PDA

View Full Version : best semi auto 22?

XWrench3
09-09-2010, 08:29 PM
i think i am going to be in the market for a new 22 autoloader:Fire::Fire::Fire: soon. i say that because my really old one has been repaired and repaired, and i am pretty sure she is actually worn out. i have had it to a gunsmith a couple of times, and now i am trying to fix it myself with the help of the internet. anyway, if i am unsucessful, it will be time to get another one. i obviously look at the top two, the ruger 10 22 and the marlin 60. i have been to the marlin board, and i have seen the "trigger fix" which seems really complicated. if i am not mistaken, i have also seen something about the barrel being glued on??? that doesnt sit well with me. the 10-22 i shot one a long time ago, and its trigger was horrendous. it felt like it was full of carbide chips, and long enough to take a cat nap before it went off. i also have to wonder about a gun that every single part of it is avalable in an aftermarket version. if there are that many things wrong with it, do i really want one? my brother has a winchester, and it is terrible to take down and clean. so i am really not sure what is left. all i want is a gun that will shoot really well, has a good trigger (i am spoiled, every long gun i own has less than a 3 pound crisp trigger), and is easy to take down and clean. it also has to be a tube magazine, or at least a flush sitting magazine. i have a marlin 22 magnum (bolt action), and with the 7 round magazine in, it digs into my back with its sharp edges, not very comfortable. i ended up with a 4 shot, which means lots of reloads. not very usefull in an autoloader! and it has to be less than $250.00 (preferably less). anybody with a remington out there? i guess i am going to have to really start checking the websites, and go to dealers and check some out. but i also want to here owners, and what they have to say about thier pet plinker.

kyle623
09-09-2010, 09:28 PM
the 10/22 is kind of like a builders gun, it works good stock, but you can do lots of things to it. the trigger job is easy to do or you can buy aftermarket parts or a complete trigger group. mine is pretty much stock other than i did a trigger job on it and scoped it. the stock mags are 10 round and fit flush, if you can find an older used one its best as the new one have a plastic trigger housing. its not bad but the metal one is better. check out rimfirecentral.com you will find just about any 22 you might be interested in and tips and fixes for them.

Mk42gunner
09-10-2010, 10:12 PM
I have owned both the Marlin Model 60 and the Ruger 10-22. I still have the Marlin.

I think every Marlin I have shot was more accurate than a factory 10-22.

If you drop the magazine in the dirt, most 10-22's will choke the next time you try to use that magazine. The trigger pull on the Marlin isn't going to be your desried crisp three pounds, but they are usable.

My advice is go to a good gun shop and handle a few different rifles; you will find what you want.

Robert

scb
09-11-2010, 10:07 AM
I can recommend the Remington 552. It has the feel of an "adult" rifle. The trigger can be worked on some, and it will digest all 22 rf (not magnum) ammo. The accuracy of mine is comparable to many bolt actions.

Doc Highwall
09-11-2010, 11:10 AM
I lean towards the 10-22 especially if you get some thing made by KIDD like the barrel or his trigger group and he even makes his own receiver. I have a Olympic Arms X-Ring with a stainless steel receiver.

geargnasher
09-11-2010, 04:54 PM
+1 on the 10-22. It is THE .22 automatic in my opinion. The analogy, if you are a gearhead, is to a small-block Chevy engine. You can go from a two-barrel, 283 to a twin-turbocharged LT1 with 23* aluminum heads, 25 PPH injectors etc. etc. Both will run for years with little trouble, and both can be built and tuned with aftermarket parts to any performance level you desire up to the limit if the .22 rimfire itself or the deck strength of the cylinder block to retain the head bolts/studs.

Gear

uncle joe
09-11-2010, 05:04 PM
I have to vote for the 10-22, my kid took mine the other day and shot a target at 200 yards with it STOCK.