PDA

View Full Version : Lead Shot for Cast Boolits

Nesretep
09-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Greetings:

I've run across a brick (35 lbs) of lead alloy. Basically made up of scrap lead shot.
Anyone use this for boolet casting, say for pistol bullets and low-velocity 30-30 boolits? Any suggestions on adding tin or wheel weights???

fryboy
09-11-2010, 03:23 PM
why the thumbs down ? lead shot - especially in the smaller sizes - is a great way to add arsenic and a bit of antimony to the mix , quite true not what u want for ummm softer alloy's as both the arsenic and antimony are used to harden boolits, antimony makes lead harder and so much more so than tin and arsenic helps to be able to heat treat the alloy ermm castings , i dont use it straight but often put a cupful per 20# mix , more than about 2-3% tin isnt much help , alot will depend upon the shot that was melted into the ingot , the smaller sizes are preferred , i'd try casting with it and add tin as needed for fill-out btw ? 35#s of alloy beats no alloy ;)

Calamity Jake
09-11-2010, 03:30 PM
I'm with fryboy, use it for enrichment metal!!!

jar-wv
09-11-2010, 03:35 PM
I use #8 reclaimed chilled lead shot for 38 special and 45 acp boolits with good results.

jar

geargnasher
09-11-2010, 03:40 PM
+1 Fryboy, good cheap sweetener for soft range scrap and roofing lead, all it needs is a bit of tin added as well. Straight it's more like hardball, which is fine but not as economical as softer alloys tend to be.

Gear

Gohon
09-11-2010, 11:35 PM
You'll only get the benefit of arsenic sweetener if it is magnum shot.

zxcvbob
09-11-2010, 11:39 PM
Lead shot contains no tin at all. Just keep that in mind. Other than that, it's good hard lead, especially if you get it cheap.

09-12-2010, 12:16 AM
I echo that- NO thumbs down. A mixed quantity of range-reclaimed shot should have at least some of the expensive alloying goodies. As Gohon posted, the "magnum" or premium shot will have much more of the goodies. You might cast a couple of sample bullets and check the BHN. Chilled shot is fairly soft. "Magnum" shot is a little harder. A mixture will be somewhere in between.

WKAYE
09-12-2010, 06:21 AM
You'll only get the benefit of arsenic sweetener if it is magnum shot.

Not true. All shot contains arsenic, it's what makes the falling drops round.

missionary5155
09-12-2010, 06:45 AM
Good morning
Lead shot is fine by me. Figure out itīs harness and if possible the ingredients and use it appropriately.

Gohon
09-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Not true. All shot contains arsenic, it's what makes the falling drops round

You are correct.........antimony is what I had on my mind. Arsenic is present in both chilled and magnum shot but it is the antimony that will greatly affect the hardness. Arsenic merely acts as a catalyst affecting the hardness curve, especially when water dropping or heat treating. Range scrap lead shot probable already has all the arsenic it needs anyway as anything over .25% arsenic is not beneficial but the addition of magnum shot will increase the antimony which will be beneficial.

dnepr
09-12-2010, 12:50 PM
what about hornady buck shot , I have some of that around would it make a good "sweetener" ?

fryboy
09-12-2010, 01:00 PM
what about hornady buck shot , I have some of that around would it make a good "sweetener" ?

i could be wrong but believe it's produced by the same machinery that they use to swage pure lead balls for muzzle loaders , tho they do have what they call ( IIRC) hardball for use in sabots that is known to be harder alloy.... i looked at the hornady site and didnt find any details of the composition of their buckshot , a e-mail or a fone call would answer ur question correctly tho as their help staff has always been helpful