PDA

View Full Version : 1873 Winchester dust cover

Major Tom
08-31-2010, 07:19 AM
I am looking at a 1873 Winchester, 38-40. The rifle is exceptionally fine to look at. I noticed the dust cover was slightly raised above the action. Seller said this is normal. Is he right? Thank you

08-31-2010, 09:48 AM
On top? Kinda I guess. The curvature of the dust cover is less than the curvature of the top of the receiver so they don't match up perfectly (greater radius in the cover than in the receiver top). The cover rides on top of the vertical sides of the receiver but should mate up about flush with the top (TDC) point of the receiver ring when closed. The cover rides in a rail on the rear part of the receiver. Almost all are a little "floppy" at best as they tended to loosen and wear with use. Unless you're looking at this 73 as a top investment collector, the cover is secondary to the function and shooting of the gun. When the bolt opens, a lug will catch a notch on the underside of a closed cover and move it to the rear... where is stays during shooting. Things like headspace, bore condition, cycling, general condition and action parts wear are more critical to a good 73 than the dust cover. Of course if it is an original 73 that has been re-blued or re-finished, the dust cover really becomes unimportant.