PDA

View Full Version : Problem w/ RCBS Lube-a-matic

AlaskaMike
09-09-2006, 07:06 PM
After casting up several hundred 45-270-SAA bullets, I sized them all to .452 with my Lube-a-matic without any problem at all. Now, after casting up a bunch of 38-150-SWC, I'm trying to lube and size them to .358 and having nothing but problems.

I'm using an RCBS .358 sizer die and the correct top punch, but lube seems to go everywhere *but* the lube groove. Mainly it seems to flow under the bullet base. The reason I'm so confused is that the length of the .38 bullets from base to crimp groove, and the width and location of the lube grooves is almost identical between my 45-270-SAA and 38-150-SWC bullets. This would seem to indicate that I shouldn't need to adjust the ejector rod at all when I switch between the two.

Anyone have any helpful tips that might explain what's going on, or what I might try to fix it?

Thanks,
Mike

44woody
09-09-2006, 07:41 PM
when I had mine it would drive me nuts then after I got rid of it I found out that I was putting to much pressure on the lube and was to hot cut your heat down and back off on the pressure also you might have to adjust it put one of your 45's and 38's side by side that will tell you which way you will have to adjust it hope this helps :castmine: 44Woody

cast-n-blast
09-09-2006, 08:57 PM
Mike, adjust the black screw that sets the depth of the bullet being sized lower. The groove in the bullet will then pick up the lube

MGySgt
09-09-2006, 09:11 PM
Mike - Even thoogh the bullets have the lube groove in the same location, the die probably don't have the holes in the same location.

Pull the die out and put a bullet up against the die and see how deep you need to go, Then set your dept accordanly.

Drew

GP100man
09-10-2006, 12:19 AM
alaskamike iuse a lyman 450 & some times i think i only move the screw a 1/4 turn & that will make the difference of lube going in groove or on the base. rite off it sound like your too deep in the die .ive started trying to measure adjustmets so to repeat set up . ive cast many different types in 38 &44 &have settled down to 2 in38 &2 in 44. but ilike a challenge

Marshal Kane
09-12-2006, 12:12 PM
Mike - Even thoogh the bullets have the lube groove in the same location, the die probably don't have the holes in the same location.

Pull the die out and put a bullet up against the die and see how deep you need to go, Then set your dept accordanly.

Drew
Mike,
You should check out where the lube holes are in your die. Also, since the height of your two bullets are different, make sure the lube holes in the die are lining up with the bullets' lube groove. Sounds like your Lube-a-matic is OK, just needs to be adjusted. Best wishes.

AlaskaMike
09-12-2006, 03:42 PM
Those are great suggestions about checking the die--I'd never have thought about that. I'll take a look at that tonight and see if I can figure out which way to adjust it. and how much so it puts lube in the groove. I've spent hours fighting it by adjusting blindly in both directions with no success.

Thanks,
Mike

mag_01
09-12-2006, 04:47 PM
Only thing I can add---If lowering your boolit in lubersizer dose not work ---drop die in boiling hot water to clean all the wax out---dry thoroughly and then try again

GP100man
09-12-2006, 06:12 PM
alaska mike how many holes are stacked in a line , may have to plug some.my adjusting jam nut is on top of frame instead the bottom when 358 ing $ almost flush with bottom.PS is your 450 grey or orange ? same casting but differnt length adjusting bolt so says lyman when i converted mine from bycycle handle.