PDA

View Full Version : Post Office slow or lost Check

DCP
08-30-2010, 10:41 AM
Post Office slow or lost Check

Sent 18 of Aug
So we are at 12 days or 10 working days.

IL to ID

Anyone else with a sad tale?

Thanks

RayinNH
08-30-2010, 10:47 AM
I've sent things half way across the country in two days. I've also sent things two towns over and have it take three days. The whole system is a cr@p shoot...Ray

DCP
08-30-2010, 11:34 AM
It cost $25.00 to stop payment on the check

This puts the cost of the mold up to $135.00

Paypal would have been a whole bunch cheaper.

This may cost me $25.00 extra dollars because of the USPS

The Question is, how long do I wait to stop payment?

Three-Fifty-Seven
08-30-2010, 02:40 PM
I'd wait another week . . . if you trust the seller, I might wait longer, or send another check, and ask the seller to return the second check if it shows up . . . I would not pay $25 to stop payment on a check that small.

Keep checking you bank to see if it has been cashed. (maybe someone else got it?)

Czech_too
08-31-2010, 07:36 AM
This is precisely why I've gone to using nothing but postal money orders usually sent with delivery comfirmation. It costs a touch more but I feel more comfortable.
I had one money order, purchased at the bank, that was lost and it was a hassle and costly stopping the payment on it and replacing.

fecmech
08-31-2010, 09:27 AM
A few years back I bought a gun from a fellow at the club. He said just send me a check as he lives about 30 miles away and gave me the gun. I sent the check and after a couple weeks it had not arrived so I sent another which did. I think he thought I was BS"ing him until 3 months later the original check showed up! I did not put a stop on it and just had him tear it up.

chris112
09-01-2010, 12:46 AM
Had a notifacation of a change in payrate sent supposedly on the 1st of October. It got to me on the 30th which was two weeks after the effective date on it.

home in oz
09-01-2010, 12:50 AM
They continue to amaze me with their intermittant service.

dualsport
09-01-2010, 01:08 AM
I bet it'll show up. They've misplaced my mail for a while but never lost it. I often send cash for small purchases here to sellers cross country and have never been burned. I know, I'm tempting the devil but it feels so good when a distant stranger comes thru on the up and up. Renews my faith. Funny thing is I'm a pessimist by nature. Feels good when people don't let me down. Never been burned or disapointed buying anything off this forum. Casters aren't lazy, thieves are.

MT Gianni
09-01-2010, 03:50 AM
Sent my BIL a check last Dec. He found it in the bushes between his neighbors fence and his when spring came to Wyoming about April. Stuff happins. He doesn't know if it blew out of his hand or the Postmans when they were at the box.

steg
09-01-2010, 04:22 AM
Yep, I mostly stick with the postal money order, and confirmation..............steg

missionary5155
09-01-2010, 08:40 AM
Good morning
I have mailed numerous checks from here in Peru to numerous cities throughout the 48... they all made. Only one took a unque llama path and furried about for 2 months. Most letters from here get delivered in 8-10 days.

bgokk
09-01-2010, 11:21 AM
I don't remember exactly how long ago I sent an $800.00 deposit to a bank in AR from Memphis TN. One of the checks in the deposit was mine. My check has never been cashed. The bank never received the deposit. It's still out there somewhere.:oops:

BG

Changeling
09-01-2010, 01:59 PM
Except for someone/company I really trust, I pay by Visa/money order. If they don't take it I don't buy.

wills
09-01-2010, 02:09 PM
We had an item come back undelivered recently. The first delivery attempt was two days after it we mailed it. The second delivery attempt was 20 days later. What was the post office doing with the item for 20 days? Our mailman told us they are supposed to either deliver the item or return it in 3 days.

fatelk
09-01-2010, 04:30 PM
As I posted in the other thread on this in the off-topic forum, we've had at least 3 pieces of mail lost in the mail in the last few years. Make that four actually; a utility payment that actually showed up in pieces a couple months later, a graduation card with a check, a Gunbroker payment (postal money orders from now on- no more bank cashier's checks), and just last month a lost mortgage payment. We pay as much on-line as possible now.

I had a flat-rate envelope full of lead returned a while back. Apparently someone at the PO didn't like a 20 pound envelope, returned it with a note saying I owed another $40 postage or something on it. I took it down to the PO and the postal guy there just shook his head. He said there was no problem with it at all and that he had seen them much heavier. He sent it out again and it went through fine.

