PDA

View Full Version : Need Reloading Press Recommendations

Harry
09-10-2010, 10:30 PM
I presently am using an old Lyman EZY-LOADER press, which is doing OK. I use the old original 30-30, 30-06, 38/357 dies and shell holders. I also bought new Lyman carbide dies for my 40 S&W, which required the J to X shellholder adapter. Now I will be reloading 338 Lapoa's. I feel it is time to modernize and get a new press. Before I buy any dies and shellholders for the 338, I want to get the press. I would like to get one that will accept my new Lyman dies and new type shellholders. A single stage is fine, and I am limited in finances. Somewhere in the $200-$400 range. Any recommendations?

Thanks
Harry

Heavy lead
09-10-2010, 10:34 PM
Lee Classic Cast single stage. I have one and in fact load .338 Lapua, .338 Ultra Mag, as well as .416 Rigby, it works well, and it'll only cost around $100. If you are interested in a set of .338 Lapua dies, I have an extra set of Lyman, I bought two, as a friend had me order him a set, then he elected to just have me reload for him.
Let me know if you're interested.

09-10-2010, 10:36 PM
rockchucker, is cheaper then your price range and also has a great warrenty.

HeavyMetal
09-10-2010, 10:38 PM
I think I'd take a good hard look at Lee's Classic Cast press if I was in the market for a new out of the box press.

Runner up's would be a good used RCBS Rock Chucker or the Bonanza CO-AX press.

If your going to load a lot of rifle rounds look around for the Bonanza press accuracy is better than top of the line unless it has been drug coast to coast behind someones car!

zxcvbob
09-10-2010, 10:43 PM
If you can find an old C&H model 444 or 333 press on eBay, pounce on it. (ch4d.com still sells them but they are very expensive.) I think Texan and Pacific also sold "H" style presses but I don't know if they take modern shellholders.

lylejb
09-10-2010, 11:32 PM
midway has the RCBS rockchucker for $137,

RCBS has a lifetime warrenty, and is good about service.

Should do most anything smaller than .50 BMG, takes standard dies and shellholders, and will outlast most people.

Also has a $10 rebate if that helps.

I bought it's smaller brother, the reloader special (3), about 20 years ago. still using it, no complaints.

At the time, the RS was cheeper than the rockchucker, now it's a $10 difference.

Thought some day I would " move up"....haven't needed to yet!

HTH

Russ in WY
09-10-2010, 11:42 PM
Best bet for my money ,have it & the Classic turret, both winners. My 2¢ Russ.

zxcvbob
09-10-2010, 11:59 PM
OK, forget what I said about eBay. I just looked at the reloading equipment there and was shocked. :shock: The prices have tripled in the past couple of years; used equipment is now selling for more than the same items sell for new elsewhere.

eBay was a good place to buy reloading stuff five years ago. I'm not sure when they got all ridiculous.

KYCaster
09-11-2010, 12:14 AM
I'm not a big fan of Lee progressive presses, but I can't find any fault with their Classic Cast single stage press.

Plenty of leverage, very rigid, handles spent primers as well as any other press and better than most.

The only beef I had was with the positive stop on the ram travel....can't make it "cam over", but I soon learned that with a rigid press that isn't necessary.

Got mine off the Lee Specials/Close Out page for $85.00 IIRC....heck-of-a-deal.

Try it, you'll like it.
Jerry

R.C. Hatter
09-11-2010, 12:27 AM
:coffeecom I have used RCBS presses for over 50 years with complete satisfaction. They stand behind their products with a lifetime warranty. I sent my first Rock Chucker back to get them to put a new ram in it, as it was worn from loading untold thousands of rounds. They promptly sent me a brand new Rock Chucker. They have also replaced a sizing die or two for me over the years. The initial cost may be higher, but it's worth it over the long haul.

Az Rick
09-11-2010, 12:40 AM
I've been totally satisfied with my RCBS press. I have a turret press, extra turrets are about 40 bucks or so, you can set up 2 calibers per turret. It takes just a minute to change them out. Really makes changing calibers quick and easy, everything stays in adjustment. You might take a look at one.

