PDA

View Full Version : NOE 500294 trouble

500cadillac
09-06-2010, 08:22 PM
I'm getting funny looking boolits from this mold. Any idea why? Is the casting flash normal?

The boolits don't come off the hp pins easily. The mold is hard to close, very tight.

Bob J
09-07-2010, 07:05 AM
They look pretty good to me..... If this is Miha's mold then we have cast maybe 500 or so of these without a problem using the large HP pin.... We are casting using range lead and run the mold very hot... Also, the pins need to be very hot to get a good drop....

Another potential problem with getting a good drop could be the cleanliness of the mold.... We soak ours in carb cleaner overnight and then wipe all cavities/pins with an alcohol wipe....

Not sure what else I can offer without knowing more details.....

I'm getting funny looking boolits from this mold. Any idea why? Is the casting flash normal?

The boolits don't come off the hp pins easily. The mold is hard to close, very tight.

Blammer
09-07-2010, 08:35 AM
deburr the inside of the mold block alignment pins, could be a small ridge there prevening you from closing. On occasion I've had to take some emery cloth and polish the inside, it helped tremendously.

Also. I've "tapped" the pin that sticks a bit deeper into the mould. (this is the alignment block pins, not the Hollow point pins.) Sometimes setting both sides just a little deeper helped with the opening and closing.

Also get the mould very hot and get the alloy hot when casting and they'll fall off the pins easier, sometimes a light tap gets them to fall off.

the flashing is from not having the mould closed all the way, check to make sure there is not a piece of debris in the way preventing it from closing.

500cadillac
09-08-2010, 01:03 AM
Thanks Blammer.

I polished the alignment pin holes. That fixed the closing problem.