PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Mail in Alloy Analysis?

Zbench
09-13-2010, 12:48 PM
I've been giving serious thought to buying an XRF type hand held analysis unit. These things use Xrays to excite the metal in your alloy, and can tell by the Xrays that are emitted what the type and relative percent of the metals present in the alloy are.

These things are expensive, to the tune of $25K. My question to the forum is, if I were to invest in one, how much or how often would folks use it to mail in samples for analysis? Rotometals offers a similar service for $70, I was thinking $40.

I figure if I could get 10 samples or so a month, it would be worth taking the risk on it. Please reply if you have been waiting for this sort of thing, or think you would use it on a regular basis.

Regards,

Pete

iammarkjones
09-13-2010, 03:43 PM
I have a friend with access to a mass spectrometer so I wouldn't make a good customer. However even with free access I have never felt the need to have an analysis. If it's to hard add lead to soft add WW, I am only after hunting accuracy.

qajaq59
09-13-2010, 03:56 PM
I wouldn't likely be a customer either as I get my lead locally in small batches. But some of the guys get a ton at a time so it might be worth it to them?

Springfield
09-13-2010, 04:05 PM
I hae bought lead from probably 30 different places and never felt the need to have it analyzed. I bought a 100.00 LBT lead hardness tester and have been perfectly happy.

JIMinPHX
09-13-2010, 04:18 PM
I've never gotten anything analyzed. If it fills out good when I cast with it & comes up at the right hardness, I'm done.

I'm not saying that metals shouldn't be tested. I'm just saying that I've never done it for the stuff that I cast with.

Some scrap yards have analysis equipment. I never really looked into what types they use. Some of them are pretty small & portable.

sagacious
09-13-2010, 08:19 PM
I, also, have never required alloy analysis of lead for pouring/swaging bullets. From my point of view, it's results I'm after, and excellent, consistent results can be had without an XRF analysis. Good luck.

Cherokee
09-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Whereas I might find it interesting to know the specific alloy some time, I don't think I care enough to pay for an analysis. Most of my metal is a known alloy (WW, Lino, Lead) and I can mix accordingly to get what I want, or close enough. Has worked for me for many years.

johnly
09-13-2010, 08:56 PM
I've been giving serious thought to buying an XRF type hand held analysis unit. These things use Xrays to excite the metal in your alloy, and can tell by the Xrays that are emitted what the type and relative percent of the metals present in the alloy are.

These things are expensive, to the tune of $25K. My question to the forum is, if I were to invest in one, how much or how often would folks use it to mail in samples for analysis? Rotometals offers a similar service for $70, I was thinking $40.

I figure if I could get 10 samples or so a month, it would be worth taking the risk on it. Please reply if you have been waiting for this sort of thing, or think you would use it on a regular basis.

Regards,

Pete

I have a Niton unit. Doing a lead assay is about a 3 minute task.

John

Bob Krack
09-13-2010, 09:14 PM
I have a Niton unit. Doing a lead assay is about a 3 minute task.

John
:drinks:

Bill*
09-13-2010, 10:08 PM
Every batch I melt will be different because of mixed supplys. And to be honest, I don't see myself needing that precision either.

imashooter2
09-13-2010, 10:46 PM
Even if you get 10 a month initially, you are going to be hard pressed to continue that for the better than 5 years it would take to pay off the machine. Doesn't seem like you can make a business case.

geargnasher
09-13-2010, 11:11 PM
Not to discourage you, Pete, but I have to agree with all the above and pretty much say the same thing. I would love to know exactly how much antimony, tin, arsenic, aluminum and copper was in that last batch of WW I melted down, or that batch of battery cable ends, but it doesn't bother me enough to ship a sample and a check to have it tested. It would be nice, but honestly I don't think I would ever use the service. If I run into a deal on 1500 lbs of sailboat keel I would pay to have a sample analyzed, but as you pointed out Rotometals already offers this service, and there are plenty of other places to go

As a side note, having an assay on each individual batch of your own range lead that you smelt yourself increases it's value to me, but I don't assume that just because the batch you tested last year was x percent whatever doesn't mean it will be the same this year.

Gear

lwknight
09-14-2010, 01:50 AM
I would be in the same boat as everyone else. With no need for extreme precision and using S.G test, melting/phase and hardness I can guess it pretty close.
In case of mystery metal that will not play my game I just make weights out of it.

It may be kinda personal to suggest but , In my experience , buying tools that I want and think using them to serve others to help defray the cost never worked out.
I think you should only buy what you need to support your own business unless you are just
wealthy and can afford unnecessary toys.

Zbench
09-14-2010, 08:52 AM
Appreciate the feedback guys. My main motivation is to use it to prepare custom alloys for sale, but considered this as a possible way to defer some of the cost.

Pete

southpaw
09-14-2010, 09:44 AM
I have a few things that I wouldn't mind knowing what is in them but I am not going to pay $40 let alone $70 to find out. If the price was around $15 I would pay that to find out. Good luck with your endeavors.

Jerry Jr.

Echo
09-14-2010, 12:44 PM
+1 for all the above...

cbrick
09-14-2010, 01:39 PM
Interesting but 25G . . . Wow.

I've got about 800 pounds of CWW from several small batches all blended together for one large batch and I get very consistent results. Such a test for me would be nothing more than a curiosity just because inquiring minds want to know. If I did pay for a test it would be a one time thing just for the curiosity of it. I think it would be nearly impossible to re-coup much of 25G unless it would be a worthwhile expenditure for your business.

Rick

starbits
09-14-2010, 02:00 PM
I considered doing this as well, but the cost was way too much. I figured that most guys here only melt in 100 pound batches so you needed to get the cost down to $5 or $10 ie. 5-10 cents a pound before you would get much interest. I even thought of renting one for a couple weeks figuring 100 samples at $5 each would cover a $500 rental fee. Then I found they wanted $2000 PER WEEK for a rental and it just didn't make sense.

Starbits

Fixxah
09-14-2010, 07:49 PM
I would think the hammer mould would make more money and with less investment. JMHO

82nd airborne
09-14-2010, 07:52 PM
As long as it shoots good I dont really care what is in it, so I couldnt justify the funds either.