PDA

View Full Version : How fast?

Freightman
09-07-2010, 02:29 PM
You mathematicians tell me how fast a dove can fly when they have a 50mph tail wind? I went dove hunting yesterday (for the first time in 30 yrs) and I haven't even got a SG had to borrow my granddaughters 20 gauge, the wind was blowing from the direction that the birds were coming from at 50+mph. It only took me 18 rounds to get my first and only bird, the others my son and a young man that is close to a son and his 17 year old son didn't do a whole lot better so don't feel to bad.
I would have liked to had a speed o meter on the birds they looked like high speed jets as they went over.

Harter66
09-07-2010, 02:36 PM
As I recall the dove is not 1 of the real hot rods usually about 35mph paniced and 25 or so going places.

Id guess you had 60-65 mph crossers.

qajaq59
09-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Not nearly as fast as a Merganzer duck. I know because when I went from shooting those ducks to shooting doves my lead was way, way too long. LOL The doves do zig zag more though.

GrizzLeeBear
09-07-2010, 03:38 PM
"Would that be an African swallow or a European swallow?"

-King Arthur
Monte Python's The Holy Grail

09-07-2010, 03:46 PM
Hmmm, well mourning doves aren't as fast as a canvasbacks but they're no slouch! They can lolly gag around when wanting to feed or get water, etc. BUT, if pressed to get somewhere or if chased by a Cooper's hawk, they could be called very fast with erratic flight capability. I think they have been clocked approaching 55 mph.

KYCaster
09-07-2010, 05:29 PM
WARP Factor six, Scotty.

chris in va
09-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Are doves edible?

randyrat
09-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Doves and pigeons are edible. I'd have to be hungry though to eat a pigeon.
Pigeons fly about 150 miles / hr...Well, that's when i have a shot gun in my hand.

buck1
09-07-2010, 07:05 PM
OK I got it figured out!

a dove can fly( 50MPH + 50MPH tail wind )Devided by a 20 ga scatter gun X3 hunters = burger and frys for dinner! LOL

mpmarty
09-07-2010, 07:07 PM
I prefer pheasant. Better eating and easier shooting if you use a 30" full choke w/ number sixes over a large load of Herco. I wait until they start to turn out about three miles away and catch them as they cross. They seem to like to go left which gives me a nice right to left crossing shot. Only problem is hiking to the area where they crash and finding them. My dog doesn't like birds and once they're down he prefers to nap and watch me beat the bushes.
:bigsmyl2:

beagle
09-07-2010, 08:30 PM
Interesting thread. I also went dove hunting Saturday after a dry spell since 1976. Kinda interesting trying to find my vest, the plug for my M870 and the search for shells was a real treasure hunt. I turned up some paper Super-X 5s and 6s from pheasant days in 76, a box of Walmart Dove loads and a box of 7 1/2 reloads plus a handful in dad's old hunting coat. I had 64 shells and headed for Wally World and bought a hundred rounds so I wouldn't get caught short.

What's the deal on this Migratory Bird Permit? Must be an Obama thing to chisel out more money.

Bottom line is that we had a good shoot, plenty of birds and good companions. When my 64 rounds were gone, 10 doves were on the ground and one was in the bush but I never found it.

Think I went about six shots before I connected and several of those were high base 6s. I saved the Wally World loads for next time.

Didn't think it was bad for 68 year old eyes and reflexes and I really enjoyed it.

Came home and broke out the MEC 650 and loaded three more boxes and ran out of powder. Ordered wads and a Universal Charge Bar from Midsouth so I'll be ready this week.

Guess I better borrow my partner's shot casting rig this winter and get busy./beagle

GabbyM
09-08-2010, 01:08 AM
Shooting doves with a little 20 gauge would be tough. Never tried it but had friends try it and give up.
I used to take 75 12 ga shells out and usually fell short of the 9 bird limit. Used a mod choke 12 gauge but preferred a full choke 12 with #6 shot. To many cripples with 7 ½ shot. A crossing shot at 25 to 40 yards. You can't tell the difference usually . Takes between four to ten feet lead. Get it in your head then string the shot out along the flight path with your three shots. Doing the math in your head as the bird gets closer or farther away between shots. Nothing to it. :)

I did get to where I could take them with one shot coming or going. Should try it again as like you it's been thirty years.

Short of it is a 20 bore does not get it done. Don't care if it caries the same 1 1/8 oz of shot it just does not put them out there. Do not know the science behind it but it's the way it is. Had a friend buy a brand new 16 gauge thinking he could shoot doubles trap with it. Just does not work.

