PDA

View Full Version : H&G Molds

DOUBLEJK
05-14-2005, 06:07 AM
Once in a while I get lucky...
I picked up an old H&G mold on the auctions the other day...
a #130 185Gr. SWC .45ACP 4 cavity w/handles in great shape...
Liquified some Galena tonight n run er thru the new aquisition...
This is sure one nice mold....hard to get a bad cast no matter how I pour into it...n the bullets fall free just openin' the handles...
Ifin' it shoots near as good as it casts I'm gonna be a happy camper...
N' Gonna be on the watch fer more a these babies...;-)

fecmech
05-14-2005, 09:02 AM
I own 3 H&G 4 cavity moulds that were given to me by a good friend. Two are a "matched pair" of #39 158 rn and the other is a #50 148wc also for the .38. They are the best moulds I own, as you said bullets fall out on their own and next to no rejects once warmed up. They happen to be my most accurate bullets with the edge going to the rn. I'd swap one of my rn's for another H&G design in .38 or .45 if I got the chance, but that is unlikely to happen. Enjoy your new mould. Nick

beagle
05-14-2005, 01:04 PM
I once had a matched pair of 4 banger H & Gs. #130 and #50 when bullseye shooting was in vogue. Get those babies up to the proper temp and it was just like shelling peas.

In my opinion, the old H & Gs were the cadillac of moulds.....both in machining and in castability.

I have about 4 in my cabinet right now and they'll stay there until I'm gone./beagle

rbwillnj
05-14-2005, 11:40 PM
fecmech,

You have a Private Message.

locutus
05-22-2005, 11:53 PM
30 years or so back, I had access to a good friend's moulds. He was a " financially comfortable" older gentleman that only bought the best.

At the time, I was shooting .38 in both Bullseye and PPC. I also shot quite a bit of .357 Magnum for recreation.

My friend had two moulds in .38, that were ten cavity, and cast a WC bullet that weighed 148 gr in Lyman #2. In one evening, I could cast 2,000 bullets. He also had two ten cavity moulds that cast a SWC that weighed, IIRC, 168gr in straight linotype.

In a couple of weeks, working in the evenings, I could cast a years supply of bullets. :-P

If I could find those 10 cavity H&G moulds today, at anywhere near a reasonable price, I'd buy them.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find that kind of quality, or capacity.