PDA

View Full Version : Springfield front sight protector??

MikeSSS
09-08-2006, 05:36 PM
Anybody know why some 1903's have a front sight protector and some don't?

Or when they were used and not used.

My understanding is there was an Army kind and a Marine kind.

Thanks.

Char-Gar
09-08-2006, 05:41 PM
You first question is pretty simple. Some have them and some do not, because they got lost over the years.

They were used mostly when the rifles were in barracks or for drill. Solders have been known to drop their rifles.

The 1917 Enfield and later rifles came with built in front sight protectors wings that could not be removed.

straightshooter1
09-08-2006, 06:20 PM
There are two types (at least). One must be removed to fire the weapon, though I have seen people at the range shooting with it on. The "Marine" type has a larger aperture almost like a front Tunnel sight (think Lyman 17). Hard, anymore, to get the "Marine" type, I have only found 1 in the last 5 years.

IIRC Brophy's book sets out much more detail about these covers.

Bob

Bob S
09-11-2006, 09:28 PM
The front sight protector was not intended to be left on when firing, but with the short blade of the M1903, it is sometimes possible to get a proper sight picture with the protector in place. With the 03A3, the sight blade is much higher, and seeing the tip of the blade and the target with the standard cover in place is a non-starter. The same "standard" front sight protector was used for both rifles.

The "USMC" cover was intended to remain in place while shooting. It was designed for the higher and wider front sight blade of USMC design; and the protector (or "cover") was made of a heavier gauge metal and had a tunnel of larger diameter commensurate with the height of the special "USMC" front sight. The "USMC" front sight blade and cover were never authorized or issued with the M1903A3 rifles, but they are a popular "conversion" with shooters today. (but not "legal" for "as-issued" vintage rifle matches.)

Resp'y,
Bob S.

MikeSSS
09-14-2006, 03:56 AM
Excellent info.

Thanks.