PDA

View Full Version : Lee 358-105-swc C.O.L?

jmsj
09-04-2010, 12:06 PM
Hey guys,
I could use a little help. I bought the Lee .358-105-SWC mold to make some boolits for my wife to use for practice in her 38 Spl/357 mag CCW pistol.
Cast up about 1000 last night still need to lube them. I just finished making a sizing die and need to find an O-ring to fit the top groove.
My question;
I am planning on using 38 Special cases andthe lightest load of Bullseye powder that shoots decently.
I read the old posts and am a little confused about the C.O.L. If I read correctly some are seating and crimping in the crimp groove, some are using the front driving band and others are seating the nose flush with the case.
Those of you using this bullet w/ light charges, any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks jmsj

Tim357
09-04-2010, 12:54 PM
I seat all revolver boolits to their respective crimp grooves. As well, with light charges of powder, I taper crimp rather than roll crimp. I've noticed that a boolit may not always flatten out the case mouth when used with light charges. Plus the accumulated effects of recoil aren't anywhere near what they are with heavy charges, so the booilit walking out of the case is a non-issue.

Recluse
09-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Likewise, I seat to the first crimp groove on this boolit. However, I still use a roll-crimp--but that's just me and the way I prefer to crimp any boolits destined for the wheelguns.

2.7 grains of Bullseye gives my wife and the nineteen-year-old girl no recoil, no smoke, no big *BANG* and all the fun they can handle.

:coffee:

jmsj
09-04-2010, 02:58 PM
Thanks guys,
jmsj

XWrench3
09-04-2010, 08:46 PM
i am using the same mold, i use the top (crimp) groove as well. and i actually am loading all the way down to 1.5g of bullseye in my loads. my wife has a 2" rossi, and these shoot just fine out of that. i have not chronographed these yet. but even my 6 year old daughter can shoot this load. i use a little dandy powder measure with a #00 rotor.

tward
09-04-2010, 10:17 PM
I usually roll crimp in the crimp groove and have had good luck with 2.0 Grns of Bullseye. Use in my J-frame, nice load, low recoil.
Tim

jmsj
09-05-2010, 10:42 PM
Hey guys,
Thought I'd give you guys an update and a big thanks.
After reading your posts, I went to the shop and loaded up a few. I used the crimp groove and followed Recluse's reccomendation of 2.7gr of Bullseye. This is one accurate load. I was going to shoot a cylinder full just to see how much recoil they had. At 10 yds offhand, 5 shots into a little over inch w/4 touching. This was using a 5 shot Taurus model 605 w/ fixed sights and a 3' barrel. My wife really likes that they kick less than the standard level 158 grainers I had loaded previously.
Just got back from loading 450 more rounds for her. Thanks again,jmsj