PDA

View Full Version : Trying my hand at soft nosed boolits

Matt3357
09-12-2010, 06:32 PM
I got my hands on an old roof flashing that is soft as butter that I want to use for the nose of some soft nosed boolits. I have the lee 158gr Flat nosed boolit and I purchased a lee .350 round ball mould. That comes out to approximately 64 grains of lead nose. That is around 40% of the weight for the soft lead. I have read most of the articles on making soft nosed boolits and I think I have a technique figured out. I am going to heat the mould with a hot plate, drop a soft lead ball in each cavity and let them melt, fill the rest of the cavity with WW and either water drop or air cool. Which should I do? I plan on testing these for use on IL Whitetails this fall. Any Tips or Tricks I should know about?

Matt

Mk42gunner
09-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Matt,

When I cast a few soft noses for my .45 Colt ai used BruceB's method of heating the mold on top of the ww alloy in the pot.

If it were me, I would cool the boolits the same way I did regular ones; i.e. if you normally water drop, then waterdrop the softnoses. I normally shoot ACWW so I air cooled mine.

Robert