PDA

View Full Version : Dove opener

Firebricker
09-02-2010, 08:31 AM
Anybody go dove hunting yesterday ? We hit one of the state dove fields at sunrise yesterday crowded but a ton of fun. Just don't ask me how many time's I fired to get eight bird's LOL. FB

runfiverun
09-02-2010, 10:53 AM
you say 8 birds in one day?
i seen 3 birds yesterday that's including 100+ miles of travell,
and counting the one collared dove thats been hanging out around the house.
think i'll go grouse hunting this week.

Three-Fifty-Seven
09-02-2010, 11:12 AM
We got lots out here, but haven't got a chance to go out yet, only got #4's loaded, so gotta reload some . . . going on a road trip this weekend too . . .

skeettx
09-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Hello All
HOT!!! Today, WOW
Went too early and the birds were sparse, but as the afternoon came, they also came.
45 doves

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSCN0096.JPG
Mike (Skeettx) left, David (71Zoomie) center, Bruce (86WCF) right

Mike 28 gauge Brittany SXS
David 20 Fausti O/U
Bruce 410 Crescent SXS

What fun, what fun,
I was going to use the 410 but took an ambulance ride to the the hospital on Sunday morning, got the nitro and morphene and the treatment for the heart, only got out late Monday and my left arm still hurts and does not swing too well so I went with the 28 ;D

David was going to bring his 28 gauge Fausti, BUT when he opened his gun case, he had put in his 32 Gauge Fausti ::)
So he had to use the back-up gun in 20 guage, he he he

Bruce brought his back up gun , a Huglu in 28 gauge but limited out with the 410

We are all 61 years old :o

Enjoy the day
Mike

Johnch
09-02-2010, 12:37 PM
We went goose hunting in the AM
But we also took along some #7 steel for the doves

Well we only saw 2 flocks of geese ( 5 & 6 birds ) , the flock of 6 stayed

But the 3 of us also shot .......several boxs of shells at the doves
I shot over 1/2 of a box of shells and ended up with 6 doves

The 3 of us ended up with 29 doves and 6 geese

John

chaos
09-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Dove was really spotty South West of Abilene. Worst opening day I've had in 30 years. Between me and my two boys we took 9 Collared Dove and 9 mourning Dove all day long. We saw way more Collared birds than anything. Funny thing is 5 years ago, those collared birds were not even here in numbers enough to count. There is no limit or season on them in Texas as they are not native birds.

Hunting on a Tank ( pond for you northern boys) butted up to about 160 acres of Maize/ Milo. This particular place has always yielded limits in the first hour or so of hunting on opening day for the last 6 years.

We have a front coming in the next couple of days should push some birds to us.

Three-Fifty-Seven
09-02-2010, 03:01 PM
We have to buy a migratory bird stamp to hunt them!

9.3X62AL
09-02-2010, 03:37 PM
I went out for opening morning to a guzzler about 20 minutes from the house. Ithaca 37 x 20 gauge. 11 shots in about 3-1/2 hours, 4 birds. All migrators, no big fat city doves shot or seen.

Firebricker
09-02-2010, 04:58 PM
skeettx, Looks like a good load of birds there nice hardware too. I was with abought 15 guys I think we had every kind of shotgun known to man. I used my o/u 12ga I would like to have a o/u in 20ga but 12ga is all I reload for right now. FB

skeettx
09-02-2010, 05:15 PM
Hello Firebicker,
I try to take a different gun every time I go out during the year.
Can not hunt today(Heart Doctor appointment) so will so Friday, Saturday and Monday.

123.Diesel a STATE migratory stamp??? , the Federal is not needed for doves

Mike

Matt_G
09-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Haven't been out yet, but I will get out tomorrow and Saturday.
Nice pic skeettx. :drinks:

Three-Fifty-Seven
09-02-2010, 08:49 PM

Mike

Yep State of AZ!! $4.50! But what's a guy to do?:violin:

Blammer
09-02-2010, 08:56 PM
I WISH there were some good dove fields around here. Not many here in the mountains.

DIRT Farmer
09-02-2010, 09:00 PM
I went with the James 10 ga dubble muzzle loader yesterday, one came over, 2 shots one dove, I had several in a clover field I replanted, but they started shelling corn a week ago and the doves have scattered. I took the Ithaca 12 ga today but no doves.

quack1
09-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Dove and goose started yesterday in Pa. too. Couldn't find the birds this year and with afternoon temps in the 90's I just went in the evening for the last couple hours for doves. I love to hunt them,and usually take a vacation day Sept. 1, but 90+ isn't fun for me and could be deadly for the lab. Saw a few birds but only one close enough to shoot at. The dog made a nice retrieve and was happy. Maybe the front coming tomorrow will bring some birds and cooler weather. At least I can say I'm shooting 100%.

