PDA

View Full Version : Progress! (..with my Henry...)

j23
09-11-2010, 02:30 PM
Well, I just wanted to share my sense of accomplishment with everyone...

My Uberti Henry 45LC is ready for deer season..

WW cases.
CCI Large Rifle primers.
8.0g Unique
Lee 45-255-RF straight wheelweights- water quenched (...avg. about 262 grs.)

I havent had a chance to chrono them yet.. my buddy has been busy with his chrono so I havent had the chance to borrow it yet.. I just need to buy one already..

At any rate.. I sighted her in (old school style; I had to file on the front sight...) at 50 yards. About 3 inches down at 75 yards. At 50 yards, Im throwing three shots into groups between an inch and a half, to two inches. I can easily hit the bottom of a pop can at 50 yards; the whole can at 75.. Im not sure of the velocity, but I am going to guess about 1000 fps out of that 24" barrel? Anyone have a guess???

I figure 75 yards max, those hard cast 45 Lee bullets are going to shoot through at just about any angle. I wont get any expansion, but the meplat is REAL wide, so it should displace some tissue, Im going for a shoulder break or double lung, and I should be able to eat right up to the hole. Im going to give her a try for doe season.. maybe even buck season. Shes heavy, but balances perfect, and she's GORGEOUS!!!

Thoughts on the velocity, or anything for that matter? Everyone think Ill be ok with my load?

geargnasher
09-11-2010, 03:59 PM
I personally would load a little hotter than that so I didn't have to file the front blade, but I'll also be the first to tell you that I think you have plenty enough gun, load and boolit to to a fine job of putting venison in the freezer. I don't know about the BBL length adding that much to velocity, but that's about a 750 fps load out of the only 7-1/2" revolver I chrono'd with Unique IIRC. Sans cylinder gap and almost triple the barrel, you might be 1k fps.

I have one of those, too, in fact I'm putting the finishing touches on a new Black Walnut stock this weekend, bedding the tang and finishing the wrist checkering. I've often thought of trying to hunt with it inside 50 yards, but my .30-30 keeps getting the open sight nod.

FYI, 9.5-10 grains of HS6 has proven to be THE go-to powder for a whole pack of .45 Colts I have or family has, it shoots to point of aim under 250grain boolits in two open-tops, a New Vaquero, the Henry, two Blackhawks, and a Lightning. I'm getting right at 800 FPS with 9.8 grains in two different revolvers.

Enjoy!

Gear