PDA

View Full Version : 77gr RNL in 32 S&W Long

Tar Heel
09-07-2010, 07:46 PM
I have decided to load up some 77gr RNL cast bullets for a 32 S&W Long that I have had for about 20 years. Having cast and loaded for multiple calibers before, this is my first foray with tiny 32's. I was making up my bench standard for the little 32 when I realized that there was no crimp groove on the 77gr bullets unlike the larger caliber bullets I cast and load.

Can anyone provide comment regarding the best crimp (roll-vs-taper) to use on the 77gr RNL and more importantly - where to put it?

My apologies if this post is misplaced, this is my first foray into threads and posts.

Guesser
09-07-2010, 08:00 PM
I've loaded a 77 gr. cast bullet in 32 S&W and 32 S&W Long. I get my seating depth/OAL set and lightly roll crimp into where ever the depth/AOL dictates. The 32 cartridges are low pressure and don't require much crimp. You could use a 32 Auto taper crimp and achieve the same thing. The little 32's are great fun, cheap and easy and very accurate in my old Colts and S&W revolvers.
What powder are you going to use. I use AA#2 and Bullseye for all mine.

Tar Heel
09-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Since I had some very old 231 around, I used the suggested starting load in the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook of 2.0 grains. I was seating the bullets and realized there was no crimp groove! What a dope. Anyway, I ordered a crimp die today since I was using 32 H&R Mag dies to get things rolling. I though of taper crimping the bullet since bullet jump with this load in a revolver should be naught but having loaded for my other revolvers which can generate substantial recoil, I am used to roll crimping for my revolvers.
I though about a light roll crimp in the driving band but that would set the seat depth. The Lyman guide suggests 1.115 OAL but I haven't determined where that would place the crimp. Their schematic suggests the crimp is in the forward lube groove or at least at the very back of the driving band. Did you use the 1.115 OAL listed there or something else?
Thanks for the reply....

beagle
09-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Either a light roll or taper crimp will work in this case. Just crimp into the side of the bullet where the seating depth is called out with a light crimp with either. I do this in .45s all the time./beagle

Tar Heel
09-07-2010, 08:51 PM
Off topic but what the heck is a boolit mold, boolit master, lady etc.

Trey45
09-07-2010, 08:53 PM
"Ranks" awarded by the number of posts.

Guesser
09-07-2010, 08:55 PM
I never worry much about OAL length on revolver rounds. I want the bullet securely seated with all lube covered and that was all that mattered. It is such a low pressure round and all my guns are solid frame, swing out cylinder models and the oldest is a Colt from 1923, so it will handle standard loads easily.

Tar Heel
09-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Yea..I'm leaning to a tight taper crimp halfway down the driving band. This gun is too fun to shoot so I just had to start loading for it. I'll try the cast 85gr bullets next. I cast some of those about 20 years ago for the 32 H&R Mag. Haven't used that mold since.