Buckshot
09-03-2010, 01:40 AM
.............My neighbor went for the opener with several buddies and had a great time in the AM but the afternoon kicked his butt. They were out around Blythe and it was 'only' 104º here so it must have been in the teens where he was. Like me he hates to eat Dove, so he gave all his away. He said the shooting was hot and heavy.

Now for me, if I have a mind to go Dove hunting I have trimmed the entire ordeal down to it's basic essence. I merely walk out into the field and dump out a 25# bag of shot, climb back into the vehicle and head home for some rest and relaxation :-) Besides, if I wanted Dove I'd shoot'em off the phone lines behind the house with a pellet rifle.

.............Buckshot

Mk42gunner
09-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Hello Firebicker,
I try to take a different gun every time I go out during the year.
Can not hunt today(Heart Doctor appointment) so will so Friday, Saturday and Monday.

Mike

Best wishes with the Doc.

Missouri started that money making scheme several years ago. I think its six bucks for the stamp here. Don't know for sure, I've never bought one.

When I was growing up there was a lot of milo grown around here, it was easy to find doves anywhere you wanted. Now it is a rarity to see a milo field, it is also a rarity to see large numbers of doves.

Robert

elk hunter
09-03-2010, 11:17 AM
The oldest son and I went out to a water hole in the junipers and saw about twenty five birds in four and one half hours. We got fifteen between us. Pass shooting the little dodgers as they passed between the trees. Average range was probably less than twenty yards. The openings between the trees were quite tight. I shot poorly, over a box, and only brought home five birds of the seven or eight I hit. That spot is only good for one shoot, so I'm done for this year.

358wcf
09-03-2010, 12:25 PM
I envy each and every one of you for your stories of good times afield with friends and family-
I had the joy of WORKING on Sept 1, rather than participating in the traditional season opener. Damn glad I have a good job these days! Too many don't.
Lots of last minute things doing right not, the Doc is replacing my left knee next week-
hope to be back in the field for pheasants by mid October-- that's a BIG incentive for me-
Keep sharing your news- it warms my heart!

358wcf [smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

JIMinPHX
09-03-2010, 01:13 PM
My brother in law went dove hunting down in Argentina a while back. He said that he killed over 2,000 doves in a week, but didn't even put a dent in the population. Apparently, they have a LOT of them down there. He spent more on ammo that trip than I've spent on shotguns.

Around here, I see more doves in my back yard than anywhere else. About 30 of them seem to like camping out at my house. Unfortunately, the neighbors would take a dim view of me discharging a firearm in such close proximity to them, so the doves here just need to worry about the cats.

Boz330
09-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Had a good day in KY. Over a hundred. Actually about 45 birds better than last year. Best year I've seen so far. A good time with good friends.
We have that migratory bird tag as well $10. Next year I will be 65 and the senior license in KY is $5 for hunting, fishing, spring and fall turkey tags, deer tags and migratory bird tag. The only thing that costs extra is the $10 fee for the Elk draw and duck stamp. That is at least one good thing about getting old.

Bob

9.3X62AL
09-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Did another morning expedition this A.M., and the birds have learned much in the meantime. I saw a half-dozen in the first hour, none in reasonable shotgun reach, and after flaring off my hide site (!), they didn't even stop at the waterhole. As the morning continued, I heard quail calling around me, then saw a covey of 25-30 birds troop into the guzzler--hang around for a few minutes--then mosey along. About 10 A.M., 4 chukars flew in from the opposite side of the guzzler, got a drink, and were gone in less than a minute. Cool stuff to see, but it was getting HOT--and I hadn't seen a dove in the air since 9:15. I walked back to the truck and some ice-cold water at 10:30.

California has an Upland Bird Stamp, $8.40 to hunt doves, quail, chukar, turkey, pheasant, sage grouse. Waterfowlers have to buy both the Federal and a State duck stamp, the State stamp matching the Federal stamp's cost. I'm not into waterfowl, and haven't been for close to 30 years. Still, after license--stamps--and deep tags, the state vacuums over $100 from my wallet to hunt each year.

