,

Sam :D

twotrees
09-14-2010, 11:53 AM
A double row of sand bags will stop boolits, so I would guess you would need 3 ft thick Minimum. As you shoot at it it will erode I guess I would double that. Also make it Higher than your backstop to keep the strays from getting away.

A good solid bench, with cover over head, shore makes shooting nicer.

Good Luck with your new Range.

Muddy Creek Sam
09-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Best part is it is beside the pond, If you get tired of shooting you can fish.

Changeling
09-14-2010, 01:45 PM
Sam, how about a picture of all this, sounds Awesome.

101VooDoo
09-14-2010, 01:57 PM
"Amenities you recommend? "

For 500 yds, how about a golf cart?

Jim

Muddy Creek Sam
09-14-2010, 01:58 PM
Sam, how about a picture of all this, sounds Awesome.

Will do when they finish pulling trees out of the back 5 acres, they are using the lane. Should be done tomorrow.

Muddy Creek Sam
09-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Jim.

Got that one covered along with a spotting scope. I have been to the back of the place in over 20 years. Couldn't make it back there with back problems, Now I have a road and a shooting lane.

jsizemore
09-14-2010, 03:40 PM
Sam,

Before you commit to a setup, you might want to put some temporary berm/backstops up to determine your layout. I have a berm I shoot into with a cover at 100 and another at 300. At 300 I can shoot into the berm and by shifting 5 degrees I can shoot into the pond dam for 500. I shoot across the pond so I can assure myself that nobody has sneaked in.
An old washer or frig full of dirt will act as a good temporary backstop.

Tom W.
09-14-2010, 09:27 PM
Or a backstop looking like \___/ made of railroad ties will last a while....

geargnasher
09-14-2010, 10:57 PM
Dirt makes good berms. A foot of good sand will stop anything you're likely to ever put into it. Pressure treated lumber, OSB, and asphalt sheathing can make a great target stand. Putting a low, I mean very low roof edge out in front of your shooting bench(s) will physically prevent shooting over the berm, make it where you can't see the top of the berm through the sights from a shooting position. Wish I lived closer, I'd volunteer to come over with my cement mixer and pour you a good shooting bench. Good luck!

Gear

Muddy Creek Sam
09-14-2010, 11:01 PM
Gear,

Texas ain't that far,:kidding:I do have one of my Cowboy Pards coming to help set it up. Of course he has a 45-70 he's never shot.

theperfessor
09-14-2010, 11:13 PM
I used to belong it a gun club that had rifle backstops made up of railroad ties that were notched Lincoln Log fashion and made into a box that was filled with dirt. Every few years it needed to be disassembled and the front set of ties were replaced and then it was rebuilt and refilled with dirt. You'd probably never need to rebuild it if you were the only one shooting into it.

MT Gianni
09-14-2010, 11:30 PM
Even though it is all your property I would post warning signs on the sides of the clearcuts facing out.

crabo
09-15-2010, 12:13 AM
Don't forget to hang some steel at different ranges!

Mk42gunner
09-15-2010, 12:34 AM
The important thing is what is behind the impact berm. If possible build your backstop with an overhang on top, to stop the projectiles that hit the berm and ride up it just under the sand. If you look at a book on range planning, they call for berms that seemto be impossibly high; unless there are design features to keep rounds physically inside the range.

It has been several years since I seriously looked at berm plans, but basically one of the easiest ways to make a shorter berm is to buid an overhang out of heavy timbers, and backfill it with either rockfree dirt or sand. The impact area would end uplooking sort of like a K, with the rounds impacting in the angle, like this K←.

Now that that is as clear as mud; I suggest having a lockable shed at the firing point, to keep targetstands, targets and other consumable supplies in.

Electricity would be nice. But if you make it too nice, you'll end up spending all of your time there.

Robert

nicholst55
09-15-2010, 01:54 AM
Electricity would be nice. But if you make it too nice, you'll end up spending all of your time there.

Robert

If I had a 500-yard range on my property, I'd want to have a video camera on the 500-yard line, as an absolute minimum. One at 300 and 400 yards would be nice, also, and they're not terribly expensive. It would save on a lot of walking or driving...

