PDA

View Full Version : Re: New Private Message at Cast Boolits

45nut
09-01-2010, 05:55 PM
I have been getting a rash of replies to notices that members have a private message here despite the text below in every notification:

Subject: New Private Message at Cast Boolits

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL!
*** IF YOU REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE IT DOES NOT GO TO THE PERSON WHO SENT IT TO YOU, IT WILL BE DELETED, YOU MUST LOG INTO YOUR ACCOUNT AT CAST BOOLITS AND SEND THEM A PRIVATE MESSAGE TO CONTACT THEM***

Repeated and careless replies almost have me asking if the system should be disabled,, what say you? :coffee:

Doc Holliday13
09-01-2010, 06:03 PM
I think a 3 day banning for not reading should be in order

HammerMTB
09-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Having PM is a handy thing for those who know how to use it or can read and comprehend.
For those who can't or won't (comprehend) I say just alter the reply destination so it won't clutter your inbox.
If the PM reply to the wrong place doesn't get thru, maybe the offenders will figure it out.

docone31
09-01-2010, 06:07 PM
You know, the e-mails are great, but everytime I get to the site, messages appear as a pop-up.
If it is better for the system, never mind the e-mails.
By the way.
You guys are doing a great job. Apparently you are all tireless!
Well done.

stubert
09-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Unfortunatly, you can't fix stupid.

fishhawk
09-01-2010, 06:20 PM
well you could just change there recieve email notifaction to no for PMs on the offenders in the vbulletin control panel. steve k

45nut
09-01-2010, 06:21 PM
You know, the e-mails are great, but everytime I get to the site, messages appear as a pop-up.
If it is better for the system, never mind the e-mails.
By the way.
You guys are doing a great job. Apparently you are all tireless!
Well done.

pop up notifications are a setting you opted in for , the same as the email notifications, either can be turned on or off by the member.

:cbpour:

Thecyberguy
09-01-2010, 06:21 PM
I like the emails. As said above ..can you change the reply email addy so they ge an error?

great site....thanks for keeping it going......even if I do miss ALL the deals in the swapping and buying... :-(

Have a good 'un thecyberguy

Doby45
09-01-2010, 08:02 PM
You could actually configure it so that any replies to that address goes automatically to the trashcan..

shootinxd
09-01-2010, 08:21 PM
I like the PM feature.But maybe an email sent to the offenders might do the trick.

09-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Use red letters for the warning?

Three-Fifty-Seven
09-01-2010, 08:48 PM
I think that if they send you the "reply" when it clearly say's don't, that they should also send you 50 pounds of lead for your troubles!!:D

Some people skip reading . . . not sure why they are on a forum . . . just saying!

I don't use the email me if I get a pm feature anyways . .. wouldn't bother me if it was gone!

Thanks to all you make this site possible!

Silent
09-01-2010, 08:55 PM
Unfortunatly, you can't fix stupid.

+1

I rely on the email notifications to alert me to the PM's on various forums. I'm in favor of short time outs for those who can not read.

Pepe Ray
09-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Use Red Letters For The warning

sagacious
09-01-2010, 10:41 PM
If the question is whether to disable the email notification of a pm, then yes, disable the email notification. The onsite notification is plenty adequate, and time spent by mods addressing these replies is simply time wasted. The email notification is not mission-critical anyway.

Doby45
09-01-2010, 10:48 PM
The email notification is an OPTION. I say the option should be defaulted to NO NOTIFICATION. This would make it so the people that DO like an email notification can get one. With me having a "smart" phone it is easy for me to check immediately if I get a message without having to manually check the site every few hours if I am expecting a PM from someone, like Miha..

rtracy2001
09-01-2010, 10:53 PM
You could always set up a rule so that when you get a reply it sends and auto response that says something like

Can't you read stupid? Is says don't reply to this message.

Recluse
09-01-2010, 11:26 PM
The email notification is an OPTION. I say the option should be defaulted to NO NOTIFICATION. This would make it so the people that DO like an email notification can get one.

I'll hang a big +1 on this one and nominate it for "Best Reply to Subject At Hand."

I don't like e-mail, I don't like cell phones, I don't like regular phones, and for the most part, don't like interactive internet forums.

Cast Boolits is the notable and sole exception. There are a few I've reluctantly registered on, and on rare occasion or when I'm excessively feverish I will post to them. Other than this forum, I think my next most "active" participation on one of them has me as a member for something like eight years with a total post count of less than ten.

I'm ok with PMs here--great way to communicate one-on-one and I've made some really good friends here via Private Messaging. However, I have the e-mail option turned OFF because as stated above, I don't like e-mail and may go days or even weeks without checking it. I pretty much check in here just about every day.

For those who can't read, forgot to read, whatever who reply to e-mails that state "Do not reply to this e-mail," I agree with Steve about simply disabling that function in their control panel. For everyone else who do know how to use this function, I agree with Doby that the option should be reversed where you HAVE to click ON IT in order to receive e-mail notification for PMs.

:coffee:

lwknight
09-01-2010, 11:41 PM
Is it really being problematic or just getting under your skin?
The older we get , the less patience we have for the samo stuff that never changes.

geargnasher
09-02-2010, 12:25 AM
I must be getting old, too. The people who post in the Boolit Exchange "I have 1K 45 ACP brass, need .30 cal boolits" drive me nuts. There is a very clear sticky on what that forum is for, but apparently nobody reads it. I also get tired of seeing Obamanation threads in Cast Boolits. I hate the liberal morons who are running this country into the ground just as much as the rest of you, but I don't come here to get the news. I come here to get away from the news. We have sub-forums for the other stuff.

So, as per my sig line, head off stupid. Is there a way to automatically have the server boomerang an e-mail reply that says what Rtracy suggested (except add a comma and change "is" to "it")?

Gear

qajaq59
09-02-2010, 07:45 AM
Good grief, if they can't see that notice they have to be stone blind. But the e-mail notice is handy, for me at least. Maybe putting your comment here will get people's attention.

Edubya
09-02-2010, 08:55 AM
Put in the "subject" of the notification: "Do not reply"

EW

rtracy2001
09-03-2010, 09:44 AM
boomerang an e-mail reply that says what Rtracy suggested (except add a comma and change "is" to "it")?

Gear

Wow, 9:00 PM is a lot later than it used to be :oops:

gray wolf
09-04-2010, 09:37 AM
I for one like to see that I have a notice in my E-Mail. I am not on the board all the time
and it's easy to see if I have a PM or a message.
Just make the do not respond a little ( a lot ) bigger for the nit-wits and the incompetent.

theperfessor
09-04-2010, 10:03 AM
I wonder how many come from an auto-reply that some people set up for when they go on vacation and such.