PDA

View Full Version : Lee 459-405 HB mold sure is "unusual"

ghh3rd
09-08-2010, 09:10 PM
I just received and inspected my Lee 459-405 HB mold for my 45-70 rifle, and is unlike any mold I've used so far.

The nut that holds the two sides together is very loose, and allows the two halves to wiggle up and down about 1/2", and allows the plate with hollow base pin to wiggle.

The hollow base pin usually doesn't go in straight, and must be grabbed and wiggled into place as the mold is closed and aligned manually - no alignment pins on this mold.

This is sure different from any other mold I've had so far. I'll probably give it a whirl tomorrow evening, I hopes that my rifle will arrive on Friday, although it will probably be Monday since they shipped it a day late.

I can tell for sure that this single cavity mold will be slow going, at least until I get used to it, and that I'll be doing a lot of manipulating for each boolit.

Anyone with experience with this mold? Sure would like any tips you may have.

Thanks - Randy

EDIT: can't wait for my 460-425RFGC Group Buy mold to arrive :-)

BSkerj
09-08-2010, 09:52 PM
I used the 405 HB but could not get could accuracy out of it. I went up and down the loading charts and some of the targets looked like I was using 00 buck at 100yds. I could not get a decent group going. I am using a micro groove 1895. My Lyman 457124 shoots great out of it and also I just ordered a Lyman 457193 that shoots real well out of it. (Slingshot, from this forum made some up for me to try.) I am not knocking the HB, because alot of guys speak highly of it...for me it just did not work coming out of my rifle. I did not have any issues as far as casting with it....dropped by itself @ .459 and closed up nice and tight while pouring. I am also waiting for Miha to start production on a groupbuy 385 grn HP. You may want to look at that one also..It is the 459122 Cramer HP.

mooman76
09-08-2010, 10:12 PM
I have the mould you are talking about and I had no problems casting with it. It needs to be a little loose to give it enough free play lo line up. Yours sounds like it may be a little too loose. Try it and see. You may need to tighten up the bolt abit.

454PB
09-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Mine works well. It does sound like you need to tighten the pivot bolt.