Good Luck, Rick

Midway has them for $199.99

Wots
09-11-2010, 12:46 AM
[QUOTE=KYCaster;995606]I'm not a big fan of Lee progressive presses, QUOTE]

I sure do agree with you on this. I had one for three days before I sent it back. I got it to work ok but it was to fussy.

I have been reloading with the RCBS Rock Chucker with a Piggy Back Progressive.

Then I purchased a Lee Classic Turret Press. I'm starting to like it more then the RCBS. Its a lot cheaper to change out the caliber. Less then $15 bucks (without the dies) All you would need is a shell holder and a turrent.

Wayne Smith
09-11-2010, 10:54 AM
midway has the RCBS rockchucker for $137,

RCBS has a lifetime warrenty, and is good about service.

Should do most anything smaller than .50 BMG, takes standard dies and shellholders, and will outlast most people.

Also has a $10 rebate if that helps.

I bought it's smaller brother, the reloader special (3), about 20 years ago. still using it, no complaints.

At the time, the RS was cheeper than the rockchucker, now it's a $10 difference.

Thought some day I would " move up"....haven't needed to yet!

HTH

I just wanted to correct the above information. The Rockchucker will take the .50BMG, it has the removable insert to take the larger dies. This means that it can be used with shotgun dies, too. The smaller RCBS presses do not have this feature.

RobS
09-11-2010, 01:47 PM
The Lee is a solid press and there is the ability to take out the thread standard 7/8-14 insert and the press can then accept 1 1/4-12 large series dies as does the RCBS Rockchucker. I don't figure that either the RCBS Rockchucker or the Lee Classic Cast to have any mechanical issues, however there is the possiblity with everything and RCBS does have good warrenty. I would imagine that Lee would work with you for a valid reason as they always have when I spoke with a service tech about issues. That said I went with the Lee because when I bought it a some years back it was going for around $80.

BruceB
09-11-2010, 02:31 PM
I just wanted to correct the above information. The Rockchucker will take the .50BMG, it has the removable insert to take the larger dies. This means that it can be used with shotgun dies, too. The smaller RCBS presses do not have this feature.

Something didn't seem quite right here, so I went out back and checked my machines, as well as the Midway specs on RCBS presses.

First, there is NO WAY that my Rockchucker can accommodate a .50 BMG cartridge. The throat of the press (maximum distance from ram to die) is too short to allow insertion of an empty .50BMG CASE, let alone a loaded round.

Secondly, the die bushing in the R/C is threaded 1.25"x12 tpi, while the RCBS .50BMG dies are 1.5"x12 tpi. Lee .50 dies are indeed 1.25x12tpi, but there is still no way that the Rockchucker can accept a .50 case or loaded round.

I just don't want anyone buying a Rockchucker in expectation of loading .50BMG on it. Ain't a-gonna happen!

Hardcast416taylor
09-11-2010, 03:03 PM
I know my rock chucker won`t take a 50 round. Call me an old fart, if you will, but I doubt I`ll buy another RCBS press as long as they are made in China. I`ll look at the LEE first. I used to be a great defender of RCBS, now I`m doubtful.Robert

frankenfab
09-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Another vote for the Lee Classic Cast 1 stage.

Idaho Sharpshooter
09-12-2010, 02:45 AM
RCBS A4

Rich

Jumbopanda
09-12-2010, 02:50 AM
Lee Classic Cast Turret all the way.

geargnasher
09-12-2010, 02:59 AM
Lee Classic Cast Turret all the way.

+1

Best all around press out there IMO. Tight, accurate, repeatable. I have an RCBS Ammomaster (the one that DOES take the .50 BMG dies when you remove the insert) and the ram is just too wobbly for concentric rifle ammo, although they replaced the ram and base no charge when I tried to buy the parts. Great customer service, just seems they don't make the products I need.

