PDA

View Full Version : Traditions Firearm:

zorro 5858
09-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Was thinking of buying a Tradition trapper pistol in 50 cal. for deer hunting. Has anyone use this pistol for hunting or target shooting. zorro.

R.M.
09-08-2010, 12:35 PM
I have one. Never hunted with it, but it shoots great on paper. I've only shot light loads out of it, so can't give you any recommendations.

bgokk
09-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Was thinking of buying a Tradition trapper pistol in 50 cal. for deer hunting. Has anyone use this pistol for hunting or target shooting. zorro.

I have the above in .54 cal. and this past season with 90 gr. ffg Goex under a patched .530 RB shot through both shoulders of a 150# buck. Shattered the large bone in the off shoulder and exited. I was surprised at the total penetration with only 9" of barrel. Shot was about 25 yards from a ladder stand.

I know this does not address the Trapper Pistol nor .50 cal., however I have experience with several of Traditions rifles and this inline pistol and inspite of their low price all have been good shooters.

BG

northmn
09-17-2010, 11:51 AM
A pistol is limited by your field shooting ability and not power if in a large bore. You should be able to get over 1000 fps with it and keep the shots close. As long as you hit through the lungs it will work. Also, deer do vary. Bgokk's 150 pound buck is not doubt a very good sized deer where he lives in AR. May be a relative monster. In the midwest it's not so large. I am not trying to put down his achievement so much as to state that there is a difference. A nice buck in Northern MN witll field dress at over 180 lbs and in the farm belts they get bigger. Still I would not hesitate to use a 50 cal pistol, up close on a larger deer. Been thinking about building one for my self. 90 gns of powder in a 54 would be a handful. I suspect in a 50 60 grains in a pistol would also be pretty stiff. You do get a certain amount of diminishing returns in a pistol.

Northmn