PDA

View Full Version : Texas Casters... Shooters... Hunters...

Ranch Dog
05-14-2005, 06:13 AM
I notice a number of you are from Texas. What part of the State do you live and hunt?

I live in Cuero and hunt and shoot on my ranch here in DeWitt County. I also hunt antelope and mule deer in Brewster County. Lever guns are my thing!

sundog
05-14-2005, 07:52 AM
Ranch Dog, my daughter lives in Castroville (other side of San Anonio). Always looking for something to do while I'm down there. Maybe a visit and a day of lever guns is in order? Might be down again for Thanksgiving. Never too early to plan an outing. sundog

AKtinman
05-14-2005, 11:59 AM
Hi Ranch Dog. I was born in Cuero, with relatives in Goliad, but grew up in San Antonio. I used to hunt on my cousin's ranch near Charco and in the Hondo area.

I have lived in Sitka, Alaska for the last 20 years (finished up my Coast Guard career here) and will be moving to Wise County next month. It will sure be good to get back to Texas!

onceabull
05-14-2005, 12:25 PM
Ranch dog: So, were you a "fightin Gobbler" ??,or move there later ?? Onceabull

357tex
05-14-2005, 06:44 PM
Ranch dog
live in hopkins co. have hunted all over the state. now just mostly hunt my place and around home.I like my to use my 357s .but did buy a mosin md.38 toplay with.I use 311466 150 gr. and try to get it's best.dont know that I do.so I just sit back and read .try to learn from all the more experience hands here.some folks here sound like they know what they are doing.

Ranch Dog
05-14-2005, 11:27 PM
Sundog... I'm about 2 hours SE of San Antonio. I've got a pretty nice rifle range just out the door, let me know the next time you head South.

AKtinman... It's a small world. I had a ranch near Charco on the West side of the San Antonio River in Karnes County. Great whitetail hunting! Sold it in January. Welcome back to Texas!

Onceabull... No, not native born Gobbler. I was born in Victoria and grew up in Corpus. Work took me to Houston and after a while I started over down here.

Greetings 357tex!

wills
05-29-2005, 02:44 PM
Live outside La Grange shoot (or shot, its been a while at Youpon Creek, this side of Columbus.

http://www.yauponcreek.org/

carpetman
07-24-2005, 12:28 PM
Originally from Wichita Falls. Retired from Air Force at Goodfellow AFB,here in San Angelo and remained here. Hunt in Silver Texas which is about 50 miles away in Coke county.

wills
11-13-2006, 11:03 PM
Who else, joined in the past year?

txbirdman
11-14-2006, 10:31 AM
I'm from Erath County. Have about 200 acres that my sons and I hunt for whitetails. Have a nephew in Las Cruses NM and we occassionally go after elk with him (he has the mules). Also do quite a bit of dove hunting.

ron brooks
11-14-2006, 12:13 PM
Live in Stratford, Texas, about the only town in Sherman County. Up in the verey top of the Panhandle.

Stratford is closer to the State Capitals of New Mexico, Colorado, Oklahoma, and I believe Kansas than it is to Austin.

We aren't at the edge of nowhere, but you can sure see it from here. :)

Ron

GSM
11-14-2006, 12:25 PM
New to casting.
Live in Tarrant County.
Shoot in Tarrant County - bullseye & silly-wets.

boogerred
11-15-2006, 01:24 AM
the 2 dogs may have heard of my little village.i live in pearsall,50 mi SW of san antonio.cows and deer,thats all thats here. carpetman,i was born in wichita falls,raised in clay co. havent been back there twice in 30 yrs tho.

Ranch Dog
11-15-2006, 06:20 AM
the 2 dogs may have heard of my little village.i live in pearsall...

Sure do know that little ville. Great to have you here... another fellow Texan!

Lawyerman
11-15-2006, 10:41 AM
I'm in Amarillo. I know the High Sheriff of Sherman County. We train together a couple times a year. Kind of a short spindly little guy ain't he? Lol.

DLCTEX
11-15-2006, 11:20 PM
I live in Wheeler Co. (East central panhandle). I hunt whitetail, dove turkey, hogs, dogs, quail, varmits, etc. I cast and reload for my 5 sons, 2 daughter-in-laws, grandson, and friends. Dale

onceabull
11-16-2006, 12:04 AM
dale c: Put my wifes mother to rest beside her husband in Wheeler,one frozen Jan. day in the 1970's: Flew into Amarillo,just ahead of the blizzard, following the black wagon East on the interstate next AM, had to dodge more than one loose trailer,detached from a spinning 18 Wl'er.. Stopped once to try to help several w-bound travelers who went off into the snow trying to stay whole. Took one step away from the car and went flat, there was about 8 inches of Ice in the lanes on both sides of the interstate . Made it safe to Wheeler,Cemetary help told us they had to blast to get to standard depth in time with the help at hand...ever since the airlines take us to San Antonio..!!! Onceabull

ron brooks
11-16-2006, 12:03 PM
I'm in Amarillo. I know the High Sheriff of Sherman County. We train together a couple times a year. Kind of a short spindly little guy ain't he? Lol.

Ah, you're talking about Jack Hale (hope I spelled that right. I always think he kind of looks like Brian Dennehy. Yep, he plays Santa at the First Christian Church every year after the Christmas Pagent.

I can't comment on the spindly part, we are both real good on putting weight on and taking it off. :)

He's a real nice guy.

Ron

Char-Gar
11-16-2006, 05:45 PM
Here is a list of Texas towns I have lived in...Brownsville, Alpine, Houston, Brownfield, Pampa, Haskell, Booker, El Paso, Odessa, Harlingen, Corpus Christi (at present).

In New Mexico, I have lived in Farmington, Albuquerque, and Demming.

I have also lived in Kentucky, Arizona and Lousiana here in the US.

Cost Rica and Ecuador south of our Border

Yep... I have traveled around a mite.

I retire in 18 months and my home is in Rancho Viejo, Texas.

Char-Gar
11-16-2006, 05:47 PM
Dale... Louie Mendola still doctering in Wheeler? We used to hunt birds together years ago.

Topper
11-16-2006, 11:18 PM
Williamson county, outside of Austin.
I have a couple of friends that let me hunt on their property sometimes.
Inlaws live in Nocona, still looking for opportunities there.

Ranch Dog
11-17-2006, 09:40 AM
I retire in 18 months and my home is in Rancho Viejo, Texas.

And where might that be?

ron brooks
11-17-2006, 10:19 AM
Williamson county, outside of Austin.
I have a couple of friends that let me hunt on their property sometimes.
Inlaws live in Nocona, still looking for opportunities there.

Topper,

Sure you want to live by the inlaws? :)

Ron

Topper
11-17-2006, 08:32 PM
In laws are great, and Nocona has some really nice folks there.
Deer are bigger there, and lots of hogs and yotes.
Sure woiuld be nice to get away from city life, if you know what I mean. ;)

ron brooks
11-18-2006, 11:25 AM
Yeah, the in-laws are usually better than they are given credit for, still fun to pick on them though. :)

What's a city? :)
Ron

lead slinger
11-19-2006, 02:09 AM
Live in Brownsville

dtalley
11-22-2006, 10:35 AM
Moved From Llano to Bryan/College Station area in 1982. Did a tour with the job starting in 89 in Hearne and then Austin/Round Rock, but made it back to B/CS around 96. The Family Ranch is in Llano Co. where I was born and raised.

VTDW
11-22-2006, 10:52 AM
I was born in Georgetown and grew up in Midland waaaay back when. I moved to Oklahoma City in 72' so now I am Okiefied.:-D

Dave