PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried silicone baking gloves?

prickett
09-09-2010, 11:17 PM
Has anyone tried the silicone baking gloves I see on infomercials for casting purposes? If so, how do they work?

HeavyMetal
09-09-2010, 11:33 PM
I have a set of these for cooking in the house.

Without fingers these are just mitts nothing more. If you were handling hot ingots maybe to cast with not enough dexterity.

Now if they have gotten a set with fingers it might work, I have handled some pretty hot baked goods and felt no heat with the silicone gloves I have but I have worried about loosing my grip on some heavy stuff, 23 pound turkey last Thanksgiving!

Frank46
09-10-2010, 12:35 AM
I use a set of welder's gloves. Can get them at home depot or lowe's. Well worth the money and extra length also gives more protection. Frank

Artful
09-10-2010, 01:28 AM
I use the silicon mitts to handle hot suppressors, works well and hot liquid or steam doesn't penetrate.
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/253366392/heat_proof_silicone_glove_and_oven_mitt_v0.jpg_200 x200.jpg
- works well for unscrewing a hot one,
just don't hang on too long as eventually the heat will come thru
- and of course you have to wait for the can to cool done to 500 F or so before trying to use 'em.

these look more adaptable but I have not tried them for anything.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41wYedB5cGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/Gloves-Glove-Made-resistant-Non-slip-Silicone/dp/B001IIGJTY
Oven Glove-Made of Nomex Heat resistant Fiber, Non-slip Silicone Grip

lwknight
09-10-2010, 04:29 AM
Hard to beat welding gloves. Check out several different brands.
Some are sooooft and nice. Get the lined gloves.
Some are hard and tough and even have no liners in them.

Bret4207
09-10-2010, 06:38 AM
What do you need gloves for? Seriously. Unless you're opening your sprue plate with the hand why do you need them?

chris in va
09-10-2010, 06:58 AM
What do you need gloves for? Seriously. Unless you're opening your sprue plate with the hand why do you need them?

It's really early in the morning but...are you serious?

But anyway I tried those 'Ove Gloves' and they're a little too thick for any kind of dexterity, plus they don't cover your wrists.

qajaq59
09-10-2010, 08:21 AM
If you are going to use gloves, be sure they are large enough to come off quickly. Otherwise if the heat does make it thru, you're going to be hurting while trying to get them off.

44man
09-10-2010, 08:28 AM
My question too. I have cast lead in one form or another from fishing sinkers when I was a kid, for well over 60 years. At least 56 years with boolits. I cast with no gloves and wear a "T" shirt.
Never burned myself. My bench and pot will have no lead splatters on them, everything as clean as when I start casting. My molds are clean of splatters at all times.
Now a friend will have as much lead on the garage floor, bench and pot as he does in the pot. Good place to mine lead.
It depends on how a guy casts and how sloppy he is. I suppose a fire mans outfit is needed. :bigsmyl2:

Dale53
09-10-2010, 09:11 AM
Well, you can color me "sloppy" then[smilie=1:. I got burned with molten lead when a teenager. It was my fault but it happened. I was new to casting and wanted to look at a bullet just out of the mould. I picked the bullet up with the alloy stirring spoon. I held the spoon and bullet under a stream of water to cool it. Then, I laid the spoon next to the pot. The spoon had a skim of lead over the end. Apparently, a drop or two of water ran under the skim. Later, I stuck the spoon in the molten alloy to stir (I thought that you had to stir the pot from time to time to keep the "ingredients" mixed). Immediately, upon placing the spoon into the pot, I had a steam explosion.

My eyes were filled with molten droplets of lead. Fortunately, the lead droplets were very fine (kind of like WC 820 ball powder). The moisture in my eyes cooled them quickly. However, I had to dig out the lead "sand" stuck to the inside of my eyelids. I suffered no permanent damage. However, I had "red eyes" for a few days and it scared the "bejabbers" out of me. I had glasses on at the time but the lead just sprayed everywhere including the ceiling.

I don't go overboard, but wear a cap (molten lead sticks to hair and continues to burn) and wear two layers of 100% cotton clothing (NO synthetics). My pant legs cover my boot tops. Again, I wear glasses (in my above accident, my glasses were ruined but they saved my eyesight even tho' some lead got by them). I wear a cloth shop apron over my clothes. I wear welder's gloves as I open the sprue plate with my hand.

