PDA

View Full Version : New Savage 23C - Trigger Improvement?

square butte
09-08-2010, 08:27 AM
Well, I was fianally able to talk a friend out of his Savage 32-20 that just sat in the safe unused. It only took me 5 years or so of slow and steady psychic annoyance. Just picked it up yesterday. The bore looks NEW. The trigger leaves a little to be desired. Has anyone here worked on a trigger for these. Mine has a bit of take up before it breaks - enough to be irritating. Tips would be appreciated. Thought I would ask before I got into it. This one also has a Redfield receiver sight on the left side of the receiver that hangs out over the top of the receiver enough to prevent removal of the bolt. Anyone know what rear iron sight would be correct for this gun - or better yet have one they might be willing to sell? Thanks for any assistance

BarryinIN
09-08-2010, 07:18 PM
I have no idea about the trigger. I just wanted to let you know how jealous I was over your 23C.

Bret4207
09-09-2010, 06:58 AM
It's a very simple trigger that responds well to old fashioned stoning and squaring. Clean it up good at first and add some quality lube. If you want to go further I would start with simply squaring things up. My 3, whoops 4, 23's all have good triggers in the 3-4 lbs range. I added a trigger shoe to my 23C and that makes it a little better yet.

square butte
09-09-2010, 07:26 AM
Thanks Bret, That's exactly what i was looking for. Can you give me some description or idea of what you have for open rear sights on yours. I'm gonna try and find something that might have been original to the gun. Don't like the fact that my receiver sight blocks removal of the bolt - besides my 59 year old eyes seem to work better with opens further down the barrel. Barry, I undersand the jelousy thing. That, plus several years of looking at ones that belonged to other guys , got me this one with some persistance.

jmh54738
09-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Barry and Butte,
I just want to make you drool, I think that I have the whole set of model 23s, 22 LR, 25-20, 32-20 and 22 hornet. The hornet and the 32-20 came with receiver sights that don't interfere with bolt removal. Such plesant guns to shoot. If getting on the train means shooting big, short, and fat cartridges in plastic stocked rifles, I will be happy to stay at the station with my old rifles.
John

Bret4207
09-10-2010, 07:25 AM
My 23's, I lack only the Hornet, all wear scopes. The 22 has ans ancient externally adjustable Wollensak (fore runner to Redfield IIRC), the 32-20 wears an equally old Weaver K-4 with the original "no dust caps" adjustment knobs, and the 25-20's wear 4x scopes of more modern vintage. The internally adjustable scopes all sit in Weaver bases.

Bent Ramrod
09-10-2010, 10:04 PM
The standard 23 rear sight was the usual dovetailed notch sight on the long spring with the step elevator that is normal issue on .22 and other light rifles. Any Marble's or Lyman sight of the type that fits your dovetail ought to be equivalent. The front sight was a blade with a long bead on top; again, Marble or Lyman ought to be able to supply a replacement.

The original two holes at the top of the receiver are for Savage's NRA rear peep sight, which was tall and blocky like a Parker Hale and adjustable for windage and elevation. The front sight for this arrangement was was a sort of Patridge type sight with the rear face slanting inward to reduce glare. You might check with the people who sell old gun sights and see if one of those rear sights are available. They're kind of bulky but they work OK with any front sight and don't interfere with the bolt removal.

I made a base for a narrow dovetail scope mount and put it on my 23C with two screws threaded for those holes. One of those skinny old Weavers with the screwdriver adjustments is on it and looks really "period." The two screws that hold the scope mount on were made of drill rod and so far have held up well.

square butte
09-11-2010, 12:54 PM
Thanks Bret and Bent Ramrod. I'll just look for a marbles or Lyman rear of the period. In the meantime, i'll keep my eyes peeled for a scope mount that will work with the rear dove tail as the forward mount anchor - just in case the eyes stop working with open sights over time. I have a feeling i'll never realize full accuracy potential unless I put a scope on it. I have a nice old Weaver KV that might be just the ticket on this gun. Thanks again