PDA

View Full Version : I did the Remington trigger spring replacement

oldracer
09-06-2010, 03:07 PM
A few weeks ago I bought a Remington Model 1 that had been made into a long range target rifle from an old fellow named Charlie Fudge who used to shoot a lot of matches with the South Bay Rod and Gun Club here in southern CA. It has a Badger barrel and decent sights and was completely hand made by him, even the stock and fore end. He actually liked the very hard trigger pull it had and he said he had gotten used to the stock spring feel over the years. To me it was waaaaaaay too hard, no creep or anything but I have gotten used to modern pulls. So I bought a piece of .050 piano wire and made a replacement as I noted that quite a lot of people do here. I also cleaned the internals as the lube had dried and gotten pretty goopy from the years of sitting. After reassembly, the trigger feels GREAT and has about 40% or so of the original pull, still breaks clean and such. As soon as my hand heals from the surgery I had last week on my thumb I will give it a try and I think I'll swap springs at the range so I can see if the lighter pull makes any difference or now? But at any rate, the wire replacement does sure lighten it up a lot!

missionary5155
09-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Howdy Oldracer
I have a couple old rollers #1. Those triggers were made for young solders scared to death in action so they would not inadvertantly let a round off accidently.
Anyway IF you also have a LONG trigger pull that is easily cured by adding a piece of main spring from a pocket watch expoxied onto the flat where the sear sits so it will not engage so deeply.

oldracer
09-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the tip on the sear. It seems a bit long and in doing some dry fire I can actually feel a tiny bit of trigger movement which I guess would be creep before it breaks. Before the spring replacement it was so hard that when I overcame the spring it all happened at once. I hope to give it a try this weekend if the doc takes the bandages off my hand......