PDA

View Full Version : Check Weights?

dangerranger
09-06-2010, 09:25 PM
I got a new electronic scale, and first off it says " calibrate with a 500gr std check weight". Now where would I get one of those? it seems to me that if it has to be recalibrated after its moved they would send one with it!. on a good note the barnes bullits that are suposed to weigh 35gr weigh 35gr, and the hornaday that are suposed to weigh 325gr do also. any Idea where I can get a check weight? DR

Rico1950
09-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Lyman and RCBS among others sell a set.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-06-2010, 09:46 PM
I have two electronics scales. they both came with a 50 gram calibration weight. 50 grams equals 771.5 grains. Are you sure you need a 500 gr ( grain or gram ?) calibration weight ?
does you scale read in different units, my cabels electronic scale reads in four or five different units, including both grams and grains.

If you are interested in a 50 Gram calibration weight, I have one for sale CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP !
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/100_1346.jpg

dangerranger
09-06-2010, 10:12 PM
OK, went back and reread it, it should be 500g. max on the scale is 1000g. thats going to be a big weight! DR

imashooter2
09-06-2010, 10:27 PM
An electronic scale that doesn't come with a calibration weight? Don't believe I've ever seen one of those. What brand and model?

Leadsmith
09-07-2010, 09:03 AM
Cheap check weights to tell if you are even close:

In grains, new in good shape, within 0.1 grain
Penny 39
Nickel 77 (5 grams)
Dime 35
Quarter 88

Bob

deltaenterprizes
09-07-2010, 09:21 AM
Get 5 Sierra 100 grain bullets, the weight is so accurate that you should be in the ball park.

HammerMTB
09-07-2010, 09:40 AM
It looks real official like and all to have a check weight, but I use something just as accurate, and there's no fussing involved.
Got a balance beam scale? Weigh something about the right weight. A .45 cal rifle boolit, a .50 cal or bigger muzzleloader boolit, or 2-3 smaller boolits together, on the balance beam. Now transfer them to the electronic scale. Do they match? Or really close? There you go.
Did you ever calibrate your balance beam? Prolly not, except to zero it when you set it up....
I cross check my electronic often, and it is a waste of my time. It doesn't vary from my RCBS 1010 - not even a tenth of a grain.

cajun shooter
09-07-2010, 10:03 AM
I have purchased three electronic scales of the same brand. They are Digi-Weigh scales. They all came with a check weight that I can't find. They cost about $30 ea and are the most accurate scales I have found. I have checked them against my 1010 many times using the method posted above. If you check your scale in this manner a few times you will see that a check weight is not needed as you can just use bullets. You will also not worry about the readings.

Rocky Raab
09-07-2010, 02:46 PM
Agree. For many, many years I simply used a 52-gr match bullet picked at random from a box. I kept that bullet as my "official check weight" for all the time I used a balance beam scale. Both of my digitals (a PACT/RCBS and now a Hornady) came with check weights.

My digitals have a step-by-step procedure to calibrate the scale, using the provided check weights. I'm sure that's better, but I also believe I'd be as well served to simply weigh that match bullet after the scale warms up and if the displayed weight is close, I'm good to go.

dangerranger
09-07-2010, 05:15 PM
I called the company today and they are sending one. guy on the phone said "I dought you will ever need it but its in the mail". he says the only way Id need it is if it looses its program or if I changed the program. Thanks all. DR

mooman76
09-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Sounds like he still needs the check weight to recalibrate if ever needed. It's fine if you check and your scale is on, that's how I check mine. I have a couple pieces of brass that I weighed on a balance beam but when it is off a slight bit I have to use my calibration weights to recalibrate back to where it should be.