PDA

View Full Version : What can we hunt in El Paso Texas and Western NM if were out of state

Just Duke
08-31-2010, 09:15 AM
One of the two Hacienda's that wifey likes (were getting both) is 6 hours from El Paso Texas. So can we buy an out of state licenses and hunt there?
What's to hunt if I may ask?
Someone please tell me pigs in El Paso. Please!!! [smilie=1:
Pigs Pigs Pigs! :Fire:

New Mexico?

TCLouis
08-31-2010, 08:11 PM
6 hours from El Paso covers one heck of a LOT of country Duke.

A cardinal direction might be at least a bit of a hint (so we already know south is not one of them).

Or, how about a minor detail like the name of a nearby town.

JesterGrin_1
08-31-2010, 08:31 PM
TEXAS is a BIG PLACE lol. I would not expect to see Pigs around El Paso though.

onceabull
08-31-2010, 08:44 PM
Duke:3.5 hours S.E. to Alpine from E.P., Can't say re:pigs, but primo Texas deer hunting..The "Hill country" (for Me that's Marble Falls So.to Bandera,Kerrville W.to Mountain Home). is out of the range you set, but worth it.. Onceabull

BoolitBill
08-31-2010, 09:59 PM
Sorry Duke,
Most of the hunting in El Paso is dove or quail. We have to go to either southern New Mexico or down to Alpine in the Big Bend area for mule deer. You might shoot a Javelina 50 or so miles away from EP but since most of the land is private you would need permission from the land owner first (usually the next question the game warden asks you after, may I see your license please?). I travel all the way to South Texas to hunt whitetail deer on a ranch of a friend. As far as Pigs go, I did see a pig on a farm once in the valley near the Rio Grande but I think that somebody from south of the border stole it and made tamales out of it.

Just Duke
08-31-2010, 10:46 PM
Sorry Duke,
Most of the hunting in El Paso is dove or quail. We have to go to either southern New Mexico or down to Alpine in the Big Bend area for mule deer. You might shoot a Javelina 50 or so miles away from EP but since most of the land is private you would need permission from the land owner first (usually the next question the game warden asks you after, may I see your license please?). I travel all the way to South Texas to hunt whitetail deer on a ranch of a friend. As far as Pigs go, I did see a pig on a farm once in the valley near the Rio Grande but I think that somebody from south of the border stole it and made tamales out of it.

Oh well, at least I can take wifey to see the sights in El Paso.
Thanks for the heads up guys. And the travel info. ;)

Just Duke
08-31-2010, 11:04 PM
the game warden asks you after, may I see your license please?).

I have to chuckle at this one. The last time I saw or talked to a game warden was 1972. lol
Not that I was avoiding them, I'm always game for a chat with most fellas. Might have thing been a geographic being I was at one time a former marathon runner and usually clad in a G-suit out in the middle of no where. lol
Although I have found now in my old age to harvest my game closer to the road now. http://nevadashooters.com/images/smilies/old.gif
<sigh> Now..... it's just wranglers and ropers and a foot race for me would be at a local senior rest home. <sigh> :redneck:

Just Duke
08-31-2010, 11:07 PM
6 hours from El Paso covers one heck of a LOT of country Duke.

A cardinal direction might be at least a bit of a hint (so we know south is not one of them).

Or, how about a minor detail like the name of a nearby town.

Sorry TC my writing skills have never been real good.
El Paso and vicinity. I do hope to find El Paso as a cowboy town. :redneck:

Just Duke
08-31-2010, 11:11 PM
Cowgirls in El Paso? :bigsmyl2:

Three-Fifty-Seven
09-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Cowgirls in El Paso? :bigsmyl2:

Bring your own, there will be alot of cross border girls . . .

Were less than 4 hrs from EP, we have javelina over here . . . Dove season starts today! Quail in a month . . .

Just Duke
09-01-2010, 09:11 AM
So how far into Texas would one have to go to do this pig hunting where all the folks have problems.

I'll trade an Elk Hunt stay at our place and we will feed you for a pig hunt in Texas.
Anyone?
P.S. Our realestate guy says we'll have elk walk though our property several times a day. Sounds like fun to me. Let's Eat!

JJC
09-01-2010, 03:21 PM
Check out the NM Game and fish web site. I want to say I read somewhere that Ibex and Aoudad were year round and OTC lic? I could be wrong, and don't know if they are in that part of the state.

Just Duke
09-01-2010, 03:26 PM
Check out the NM Game and fish web site. I want to say I read somewhere that Ibex and Aoudad were year round and OTC lic? I could be wrong, and don't know if they are in that part of the state.

Isn't the Ibex indigenous to Africa?

Just Duke
09-01-2010, 03:30 PM
HOLY SMOKES!!! http://www.wallagogoutfitters.com/oryx.htm

JJC
09-01-2010, 04:04 PM
I'm not sure? They look good on the wall my kid shot one but they smell horrible, and the stink lingers even after taxidermy. Don't think I would eat one. The Aoudad however was mighty tasty

BoolitBill
09-01-2010, 06:15 PM
Duke,
What sights are of interest to you in EP? Since I live here I can guide you in the right direction as to what is available. The one thing I can tell you for sure is not to go to Juarez! A major drug war is in progress there and the city is basically lawless. Kidnapping is rampant and car hijackings are common place. Murders are a daily thing and even if you are not involved in the drug business the guy sitting next to you at the restaraunt may be. Hit men there tend to spray the crowd with bullets around their target since they don't know who may be his bodyguards. If you take any gun into Mexico you will spend several years in a Mexican prison! El Paso is still OK but Mexico is bad news.

JesterGrin_1
09-01-2010, 07:34 PM
BoolitBill I did send him a pm to inform Duke of how bad things are down there. And to keep a sharp eye out even in El Paso.