I have had some minor lead splashes from time to time but it is never a problem because I am covered.

I applaud those who don't need protection. I, and many others like me, DO need some protection. For most of us ordinary mortals, it's not IF but WHEN an accident will occur. Covering exposed skin is easy and painless, unlike recovering from third degree burns...

I was a major case claims representative for thirty years. Half of my business was composed of industrial plants (the other half was personal lines - cars, home owners, motorcycles, etc). Not ONE of the accidents I investigated were of people who anticipated an accident...

Keep yourself safe, folks...

By the way, I have used Silicone baking mitts around the stove and they wouldn't work for me. Welding gloves, at the store, seem too stiff to work well. However, before the first session is over they have softened considerably and become quite manageable. I have worn two pairs out over the years (I am on my third pair) but I wouldn't be without them.

Dale53

Jeffrey
09-10-2010, 10:53 AM
PPE - That's Personal Protective Equipment for you white collar types that have not had it pounded it into your head for years. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Jeffrey

blackthorn
09-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Working around molten metal without spill, spatter or worse, is like hunting in the snow and you havent seen any game tracks----dont mean they aint there---just means they havent passed yet and are still on the way! Stay safe!

lwknight
09-10-2010, 12:09 PM
I'll fess up , I don't use gloves for casting but find they are greatly benificial when smelting , dipping , stirring and pouring lead stuff

roysha
09-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Working around molten metal without spill, spatter or worse, is like hunting in the snow and you havent seen any game tracks----dont mean they aint there---just means they havent passed yet and are still on the way! Stay safe!

Yeah, or like walking around in your house in a fire proof suit because it may burn down. Just because it hasn't, doesn't mean it won't.:rolleyes:

I'm with 44MAN 100%.

44man
09-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Yeah, or like walking around in your house in a fire proof suit because it may burn down. Just because it hasn't, doesn't mean it won't.:rolleyes:

I'm with 44MAN 100%.
Thank you. It just takes common sense and knowing the dangers to avoid them. I don't touch wires until I am sure the juice is off.

sourceofuncertainty
09-10-2010, 12:35 PM
To each his own, but I use welder's gloves + a full face mask. I'm careful and have yet to have a problem, but I don't see any reason not to play it safe.

44man
09-10-2010, 04:20 PM
I needed some 420 gr, .475 boolits. I cast today and have a small area I cast in. Here is what everything looks like at the end. Also zero rejects, 100% perfect boolits. No mess, no fuss. Bare hands and a "T" shirt. Mold is clean and not a single spatter.
It is hard to understand what some fellas do! :holysheep

jameslovesjammie
09-10-2010, 04:31 PM
I don't have an "Ove Glove" but I have the standard silicone gloves they sell at Target. They don't do anything. If I use them to hold a pot while browning hamburger, my hand gets too hot inside and I have to either switch gloves (I was dumb enough to buy two) or grab a real oven mit. They would work for about 30 seconds opening a single cavity mould.

Bret4207
09-10-2010, 06:33 PM
Well for once 44 man and I agree on something. I have worn gloves but the dexterity is just gone with them on. I don;t wear gloves welding either unless it's a real long run or an angle that might have splatter running down on me. Even then, simple cotton masons gloves work fine. I have worn gloves when doing a lot of cutting too, that can get real hot. But those little spatters and sizzlers are just part of the game. I really can't imagine trying to cast while wearing welders gloves.

Houndog
09-10-2010, 06:41 PM
To each his own, but I use welding gloves, safety glasses with side shields and a welder's jacket. (the thin green ones from a real welding supply) I've been lucky (no visits from the tensel fairy or major spills in over 40 years) but why tempt fate?

Springfield
09-10-2010, 06:44 PM
I always wear the Ove' gloves while casting. I guess I am just messy but I do get splatters once in a while. But then I do more of a volume than some guys. If I was just doing a piddlin' little pile I suppose it wouldn't matter so much, but I tend to do a couple thousand at a time.