Springfield
09-01-2010, 04:59 PM
So, if a USPS Money Order gets lost, what is the advantage? Can you stop payment on it easily online? NO. Do you know if it really got there by checking you bank account in case the receiver is trying to rip you off? NO. Can you easily get your money back if you think it is lost? NO. A money Order is mostly for the convenience of the seller not the buyer. I prefer checks. Or better yet, Paypal, gunhaters or not they provide a good service.

Doby45
09-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Amen, Springfield. They fuel the gun market if they know it or not. Period.

white eagle
09-01-2010, 05:46 PM
sometimes it is our own errors that cause things to not go where they were supposed to
could be as simple as leaving a # off the zip or misspelling a street add or something
but it seems the po gets a bad rap
I just sent something to Canada it made it took awhile but it got there

tomf52
09-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Shotguun barrel NJ to North CArolina - 29 days

USPS money order Pa to Maine via Priority Mail - - 17 days (I can drive there in 5 hours)

DCP
09-01-2010, 06:37 PM
If you copy the address then paste it and print a envelope on your computer and printer. Mine has my return address on. There is no chance for a mistake unless the seller doesn't know his own address

Still hasn't made it or returned

sometimes it is our own errors that cause things to not go where they were supposed to
could be as simple as leaving a # off the zip or misspelling a street add or something
but it seems the po gets a bad rap
I just sent something to Canada it made it took awhile but it got there

TCLouis
09-01-2010, 09:52 PM
See my post of "woe" in the off subject section.

Some years ago I had a package come from either Maryland or Virginia nd rattle around in a fed up truck here iin the Franklin area for over two weeks before fedup returned it to the shipper.

UPS had it here two days latter.

I mailed a check some 10 years ago and it was never returned or cashed. Forget now what gun goody I had ordered.

I have gone to mostly USPS Money orders just because it give me peace of mind for several varied reasons.

lylejb
09-01-2010, 11:58 PM
years back, as in the 90's, I mailed a check for my mechanic's certification tests. I mailed it at the main post office for my area, dropped in the mail slot inside the building. It was last minuite, it had to be postmarked that day.

About a month later, I still hadn't recieved my reply from the testing company, and the date of the test was getting close. I called the testing co. they never recieved it.

almost a year later, I get a letter from the testing company, saying I was too late to register for last years exam and enclosed my original envelope and check. The postmark was about 10 months AFTER I mailed it.

Dale53
09-02-2010, 12:08 AM
On the positive side, I mailed a Large Flat Rate envelope that had 18 sticks of black powder lube in it. I mailed it late Monday afternoon from SW Ohio. It was received in Montana on Wednesday! You sure couldn't ask for better than that!!

Dale53

fatelk
09-02-2010, 12:53 AM
So, if a USPS Money Order gets lost, what is the advantage? Can you stop payment on it easily online? NO. Do you know if it really got there by checking you bank account in case the receiver is trying to rip you off? NO. Can you easily get your money back if you think it is lost? NO. A money Order is mostly for the convenience of the seller not the buyer. I prefer checks. Or better yet, Paypal, gunhaters or not they provide a good service.
I use paypal too, whenever I can. It is so much easier and quicker than getting a money order.

The only advantage of a postal money order is that it's only $5 to cancel and replace. A personal or cashier's check is $25 to stop payment.

We did a bunch of ebay stuff a couple years ago, and used dozens if not hundreds of flat rate priority mail envelopes and boxes. Never had a single problem with them, and some of them were delivered amazingly fast.

fatnhappy
09-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Post Office slow or lost Check

Sent 18 of Aug
So we are at 12 days or 10 working days.

IL to ID

Anyone else with a sad tale?

Thanks

I sent a payment to a loan holder once. He claimed he never received it. It turned into such a whizzing fest I paid the note in full and told them to pound sand.

About 7 years later I received the unopened letter in my mail, stamped "found in supposedly empty machinery"

Can you believe that happens enough to warrant a Post Office stamp?

I went down to the post office and made the post master reinburse me for the face value the stamp on the letter they never delivered.

Dean

GP100man
09-03-2010, 06:24 PM
I got a check lost in space on a holster deal - - - - -waiting - - - - -

looseprojectile
09-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Last Sunday I ordered some stuff from Bufalo Arms in Idaho, just next door.
At the same time I ordered some stuff from Midway USA.

I got the order from Bufalo Arms Last Tuesday. This guy is on the ball !!
Still waiting on the order from Midway, maybe next week? Business too big?

I always use a dedicated Visa Card for online orders.

I am old fashioned. Really small orders I send cash. Works for me.
So far so good.

Life is good