PDA

View Full Version : After all the fussin & cussin the 457122

Rusty W
09-02-2010, 10:56 PM
I've been trying to cast some bullets for my Ruger #1 45/70 for about 2 months. I bought a new 457122 mold a while back and tried casting with it. I've never cast a hollow point before so the cussin started. I have a Lee 4/20 and usually set the mold on the edge to let it heat up. The bolt that holds the pin wouldn't let me do this so I had to improvise. Got it to balance enough to heat up then started casting. More cussing started, don't touch the pin thingy with your bare hand, it's HOT. The little wooden knob is there for a reason. I tried a few more and just gave up. It is sooo hot outside, over 100 for too long so I didn't cast any more for over a month. I started fussin then since I got a couple sizers I just had to try out and had no boolits. Well it cooled off a little so I went out to the shop this evening with a better attitude. I told myself I was going to get this thing to cast or sell it. I tried the bottom pour drip o matic holding at different levels away from the nozzle. I found out it likes it right up next to the nozzle with the temp. between 750-800. I then remembered all the folks talking about the ladle pour. I tried it in the past & just couldn't get the hang of it. I thought I'd give it another try. It took a while but I think I've figured it out. A single cavity seems easier to ladle pour than a double, for me anyway. I'm still gonna use my bottom pour but for this mold I'm a dedicated ladle pour. If you have a fussy mold give it a try, it worked for me.

I have a few to sort through & cull. Pardon the cheap cell phone pics, they look better in person.

Dale53
09-03-2010, 01:02 AM
First of all, if the method works for you, that's all that counts.

I am a dedicated bottom pour man, regardless. Over the years I have developed techniques that seem to work with all moulds. It DOES take a while to develop casting skills (some experts say a minimum of two years). Whatever, you will continue to learn as you go (if you're paying attention:mrgreen:). I have been casting for about sixty years and I am still learning. Hopefully, I won't stop learning until they plant me.

I have reached a point that I actually enjoy casting. LOVE to see all of those good looking bullets.

lIncidentally, those are VERY nice looking 457322's. I have that mould AND a Ruger #3 in .45/70. That's a terrific combination, Ruger & Gould.

Dale53

runfiverun
09-03-2010, 01:47 AM
once you get into the 400 gr range a ladle is the way to go.
make you a wire hanger for your pin then it can rest on the heated pot or even in the melt for a bit.

StrawHat
09-03-2010, 06:34 AM
I cast with an older 457122. Yep both the mold and the pin need to be HOT. The lead can be a bit hotter than normal also.

If you want to practice with that boolit and avoid the HP pin, get another pin made up to produce a FN boolit. Easier casting and good for practice loads. Save the HPs for final load development and hunting.

Fly-guy
09-03-2010, 07:30 AM
Hollow points are cool but they just don't expand enough on a paper target to make it worth messing with. Get a double cavity Lee 457 - 340 GR FP boolit for plinking, target shooting and gong dinging. Use that 45-70 for what it was made for - having fun shooting the big one!

There is always time for messing with the hollow points and that is when it's too hot to shoot the gongs, use them on big game like rabbits, squirrles and deer!

CTI1USNRET
09-03-2010, 08:19 AM
I always thought that the purpose of a hollow point (for a rifle bullet) was to improve BC and move the CG rearward.

Mk42gunner
09-03-2010, 09:44 AM
The Gould boolit was designed as a deer hunting boolit for the .45-70.

Robert

Rusty W
09-03-2010, 10:09 AM
I have a couple other boolits for the 45/70. I like the RCBS 325-45FPGC, I just wanted to try the HP molds. The deer around here are small. An average size is about 120-140 or smaller field dressed. I just like experimenting with different boolit types. I'd like to try a Keith style boolit about 250-300gr for light target loads or a 350gr LBT. The 45/70 is easy to load for, like a big pistol. I just wanted to try casting a hollow point because I never have before. I have shot a bunch of jacketed bullets in several different calibers and in the 9mm, 38/357, 44/45 calibers I have seen a lot of HP/Controlled expansion bullets not perform as advertised.

WARD O
09-03-2010, 11:51 AM
The pin thingy needs to be up to temp as well as the mould - you can imerse the pin into the melt to warm it up when needed and then insert it into the mould.

Ward