Wayne Smith
09-15-2010, 11:59 AM
Oh, let's see - tractor and bush hog at the minimum! Being in the low country I assume a very flat area. What's down range? Hanging steel is a good idea as long as misses will hit the berm, not just go sailing down range. Some place that you can use for cover when a thunder shower shows up, electricity would be very nice because then you can air condition. I would have a permenant shooting bench or two but also have a place for 3-position practice simply because one seldom has a bench when hunting! The tractor can be used to travel from one end to the other.

Of course, all this assumes a budget bigger than I would have!

bigdog454
09-15-2010, 07:32 PM
My range (only 100 yds) has a 4.5 foot dia. X 8 ft log backed by 3 ft of dirt thats piled behind and on top of the log. nothing up to 300 mag has gotten thru the log yet. but the center of the log is getting chewed away by bullets. I place a piece of old salvaged plywood in front of the log to staple targets to. as the log gets chewed away I am salvaging lead mixed in with the chewed up wood that falls out. just shovel it all into a bucket add water and the wood floats out leaving lead and water, pour off the water and dry.

jsizemore
09-15-2010, 09:03 PM
I use pieces of drywall for targets. A circle or X by a magic marker for an aimpoint. 22 cal holes are visable with good optics when shots are in the white. I shoot along a meadow strip and across the pond to keep mirage to a minimum. My range faces north-northeast so sunrise and sunset don't interfere with sighting target. Different trees and vegetation help with real world wind estimation. My shooting shelters are built so I can pull my pickup through and stong enough to hang a steer to dress. My benches are movable so I can drive the tractor through when bush-hoging.

seppos
09-16-2010, 12:53 PM
Hescos are good option if you dont have the possibility to make a berm.
http://www.hesco.com/
One could make them easy in home too.
Some metal netting and filtering fabric..

S

Muddy Creek Sam
09-16-2010, 08:52 PM
OK, Have a big question before Get started, Loggers left today. I have the option to be able to shoot downhill a couple of feet or have it all flat. Which would be better? Got to dige some pretty good size stumps and will put them under the dirt pile.

Three-Fifty-Seven
09-16-2010, 09:04 PM
I'd prefer flat . . . but in the real world, it is whatever is there, just make sure you got some shade!

frankenfab
09-16-2010, 09:51 PM
"Loggers left today."

Man, it would have been really nice if they had left you some logs. Telephone poles are also a good possibilty. Make a "looking like \___/ " and have several dump truck loads of dirt dumped in.

Signs are a good idea, but if you know your backstop is good, and you don't let drunk hillbillies come over and blast away:redneck:, and you leave enough clearing around the berm that you and/or the spotter could easily see any transients in the line of fire quickly, you should be ok.

As already stated, it takes a suprisingly small depth of dirt to stop projectiles, so if you only go to reasonable overkill, you can have the ultimate shooting range.

I would love to see some pics when it's done!

a.squibload
09-16-2010, 10:32 PM
OK, you asked:

How about 3010' of light cable, an old swingset frame cut in half, 2 pulleys,
a laundry clip, and a motor, could save some gas not riding that tractor to check targets!

Or use the cable to reset some knockover type steel targets.

Maybe a heavy wood target with a small hole and a gong behind it, for .22.

coyotebait
09-16-2010, 10:54 PM
If you do hang steel at the longer ranges a pair of cheap hanheld 2way radios, one with a cheap headset mic wired behind the seel gong set to vox and the other at the bench will give a satisfing long gong sound with your hits.

azcruiser
09-17-2010, 12:45 AM
Don't know S.C. property or zoning but would check with them first before spending any money/
Would hate to be finishing a project and be told i couldn't do it. First SIGN facing out closer the better English and Spanish well maybe not in SC but AZ its a must. Also a flag pole with a range is hot flag. You could also before you start shoot off maybe 50 rounds see if any police show up.
Think safety first and maybe consult your insurance agent