Buckshot
09-04-2010, 02:10 AM
...............9.3x62, I heard a couple years ago I think it was that someone (BLM, Forest Service ?) was going to be tearing out some of the guzzlers in the desert east-northeast of Pioneer Town? Then all the talk disappeared. You hear anything more?

..............Buckshot

RobS
09-04-2010, 04:04 AM
Haven't been dove hunting in Eastern Kansas, but did a fare share in the Western part of the state when I lived out there. This year's opener was wet out here and haven't had time to even pull out a shotgun.

missionary5155
09-04-2010, 04:08 AM
Greetings
Where I used to hunt doves I am now building a new church building. Arequipa is expanding by about 20,000 people a year and 3 years ago the overnight "Invasion" onto unused open land hit my old dove hunting areas.
Used 12 guage Winchester 7 1/2 with the powder dumped and reloaded with Blackpowder in my Mossy pump. Walk up the draw and kick start the small coveys.
I also have more birds sitting on my back wall sunning in the morning than I could eat in a week.. But I also have a wrist rocket that is very quiet.

crabo
09-04-2010, 08:03 AM
What is a guzzler? I am guessing some kind of small watering hole in ravine maybe?

RobS
09-04-2010, 10:34 AM
Best hunting we had was in Western Kansas with one natural spring watering hole and no other water for miles and miles. Sit, wait and shoot away. It became real intersting when daylight would start to close as birds would just blow in.

Firebricker
09-04-2010, 05:18 PM
Boz, That's a good load of birds look's like you were in good company also. I like the that you can get a group of friend's together and dove hunt. Most other hunting your usually off by your self. In Ohio you don't need any stamp but you have to take a survey for free for migritory birds. FB

9.3X62AL
09-04-2010, 05:48 PM
A "guzzler" in the California desert consists of a fan-shaped concrete apron that funnels rainfall into a shallow, slanted cistern that is often underground and roofed over to conserve the rainwater that the apron gathers and channels into that cistern. These sites are often well-camoflaged with brush or native rock. The purpose is to enhance survival of small critters through the hot summers, and to harvest whatever water may fall and store it long-term. The entrances to these cisterns are often barred to prevent entry by coyotes and foxes.

It is kind of poor form to set up shop right on top of a guzzler, but the surrounding area is often a good place to find birds and small game. At least two forms of life detest the presence of guzzlers in the desert--preservationist whackos like Earth First!, and National Park Service admin types inside the Beltway who decree that all man-made structures in areas under their jurisdiction are evil. These are the same passel of idiots who think re-planting wolves into Yellowstone was such a grand scheme, so there is a quick peek at their policy-making quality rating.

NPS was given stewardship of the East Mojave Desert Preserve in the mid-1980s, and among their idiot wind management ideas was the destruction of all the guzzlers built in their section of the desert since the projects began in the 1920s. This move received MUCH criticism locally and from conservation groups throughout the West, and NPS seems to have backed off. Indeed, in Fall 2008 I saw a newly-rebuilt guzzler north of Goffs in an area I quail hunt frequently. FWIW.

Rick, I am not conversant on the issues around Pioneertown or Yucca Valley. The elimination of man-made critter enhancements in wild areas was all the rage among the tree-huggers and fauna fascists from the 1980s forward, so it's possible the virus spread to BLM and/or USFS as well. The sighting of that nice, new guzzler well inside the NPS bailiwick was a nice thing indeed.

If some fool tried busting up a guzzler near here, he/she would likely get incoming rounds from several points of the compass. Some of us out here aren't real highly evolved.

Dillon
09-04-2010, 09:03 PM
I went today and we brought home about 50 between four of us. Had a lot of fun. Most shots were really far though and so this led to a lot of missed shots. about 20 of them are in the oven as we speak! It was the first day that I hunted with my 870 and I had a blast.

Matt_G
09-04-2010, 10:03 PM
about 20 of them are in the oven as we speak!

Care to share your recipe?

skeettx
09-04-2010, 11:12 PM
Hello All
Was another good afternoon,
Was using a Browning Superposed in 28 gauge, and got limit.

