PDA

View Full Version : Looking back a year. Think I've rounded the bend

ScottJ
09-02-2010, 08:39 PM
fully into this casting madness.

I didn't think I'd be this heavy into it this soon. I own 6 molds already and am caretaker of two more that belong to my brother. I have hundreds of cast loads sitting in storage already.

Just scored a single cavity 358156 off eBay and plan to have it hollow pointed. Never thought I'd being going that advanced this early on.

And I haven't even gotten into rifle stuff yet.

09-02-2010, 09:19 PM
The bend only increases in radius...you will never round it.

RobS
09-02-2010, 09:26 PM
If you are hear after a year then you are hooked for sure............fun isn't it. :)

sljacob
09-02-2010, 09:44 PM
yea I know what you mean, with just over a year casting my own and several thousand boolits later my wife calls me an addict

ScottJ
09-02-2010, 09:50 PM
My wife is rather supportive. When I got started I showed her the cost of casting my own (even at $25 per 5 gal bucket of WW) vs. what I could buy them off Midway for.

This excited her bargain shopper gene.

geargnasher
09-03-2010, 01:40 AM
My wife is rather supportive. When I got started I showed her the cost of casting my own (even at $25 per 5 gal bucket of WW) vs. what I could buy them off Midway for.

This excited her bargain shopper gene.

Now there ya go, gotta get her thinking trained ;-)

I knew for sure I'd married the right woman when she came home just a few days ago beaming and brandishing a 3-oz lead clip-on that she'd obviously found in the road somewhere. Only problem is I can't melt that one down, it's a keepsake!

462 is right, the radius increases but you never round the bend!

Gear

runfiverun
09-03-2010, 01:44 AM
easier to fall off the edge.
new excuse for ya now.
heck i already got a mold, and i'm pretty sure i found some brass at the range, i should have a couple of powders that'll work and i think there's a die set in that box of stuff i got from that guy at work.
by then her eyes glaze over.

Bret4207
09-03-2010, 07:50 AM
Good on you! Just realize that the "bend in the road" keeps moving farther away as your standards and interest increase. Kinda a neat thing when you think about it, a hobby that doesn't get boring after the first couple years.

Doc Holliday13
09-03-2010, 08:01 AM
I'm in this only for shotgun slugs and roundball when I get my musket. Maybe wadcutters for my 38

I have well over a grand in reloading gear and shoot enough calibers that I don't have enough time to cast for everything.

SharpsShooter
09-03-2010, 08:24 AM
I'm in this only for shotgun slugs and roundball when I get my musket. Maybe wadcutters for my 38

I have well over a grand in reloading gear and shoot enough calibers that I don't have enough time to cast for everything.

Don't cast for everything? My sincere condolences sir. With exception to an AR-15, it don't live at my house unless it is fed cast :D

SS

Blammer
09-03-2010, 08:35 AM
Look what happened to me! and this was only after a week! ;)

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Cast%20boolits/44list-1.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Cast%20boolits/DSCN7523.jpg

ScottJ
09-03-2010, 08:45 AM
easier to fall off the edge.
new excuse for ya now.
heck i already got a mold, and i'm pretty sure i found some brass at the range, i should have a couple of powders that'll work and i think there's a die set in that box of stuff i got from that guy at work.
by then her eyes glaze over.

I already tried that. My brother has been dumping his reloading gear on me (much of it I gave to him to begin with) since he's running out of space in his little place and doesn't have time to reload much these days.

Among that I have bullets, powder and dies for .270 Winchester. Someone else gave me some brass.

So now I tell her I need a .270 to shoot them in. That still gets me the eye roll.

jmsj
09-03-2010, 09:34 AM
My wife didn't call me a casting addict, she called casting my mistress. Sneaking off in the evening and staying in the shop till really late. That is until she really got into shooting, last week she shot 250-300 rounds.
There is no way we could afford to shoot much if we had to buy factory rounds or even store bought bullets for that matter.

mold maker
09-03-2010, 09:35 AM
I get the eye roll every time she hears the UPS truck in the drive. How does she know??????

cajun shooter
09-03-2010, 09:36 AM
Very nice group of bullets. The 44 with three crimp grooves must have been for 73 rifles and such. All those bullets and you still take time to help others. You are a big + for this forum Blammer.Later David

runfiverun
09-04-2010, 01:52 AM
and darryl don't even got a 44.
heck he's only got brass and molds for those whelen's pictured.
:lol: