PDA

View Full Version : lead boolits and leading w/ BP

kennisondan
09-12-2010, 06:50 PM
Hi : I thought I would find likely more specific information her on not ending p wit leading using a pur lead or almost pure soft lead conical....
and of course not haveing a problem with lead mining after shooting

I do have a front stuffer and would be switching from the covered bullets I used to shoot in it to real lead and real BP..
I am also shooting BPCR.. starting soon I aill have all the components and accessories for that..
I have some 20 /1 alloy but may have some pure lead in the form of some diving weights and may just buy cast pure lead if I can find them.... I know the lead balls I have left over fromt e past seem pure lead.. so I figure there is a lot o knowlege to tap into

I read paper patching a pure lead bullet has one advantage of soft lead projectiles.. without paper patching with a low speed 460 cast bullet would a soft lead bullet .. can a soft lead bullet avoid fouling with a good lube ?

I was thinking on a gas check added to a really soft lead bullet but I was always under the impression that unless over say 1400 fps the gas check could get stuck ????? is that correct ? if not .. is that the answer to not paper patching and getting no leading with asoftlead bullet.. I am toyhing with the idea of having target and plinking loadsusing some of the more stadard allow mistures, but I am just really obsessing about a dead soft boolit for a whitetail .. if it is heavy enough I will still get full penetration despite the deformation of the slug.. and the slug ought to get pretty expanded if pushed at least enough and hits enough resistance for at least that to occur..

so can it work that way ? soft slug about a thousand fps and leaving no leading ?
using a gas check at 1000 fps .... stops leading ?
what do you masters of the black think ?
what do you masters of the galena think ?
gas checkers ?
thanks
dk

mooman76
09-12-2010, 10:30 PM
I would go with an over powder wad before I tried a GC. You should not have a leading problem even without the wad. I have never had a leading problem in any of my ML's. You didn't say what kind of gun and twist rate you would have.

StrawHat
09-13-2010, 06:39 AM
In a muzzle loader, I have used a patched round ball with great effect on white tailed deer, often getting complete penetration. I have not gone below 54 caliber for deer so can not comment on the small bore. In cartridges, I have use paper patch and plain lead and rarely had leading with either. Soft alloys with a proper lube and black powder seems to work fine. I would avoaid a gas check as I don't need extra expenses for something as simple as reloading a blackpowder cartridge. Try the overpowder wad, they protect the base of the boolit.

qajaq59
09-14-2010, 11:36 AM
I just started using over powder wads with the Lee conical bullet, cast in soft lead, and it worked very well. And I've never had any leading problem with the ML. With or without a wad. However I couldn't get any accuracy until someone in here told me to try the wad.