Old Caster
09-10-2010, 07:45 PM
I have to agree with Bret 4207 and 44 Man. If you feel like you are going to have a disaster eventually, you need to change your procedure. I have been casting since 1958 and haven't had any problem but I will have to admit I don't make anywhere near the production based on time others on here have claimed. Don't be in a hurry. In the summer it is tee shirt and shorts and I would prefer to dump an ounce of lead on my bare leg as to have it stuck on some jeans where you can't get it away from your skin.

Mk42gunner
09-10-2010, 09:06 PM
I started casting with a Coleman stove and cast iron pot, with an improvised dipper; there I needed gloves. Since starting to use an electric casting pot, I don't really need them; except I started cutting the sprue by hand. I have tried welders gloves (guantlets actually) and they were too stiff, loss of dexterity, etc. I settled on using leather work gloves, the cheapest ones at the local farm store. I can get them off in a hurry if I need to, but they aren't so loose as to be a problem.

I wear the same gloves when arc welding, I have never seen a pair of welding gloves that were thin enough to have a sense of touch.

I do however wear a face shield, I tend to fog safety glasses up too much.

Robert

Ohio Rusty
09-10-2010, 10:17 PM
I have quite a few pairs of heavy cotton gloves that are designed for high heat. One time early this year one of the legs on my bench gave way while I was melting lead in teh Lee pot. The pot started sliding toward the edge and I grabbed the pot and stopped it from falling off the table, The heavy cotton glove held back the heat. My concern with the silicone glove is molten lead might melt thru the silicone. I can't say for sure if that would happen, but it would be a good test.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Bret4207
09-11-2010, 07:30 AM
I don't wish to give the impression I'm down on safety equipment, I just really don't see how you can cast easily with heavy gloves on your hands. By all means, if you can do it, more power to you.

XWrench3
09-11-2010, 08:11 AM
i just use an old pair of motorcycle gloves from my dirt biking days. straight up leather, nothing to fancy. but they work. i have needed them a few times both casting and smelting. usually when i flux with parafin. it stll suprises me when it ignites. it shouldnt, i know it is going to, but the moment always gets me off guard.

44man
09-11-2010, 08:17 AM
Well for once 44 man and I agree on something. I have worn gloves but the dexterity is just gone with them on. I don;t wear gloves welding either unless it's a real long run or an angle that might have splatter running down on me. Even then, simple cotton masons gloves work fine. I have worn gloves when doing a lot of cutting too, that can get real hot. But those little spatters and sizzlers are just part of the game. I really can't imagine trying to cast while wearing welders gloves.
Now Bret, we agree on a whole lot of things! :Fire:

44man
09-11-2010, 08:20 AM
I started casting with a Coleman stove and cast iron pot, with an improvised dipper; there I needed gloves. Since starting to use an electric casting pot, I don't really need them; except I started cutting the sprue by hand. I have tried welders gloves (guantlets actually) and they were too stiff, loss of dexterity, etc. I settled on using leather work gloves, the cheapest ones at the local farm store. I can get them off in a hurry if I need to, but they aren't so loose as to be a problem.

I wear the same gloves when arc welding, I have never seen a pair of welding gloves that were thin enough to have a sense of touch.

I do however wear a face shield, I tend to fog safety glasses up too much.

Robert
I must breathe through my ears. I am fine on the range but as soon as I put my muffs on, my glasses fog up! :veryconfu:veryconfu

casterofboolits
09-11-2010, 08:32 AM
I started casting and selling boolits in "85" and have cast several million boolits and smelted quite a few tons of various type of lead.

For casting I use leather work gloves with a long cuff and welding gloves for smelting. I probably cast more in a week than most people cast in a year. Therefore more chances of an accident! Gloves, glasses and a hat have saved me several times. All cotton clothing and leather shoes is a must for me. A shop apron is also a nice addition to your casting outfit.

I used to fly a lot to Japan and England as an International Project Manager for a stamping tool company and I used the same precautions as artificial fibers kill a lot of people in aircraft fires.

Safty First is a good moto for boolit casters.

44man
09-11-2010, 08:35 AM
This I agree with, cotton and leather only!

Elkins45
09-11-2010, 08:45 AM
I wear a pair of cotton work gloves. I mainly wear them to protect myself from the occasional act of dumbness, like picking up a mold that's still hot. It's also handy to be able to pick up a bullet that's rolled off the cloth or to move a pile of hot ones into a can for storage. It's hard to do that barehanded!