Also, the RCBS turret press, I've used one and the turret wobbled like a drunken sailor under pressure, hated the thing.

You can't beat the interchangability of the Lee Classic Cast turret heads, and it takes all standard shellholders and dies.

Gear

zxcvbob
09-12-2010, 03:19 PM
Did you check to see if you can adapt the Lyman press to modern shellholders? Maybe something like this would fit it? http://www.ch4d.com/catalog/?p=63

cephas53
09-14-2010, 06:45 PM
Have had a rockchucker for the last 25 years or so, been great no problems. The mounting points for this press are on the sides. When doing a heavy project last winter forming cases I wished for two things. One was a sturdier bench, this has been taken care of. Two was a third mounting point in back of the press. Maybe next time, with a sturdier bench, it'll be different.

fryboy
09-14-2010, 07:07 PM
ahhh ...opinions , we all have them and they all have their merit ...$400 will buy a nice press!!! several in fact !!! ye olde rockchucker is undoubtably stouter than needs be as are many other old presses , the new ones i cant say , i will say that the cast line to lee's presses rocked to be fair i do like various turret presses best ( it just makes sense ) i also like the co-ax press for much the same reason ! snap change ! sure beats fiddlin' n fussin' ! tried alot of old presses and quite a few newer ones , of all those perhaps the only one i miss is the lyman spar-t ( call me crazy i dont care ) but the classic cast turret is easier to catch primers and change turrets and the turrets arent terribly expensive , the classic cast single stage is just as sweet and both are about the price of a few used rock chuckers leaving more money for other important things like primers n powder n tin and such ( but i sometimes gaze fondly at that co-ax in the add .....)

zxcvbob
09-14-2010, 07:16 PM
but i sometimes gaze fondly at that co-ax in the add..... I do too. Especially when I'm trying to resize something weird, like 7.62 Nagant Revolver, without the proper shellholder (I'm not sure there even is a proper shellholder for that one)

Bret4207
09-15-2010, 07:12 AM
I have several presses. My favorite is the Forster Co-Ax. It won't do 50 BMG, but I have no desire or intention of ever owning one, so it's a non-issue for me. I also won't handle the Lee push through sizer as the handle design is wrong, but that's why God invented simple, cheap "C" presses.

dromia
09-16-2010, 02:26 AM
Concur, I have numerous presses also but the Co-Ax is my go to. Hate to be down to only one but if I had to then it would be the Co-Ax.

azcruiser
09-17-2010, 01:15 AM
I have more than most all the current ones from lee hand and hammer set to Dillon 1050S which I have 2. The Forster Co-Ax would be the way I would go you don't need all the shell holders dies pop in and out and it's problem free

Bret4207
09-17-2010, 06:41 AM
Yup, and built like a bank vault, smooth as glass.

tonyjones
09-18-2010, 12:13 AM
The Forster Coax Press is a terrific tool that is easy to use and capable of loading very concentric ammunition. If you load wildcats and get into case forming I prefer the Redding UltraMag which is my go to press.
Regards,
Tony

OeldeWolf
09-21-2010, 01:06 AM
My main press is the Forster co-ax. Everything others have said, and I love their priming system. I also have a small Partner press, and a rockchucker , and an old one I bought to think about getting into swaging with. NBt the Co-AX is my goto press.

376Steyr
09-21-2010, 01:12 PM
C-H Heavy Duty Champion press. The Chuck Norris of standard presses (skipping over the monsters built for 50 BMG). I bought mine in 1978, and it hasn't even thought about beginning to show any wear.

Wayne Smith
09-21-2010, 02:49 PM
I do too. Especially when I'm trying to resize something weird, like 7.62 Nagant Revolver, without the proper shellholder (I'm not sure there even is a proper shellholder for that one)

Just for information try the .223 shell holder. I'm making brass for my Nagant revolver out of .223 brass, a 30 Carbine die set, my arbor press, and my wood lathe. I use a 32-20 sizing die to put a small crimp on it. That fits in the forcing cone.