PDA

View Full Version : A question on melting zinc

grog18b
09-03-2010, 08:01 AM
Guys, I do a lot of work reloading 40mm (yes, MM) practice rounds, and was wondering if any of you knew of a smelting set-up like those made for lead, that might work for zinc? The 40mm uses zinc pusher plugs for practice rounds, and I have molds for them. I don't think lead would be a good choice, because of the deposits left in the barrel. I know the zinc melting temp is higher, but is there a smelter that will work, without me having to resort to a large propane system?

Thanks my friends, GROG

Jon
09-03-2010, 03:03 PM
I think you'll have a hard time getting an electric system to get hot enough. Propane is easy and cheap.

markinalpine
09-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Just to see if I could, I smelted the Zn weights I had accumulated in a stainless steel saucepan over a propane camping stove. They melted fairly quickly covered with the pan lid on, but I didn't think to check the temperature. :groner:

Mark :coffeecom

zxcvbob
09-04-2010, 02:53 PM
If your melter can handle pure soft lead, it can probably handle zinc. The melting temperatures are not that far apart. (650° vs 780°, approximately)

sagacious
09-04-2010, 03:06 PM
I am not familiar with any reloader-level electric production pot that is appropriate or warranted for use with zinc. A mild steel pot will soon be dissolved by zinc. Propane with a stainless steel pot is probably the best system for your application. Good luck.

grog18b
09-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Thanks Brothers, I appreciate the wisdom. I sent Waage an e-mail, and he recommended their K4757 for the zinc, but advised that it would be hard on the pot, and that it would have to be replaced after a bit of use. Just wondering how much use is a bit, but I guess we'll give it a go and see how it works out. Thanks again all, GROG