cajun shooter
09-17-2010, 09:13 AM
Sam, Don't forget you have to redo the interior of your home also. That is for friends such as my self to come by and stay a few days to get some shooting in with his buddies. I would also not be thinking in terms of one berm at 500 but several placed in different positions such as staggered. Have them at 25, 50, 100, 150 and so on. A bullet fired low at one hundred yd target might not stay in line to hit just one berm. I am speaking from fact when I ran our police range with our city dump behind us. The city boss came to us one day with a box of bullets and said his men were tired of dodging bullets while working. The front page of the paper showed a make up of flying bullets with guys jumping off tractors and other equipment.Some treated wood post such as those used for pier making can be put about 18 inches or so deep and the width you chose. Then put cheap decking wood so that the inside may be filled with sand. Old tires are another good source if you can get them now with all the damn rules. This way your range can shoot from 22 pistol up. You can do it in stages so that the layout is not that much all at once. On top of our last berm we used railroad timber and oil company donated wood planking to make a 12 foot barrier for those bouncing bullets. Later David

BD
09-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Provided that the area behind Sam's backstop is safe, I think he's OK by South Carolina standards which allow shooting on private property anywhere not specifically prohibited by local ordinance, provided a "safe backstop is in place". Sam is in the country by SC standards. I live in the 'burbs, where the lots are 1/2 acre or less, and back yard target practice is common.

It's a southern thang. Like the lack of non-commercial motor vehicle inspections, lack of requirement for licenses on trailers, right way to motor vehicles over pedestrians and right for anyone not a felon, and over 21, to have a loaded handgun in their car. You try to explain this to a New Yorker and you just get disbelief. This would be a great place to live if it wasn't so stinking hot and humid in the summer.

BD

Wayne Smith
09-17-2010, 05:16 PM
OK, you asked:

How about 3010' of light cable, an old swingset frame cut in half, 2 pulleys,
a laundry clip, and a motor, could save some gas not riding that tractor to check targets!

Or use the cable to reset some knockover type steel targets.

Maybe a heavy wood target with a small hole and a gong behind it, for .22.

Have you figured the weight and sag of all that cable? How high will you have to have it to keep from dragging your targets in the dirt? How big of a motor to run it and not burn out?

jsizemore
09-17-2010, 06:58 PM
My berm started out 12' high and has settled to 8'.

Shooting from a raised position means you spend more time shooting and less time mowing. When your clearcut gets to growing and about 2 good days of rain falls, you'll be thinking about spraying Roundup. Well until you check out the price. That's a whole lot of isotope containers.

a.squibload
09-21-2010, 05:12 AM
Have you figured the weight and sag of all that cable? How high will you have to have it to keep from dragging your targets in the dirt? How big of a motor to run it and not burn out?

Nope.
Too high.
240v 1HP.
OK, maybe just hire some kids with bikes for target setters...

Wayne Smith
09-21-2010, 02:54 PM
Nope.
Too high.
240v 1HP.
OK, maybe just hire some kids with bikes for target setters...

Make that dirt bikes.

bruce drake
09-21-2010, 06:07 PM
You Sir are in a great position!

Jealousy is in my aisle.

Recommendation if you are building just one berm is to put shooting positions at 100, 200 and 300 yards at small tangents from the main shooting line at 500. This way you can develop loads for various ranges.

Bruce

Muddy Creek Sam
09-25-2010, 11:27 AM
Well, Figured our one thing for sure, need to hire a Dozer for a day and get the stumps out and get the berm pushed up.

1Shirt
09-25-2010, 02:05 PM
Muddy, I envy you having the capacity to put up a 500 yarder range!
1Shirt!:coffee:

lwknight
09-25-2010, 03:56 PM
This cable thing makes me try to think but , so far nothing happens.

jsizemore
09-25-2010, 04:54 PM
Well, Figured our one thing for sure, need to hire a Dozer for a day and get the stumps out and get the berm pushed up.

Excavator with a thumb and blade will get a bunch accomplished.

Safeshot
09-27-2010, 11:24 AM
You may want to purchase the "NRA" publication/book "The NRA Range Source Book, A Guide to Planning & Construction". National Rifle Association, Range Department, Field Operations Division, 11250 Waples Mill Road, Fairfax, Virginia 22030. This book gives a lot of detailed information on all phases and areas of Range features, design and construction. Check out web site http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/sourcebook.asp Also, be sure to check out the "CD Version" it is much lower priced.
Hope you find this helpful. Safeshot

Wayne Smith
09-28-2010, 01:31 PM
Get a rangefinder if you don't have one. Stake out 50yds, 100yds, 200yds, 300yds, and 400yds. from your shooting point. When the dozer is there have him put a berm at each. You can shoot shorter ranges at the 50yd line. Give yourself as much flexability as you can. You are building for years, not just for today.

