PDA

View Full Version : Lead vs Jacket Loads differences

Zig308
09-07-2006, 11:33 PM
Hello all,
In my Lyman 47th and Hornady manuals, lead and jacketed loads for bullets of the same wt have different powder loads. Why is this? And then,,,
My WW cast bullets from a 150gn RN mold aren't 150gns exactly, but in the very high 140's. How far off from published bullet wts can one safely divert for chosing a powder wt? Should I go with a lower or higher bullet wt that is close to my actual wt for lead to chose a powder wt? Anything you can suggest would be appreciated. TIA
Zig

357maximum
09-08-2006, 01:28 AM
Hello all,
In my Lyman 47th and Hornady manuals, lead and jacketed loads for bullets of the same wt have different powder loads. Why is this? And then,,,
My WW cast bullets from a 150gn RN mold aren't 150gns exactly, but in the very high 140's. How far off from published bullet wts can one safely divert for chosing a powder wt? Should I go with a lower or higher bullet wt that is close to my actual wt for lead to chose a powder wt? Anything you can suggest would be appreciated. TIA
Zig

Welcome zig,

I interchange lead for j boolit data all the time, any load for j boolit data is safe in regard to lead boolits if it takes up similar case volume.. You will get more speed and less pressure across the board with lead substitutions in jacketed data weight vs weight. Accuracy, well that is another issue, that your gun will be left to comment on that. As far as weight,,say you have a 140 grain cast boolit, simply pick the load for a 150 grain load and work up from there, or down if accuracy is lacking. The only thing you need to look out for is case capacity,, if your cast boolit takes up more room in the case (shorter nose= more boolit in the brass and less available space= higher pressures) Just be cautious and always work up from minimum, be safe and smart, and you will get there.

you will likely find that one of the slower powders in the caliber will "USUALLY" treat you better accuracy wise. It gives the bullet a more gently launch, and is less likely to give you issue,,usually, not always..you will use more powder this way, but may very well get better results.

Are you launching the boolits out of a 38/357?

Michael

David R
09-08-2006, 05:46 AM
Hornady only uses pure swaged lead. Ya can't shoot em that fast or they will lead your barrel. I found out the hard way.

Zig308
09-08-2006, 08:46 AM
Gentlemen, thanks for the reply. Leading doesn't seem to be a problem but may be when working up loads and yes I launch these from a .357 loaded light with Bullseye and soon Clays and ( I think) 231. Guess I'll forgo the Hornady receipes for lead.
Zig

swheeler
09-13-2006, 12:35 PM
David R; the Hornady swaged bullets I've checked are harder than pure lead- approx an 8 BHN .314/90/HBWC, that's about what I get when alloying pure lead and WW 50/50

StarMetal
09-13-2006, 03:17 PM
I posted this somewhere before, anyways, I've shot alot of both Hornady and Speer swaged bullets. Now the hollowbase wadcutters I didn't push. But the 155 gr SWC's in 38/357 I did, along with 255 SWC for the 45 Colt (these got pushed real good). No leading. Scott is right that they aren't pure pure lead.

Joe

swheeler
09-13-2006, 03:38 PM
AND the Hornady are good accurate boolits! I've shot them in 38 too and are hard to beat- just don't get the satisfaction of making them yourself! I would like to know what their lube is, some kind of paste wax- guessing??

StarMetal
09-13-2006, 03:47 PM
Scott,

When I shot those factory bullets the Hornady had a waxy substance as you stated and was coated with a light color powder, like mica. Now the Speers at that time has a greasy type lube. They both worked just fine though.

I've been thinking just for the heck of it trying some of Hornadys swaged 32 cal SWC in my 30 lugers.

Hey did you go hunting? Get anything?

Joe

swheeler
09-13-2006, 03:59 PM
Joe:went up and got a couple grouse for opener, all the big game for me is still a month or better off- I haven't slung arrows for years. I did put in for buffalo this year, they are giving a loyt more permits-140? We have been burning pretty good, need some rain bad, looks like this weekend we'll get it and maybe some of the white stuff Scot