Three-Fifty-Seven
09-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Can't even take ammo across the border!:sad:

Just Duke
09-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Duke,
What sights are of interest to you in EP? Since I live here I can guide you in the right direction as to what is available. The one thing I can tell you for sure is not to go to Juarez! A major drug war is in progress there and the city is basically lawless. Kidnapping is rampant and car hijackings are common place. Murders are a daily thing and even if you are not involved in the drug business the guy sitting next to you at the restaraunt may be. Hit men there tend to spray the crowd with bullets around their target since they don't know who may be his bodyguards. If you take any gun into Mexico you will spend several years in a Mexican prison! El Paso is still OK but Mexico is bad news.

The only way I would ever go into Mexico is with a Tank Brigade and air support to replace their flag. :takinWiz:

longuner
09-01-2010, 09:26 PM
There are hogs in the Davis Mountains, Hunted them North of Fort Davis, when in college at Alpine.. That would be in 3.5 hour range for you and there are things for the wife to do in town..

Gee_Wizz01
09-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Duke

The pigs are everywhere in South Texas, the Hill Country and East Texas, at least these are the areas I am personally familiar with. I know they range as far west as Uvalde, and probably much farther west. A non resident general hunting license is $315 and good for a year. There is an additional $7 for a Texas migratory bird endorsement for doves, waterfowl and Sandhill cranes and several other species. Turkey endorsement is usually around $120 TO $150 extra. They also have five day hunting license for exotics and game birds and non game (pigs, squirrels, javelina and alligators at a lower price, usually around $50. If the laws haven't changed you might not need a license to hunt pigs, if you act as the landowners agent for pig depredation.

G

pls1911
09-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Just returned from my 20th annual West Texas dove hunt.
Scattered this year due to the amount of rain.
Hauled the kitchen and cooked 200+ birds, roasted chili's, bacon beans, fried jalapenos and potatoes. Fed nearly thirty folks.

If you want the best real Mexican food Texas has to offer, get out of El Paso south to Ft. Hancock... just off the highway is Angie's, a small little cafe with everything fresh daily.
The chili platter (Verdes or roja chiles, onion, beef and potato cubes, lard heavy refried beans, piping hot tortlla's and couple of fried eggs) for breakfast... it's all good, the everyone is at home. All the locals, as well as the DPS , wardens, Sheriff and INS personnel cycles through every day, as well as politicians.... it's ths only place for a few miles around.

Regarding hunting, dove and quail are about it along the border.You'll rarely find an occasional pig, and other than some selected sections of the Rio Grande levee, and the desert to the east toward the Finley mountains, most of it's leased , or owned for agriculture, restricting access. The fence has been completed as far down river as Esperanza, which took away abot 40 miles of EXCELLENT dove hunting.

If your interest in trade for an Elk hunt is genuine, I'll investigate access to a place around Junction Texas which feeds and waters all comers ( Pigs and exotics have pushed the whictetail population nearly out) 24/7 every year and has a generous Pig population.

Where are you that you have elk?

As stated , entry to Mexico is somewhat ill advised these days.

pls1911
09-26-2010, 11:09 AM
Duke,
per my note above, I've been hunting downriver from ElPaso for 22 years.
Dove and jackrabbit is about all that you can count on, and rattle snakes.
The crew takes over a hotel parking lot for a cook out and feed the neighbors effort after the second day so we can legally hunt more. Accomodatons are rustic 1950's... the last time they were painted serviced or exterminated, and dirt parking lot you know? But it's the only place local. Sometimes it's a shoot, sometimes it's a hunt, but it's always fun. Locals and wardens and sheriffs make it interesting, and so long as the cartels keep their bullets and blades in El Provenor and Juarez, we'll keep goin back.
Where in NM are you picking up a homestead?

Just Duke
09-26-2010, 12:11 PM
Duke,
per my note above, I've been hunting downriver from ElPaso for 22 years.
Dove and jackrabbit is about all that you can count on, and rattle snakes.
The crew takes over a hotel parking lot for a cook out and feed the neighbors effort after the second day so we can legally hunt more. Accomodatons are rustic 1950's... the last time they were painted serviced or exterminated, and dirt parking lot you know? But it's the only place local. Sometimes it's a shoot, sometimes it's a hunt, but it's always fun. Locals and wardens and sheriffs make it interesting, and so long as the cartels keep their bullets and blades in El Provenor and Juarez, we'll keep goin back.
Where in NM are you picking up a homestead?

Thanks for the reply all. We won't be living in NM at all just within a few hours drive from a tentative summer home per sale of one of my properties.

I just can't get her to leave the South West now that we left Vancouver/Portland/Vernonia........
She does REALLY REALLY likes that Mogollon Rim area on the AZ-NM border. Largest Elk in the country too. It will be only 4 hour back to Phoenix when the seasons change.
I guess we will just go to El Paso for the scenery then. Sante Fe should be fun.

Marine Sgt 2111
09-27-2010, 01:47 AM
The only way I would ever go into Mexico is with a Tank Brigade and air support to replace their flag. :takinWiz:

I think we need to set up a 2 mile DMZ, south of the border and just claim it as no mans land. Decorate the landscape with M-240MG's and M-2's and I know there has to be "old stock" claymores that could be used up. Just like the way that the military started using 15,000lb daisy cutters as anti tunnel bombs...hell yes...let's rotate the old stock out. Oh and as Bill Cosby said, let retired military arm the fighting positions...cause we really don't care anymore. (I'll get off my soap box now.)

pls1911
10-03-2010, 10:54 PM
A few dozen Ma Duece's would certainly be impressive, especially if they cleared their throats once a day...