PDA

View Full Version : 28 gauge Dixie M/L shotgun

Newtire
09-11-2010, 06:03 PM
I just bought a 28 gauge off GunBroker. It is the kind like Dixie Gun Works sold back in the late 60's.

Was wondering if anyone has any experience loading for one of these. I have a .410 M/L that will bust clay pigeons hand trap thrown so this thing looks like it would be just a touch better.

I would like to try a roundball in it of course but wondered more about any suggested shot loads. Looks like it would be a fun little gun.

Newtire
09-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Pretty much answered my own question by doing a little research and reading the sticky by Waksupi. Sounds like a 28 gauge uses around 55-60 gr. black powder and 3/4-7/8 oz. of shot-max. Will be fun to try on close up claybirds at the range, Now, all I have to do is wait for it to show up from the guy I bought it from on Gunbroker.

waksupi
09-11-2010, 11:43 PM
Mine shoots shot well. Good for clays out to around 25 yards, then the pattern gets a bit sparse.
I use a .510- ball, with pillow ticking for RB.

northmn
09-12-2010, 11:46 AM
I had one years ago and even killed a few ruffed grouse with it. You need to be close. It was a tight fit with a 530 bare roundball. The laod you mentioned will work.

DP