Bret4207
09-08-2010, 07:17 AM
Try Teal coming out of the sun into the pothole. About like trying to hit a particular raindrop in a hurricane.

qajaq59
09-08-2010, 08:08 AM
Doves are edible but squib is more tender as they never get the chance to fly.

onesonek
09-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Are doves edible?

Yes, but to me they have a gamey, mineraly, and livery, flavor. Not all that bad, have eatin worse. And as mentioned, they are tough chewy lil things.
Abit off topic, but a couple of my favorite recipes,,,
boned breast halves cut in half again cross-grain,(usually 3- 4 breast per person)
6-8 breast
1 can of Cream of Mushroom soup
1 can of water
1 packet of Liptons Onion soup mix
ground sage and course black pepper to taste
Add more to cover for more people and breast
crock pot on low for 8 hrs +
Can thicken the stock more if desired
Serve on mashed potatoes or baking powder biscuts
More time don't seem to make them any more tender, But I do on occassion (mostly with the next recipe), take the breast peices and wackem with a tenderizing hammer once on each side,,,it helps some.

Take the tenderized peices in a bowl add 1-1/2 cups of water (again for 3-4 breast)
1 tbsp Curry powder
1/4 to 1/3 cup chopped onion
1/4 tsp "Real Lemon"
1/4 tsp coarse black pepper (if you like heat, sub cracked cayenne to taste)
salt to taste
marinate this for aleast 24hrs, I do 48.
Put contents in a skillet and bring to boil
reduce heat (simmer) and tight cover for an 1hr
Then add 1 medium diced or thinly sliced russet potato cook down another 15 min on low heat uncovered (the potato cooks down and thickens the sauce)
serve on white or wild rice, (I prefer wild, but it's spendy)
(Can adjust pepper to your liking)

Dave
P.S. the last recipe came from a Tobagon friend, it is originally used with a 1/4 cup of heavy coconut milk (on chicken) in place of the "real lemon", I decided to try the lemon for a different flavor but more so for the acid to help tenderize certain meats such as the tougher game birds. The coconut is excellent as well however!

Fly-guy
09-08-2010, 10:20 AM
[QUOTE=onesonek;993014]Yes, but to me they have a gamey, mineraly, and livery, flavor. Not all that bad, have eatin worse. And as mentioned, they are tough chewy lil things.

It's been a long time since I've hunted those little fur ball but as I recall, they do taste like liver - makes me wanna blow chunks just thinking about eating liver, feathers and 7 1/2 shot.

dfreeman
09-08-2010, 12:13 PM
My favorite game bird! Actually the no.1 game bird in the US. I have taken many with a .410 and many more than that with a .20 ga. I have been driving down the highway at 55 mph and watched a dove stay right with me for several hundre yards. I think that they are one of the best tasting birds there is. Wrap the breast in a strip of bacon and place on the grill or in the oven. When the bacon is done, the breast is done. $breasts and a potato and a salad makes a great meal. I live in Michigan and it is one of the few states that don't allow dove hunting. Idiotic!

qajaq59
09-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Try Teal coming out of the sun into the pothole. About like trying to hit a particular raindrop in a hurricane. Or buffleheads. They fly like bats. LOL

Freightman
09-08-2010, 01:59 PM
[QUOTE=GabbyM;992832]Shooting doves with a little 20 gauge would be tough. Never tried it but had friends try it and give up.
Agreed! I was short on gun and with a 30+ year gap in my SG shooting I thought one for 18 wasn't that bad. Next time will have a 12 and some practice. What we went down for was to set up the feeders. I am fortunate in I have access to 1200+ acres that basically no one ha shunted on in 40 years. As we were coming out Monday night we saw herds of deer standing on the side of the road. We had to be very careful as my cousin has totaled two cars on deer.
PS and my cousin said I have to be with anyone who is hunting. So the men I had with me have to take me.

.30/30 Guy
09-08-2010, 02:15 PM
My problem with doves is that they would fly before I could get a shot off.

Bret4207
09-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Youse guys talking about the taste of doves, have you ever et a woodcock? I hunted them for years before I started hitting them. Now I let them fly. They taste like worms. And as an early spring trout fisherman, yes, I do know what worms taste like.

uncle joe
09-08-2010, 05:37 PM
dang I thought i was the only one that hadn't been dove hunting in 20 years. Glad to know I have company here. IIRC doves fly about 50 MPH + 50 MPH wind, + add 30 mph for each missed shot taken at said bird. This works until they reach terminal velocity which is just under c.