Don't forget to have him make a road all he way to 500yds as he cleans out the stumps. Don't just clean out the stumps at the berms, clean out the entire firing line. You will have to bush hog the firing line a couple of times a year or more, depending on your local population of snakes and other reptiles.

a.squibload
09-29-2010, 04:03 AM
Don't forget a large cabin near the range 'cause we're all comin' over!

09-29-2010, 09:50 AM
Don't forget a large cabin near the range 'cause we're all comin' over!

exactly what i was thinkin'

shooterg
09-29-2010, 01:55 PM
NRA store has these, what I've used to surround our 80 acres. Only have a convenient 200 yard natural berm, like to open the woods up like you some day !

Muddy Creek Sam
09-29-2010, 11:46 PM
Arranged for a Dozer and a trackhoe to come in next week to get everything smoothed out and have a large berm put up. Will be putting in a 12' tall X 6' thick berm. Probably 20' wide. Selling lead to pay for this.

WILCO
10-01-2010, 02:23 AM
You're gonna wanna have a pit made with "Jersey Barriers" so some folks can be safely down range setting up/scoring targets. Plus having them run the "movers". Might as well throw in the charcoal grill for cooking lunch too.

Muddy Creek Sam
10-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Pictures at http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=1019865&postcount=33

jsizemore
10-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Looks good. Target area looks to be well lighted. A little grass and hunting will be easy. A little lespedeza on the shooting lane for the quail. Looks like fun.

CLAYPOOL
10-07-2010, 01:18 AM
I have my 100 yd done w/sand as the stop for bullets. I will "mine" it if things get EPA worse in the yeays to come. I used rail road crossing timbers for my side wings + old ties for the back wall and side walls. I set R.R. ties for posts + roofed it with used barn tin. The dirt that was dug out was dumped behind the box I built and filled with 12 tons of sand. 4' deep by apx 8 feet log + 4 feet wide. I also later dug some more dirt out in front + also dumped behind the "box". The 200 yd. point is across my wetland in the middle of a 450 lenth dam. Nothing done on taht point yet. The 300 yard point will require my to fire from my gun room in the back of the pole shed over the wetland to the other end on dry ground. The wetland is several feet lower than the flight path. I too am considering what to build for a berm there. It requires thought as I know both of my neighbors in that direction. The State of Illinois builds very high dirt berms with metal sheets @ the top to deflect down any high shots. I do like the wire containers - fabric lined + fill w/dirt.
SEE YUW
CLAYPOOL

jsizemore
10-07-2010, 07:46 PM
A neighbor had a large oak tree cut down. 4' across the stump. The tree guys had a couple of 3' long sections of the trunk that they were going to have trouble getting in the truck. I offered to take them off their hands for free.

I got my 4'x8' tilting trialer and rolled them up one at a time. I positioned them in front of the berm with the axis of the trunk facing me. I put a little tin over the top to slow the rot and used them for my target backers. When they wouldn't hold a staple anymore I nailed a piece of plywood to the front. After 5 years and a little fire I recovered a good chunk of lead without a lot of digging.

Hope this helps.

Muddy Creek Sam
10-07-2010, 08:04 PM
A neighbor had a large oak tree cut down. 4' across the stump. The tree guys had a couple of 3' long sections of the trunk that they were going to have trouble getting in the truck. I offered to take them off their hands for free.

I got my 4'x8' tilting trialer and rolled them up one at a time. I positioned them in front of the berm with the axis of the trunk facing me. I put a little tin over the top to slow the rot and used them for my target backers. When they wouldn't hold a staple anymore I nailed a piece of plywood to the front. After 5 years and a little fire I recovered a good chunk of lead without a lot of digging.

Hope this helps.

Didn't have anything that big taken down, but If I run across any large chunks of log, Will definitely try to get them.

Muddy Creek Sam
10-20-2010, 12:12 PM
Berm is being put up as I Type, 12' high, 20' Wide and 6' thick.