Was a challenge to locate the downed birds in tall weeds, but we did :D

As for cooking,
Breast out the birds
Soak in plactic container filled with water and placed in fridge.
Change water daily
Soak 3 days
Start up the grill (I use propane), Wrap the rack in alum foil,
Heat on mild
Take breasts out of water and place on tray, sprinkle with Tony Chachere's
Original Creole Seasoning, not too much, not too little ;-)
Place on rack
Cook lightly, too much and they will dry out like a rock.
That's it
Please report back how you like it

We serve with wild rice, biscuits, strawberry preserves, cold iced tea

and during the main course rasberry sherbet in champagne glasses
(try it, you will like it, good for Thanksgiving turkey also)

Mike

lwknight
09-05-2010, 03:16 AM
I went to wally world and bought a nasty commercially altered chicken.
Bummer! The dove populatin has been avoiding my area probably something to do with too much drought. Who knows.

iron mule
09-05-2010, 10:21 AM
hello fellas
the Burro [my son of 13] and i went out back in our field, not prepared for a dove field but we have some good flights come thru, we stayed from 7 am to about 830 am and ended up with 16 birds between the two of us
i was shooting the ole trusty 1100 and the Burro was shooting his brand new stevens model 820 / he even pulled off a double with it
wish i had taken some pictures but didn't think of it
hope all of you had a good opening day and that the rest of the season is good also
mule

jmsj
09-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Up here in N.E. New Mexico we haven't had a good dove season since about 1993 or '94. There always seems to be a cold front move through right before the opener and moves the flight pattern away from us. I see a few more this year, might have to get a license if a few more move in.
When I was a kid, our family had a tradtion- The Man Vacation. It was a week of dove hunting down in Yuma AZ. All the men and boys from about 4 or 5 families and huntiing dogs, camping and hunting. Man, the amount of birds down there was unbelieveable. Some of my best memories from my youth.
One of these days I'm going to have to move to where the bird hunting is better.
jmsj

9.3X62AL
09-05-2010, 02:58 PM
Bacon-wrapped dove breasts, dusted with black pepper after dipping in carne asada marinade. Onto a fairly hot barbecue fire for 4-5 minutes, turn frequently. Heaven.

TCLouis
09-05-2010, 09:10 PM
jmsj

I have shot few in the Wagon Mound area, but that was 70s.

Used to lots of the little rascals if one would go south of Vegas.

Not many weeds or grasses or farming to give them much of a food source on the high grass plains.

I wonder if one dropped off over around Tucumcari if there would not be more.

jmsj
09-05-2010, 10:16 PM
TCLouis,
Back in about 1995 a co-worker invited me to hunt south of Springer w/ him. We started south of the old Colmor town site along the railroad right of way. Hunted heading south for a couple of miles. Got into a some good bunches but it waas real difficult to find the downed birds in the sage brush and sunflowers w/o a bird dog. Never hunted around Vegas.
Hope the birds are flying in your area. jmsj

skeettx
09-06-2010, 12:12 AM
Hello jmsj
Where are you?
I come to Clayton to get fishing licenses and then to Springer and either to Charrette Lake or Eagle Nest, have fished other places, but these are the most productive
I know where Colmor is, and not much there.
Mike

jmsj
09-06-2010, 12:46 AM
skeettx,
I now live south of Cimarron NM.
If you have been to Charrette Lake then you had to pass through the Hoosier Ranch. I was the ranch foreman there before the owner had to sell off the cattle due to drought back 2002.Most of the property surrounding the lakes is the Hoosier or Mora Ranch.
Colmor was built on a gamble that it would be a railway stop. They lost that gamble, pretty much a ghost town now.The railway went through but it stopped in Springer instead.It is surrounded by the Old Red River Ranch. Back when I cowboyed for the Red River Ranch there was still one or two people living there.
jmsj

azcruiser
09-06-2010, 03:27 AM
Spent lots of time in Cimarron NM went there every yr from 1993 to 2002 for 1 week doing a class on reloading at the Phillmont Scout Ranch nice people. Liked the Pizza place 1/2 between there and the NRA Whitting center/pretty country

Boz330
09-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Up here in N.E. New Mexico we haven't had a good dove season since about 1993 or '94. There always seems to be a cold front move through right before the opener and moves the flight pattern away from us. I see a few more this year, might have to get a license if a few more move in.
When I was a kid, our family had a tradtion- The Man Vacation. It was a week of dove hunting down in Yuma AZ. All the men and boys from about 4 or 5 families and huntiing dogs, camping and hunting. Man, the amount of birds down there was unbelieveable. Some of my best memories from my youth.
One of these days I'm going to have to move to where the bird hunting is better.
jmsj

There use to be a lot of Doves in the Cibola National Forest NW of Magdalena when I guided out there in the late 90s and early 00s. Finding them after shooting might be a problem though since there were lots of Wild flowers and grass this time of year.

Bob

skeettx
09-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Hello JMSJ
Thanks
Nice place
Mike