PDA

View Full Version : Pentagonal Hollow Points?

bbailey7821
08-29-2010, 09:38 PM
Could some of you more seasoned casters/shooters inform me on the advantages of the five sided Hollow Points? I currently cast HP's using an old modified RCBS Keith Style .44 cal. I've just bought one of Mihec's with both style pins. Looking forward to the heavier bullet, but wanted to hear from the more experienced with this type.

Doby45
08-29-2010, 09:40 PM
I think the penta point just helps the boolit to expand with petals instead of a classic mushroom. The petals mean additional sharp and pointy things cutting stuff as it passes through the intended target.

blaser.306
08-29-2010, 09:49 PM
I think the penta point just helps the boolit to expand with petals instead of a classic mushroom. The petals mean additional sharp and pointy things cutting stuff as it passes through the intended target.

And more importantly . THEY JUST LOOK REALY COOL!!!!!!

Blammer
08-29-2010, 09:51 PM
They are the 'black talon' of the cast boolit world! :)

bbailey7821
08-29-2010, 09:51 PM
They definitely look really cool, but Miha's regular HP's are some nasty looking mother's!

Doby45
08-29-2010, 09:54 PM
Bailey your right bud, even the regular ole round pin hollowpoints look awesome. The pentas are a sexy beast as well.

Three-Fifty-Seven
08-29-2010, 10:32 PM
I actually prefer the round ones . . . MiHec's recent 434640
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/4346402.jpg

Push a round one fast enough and it will come apart too . . . same boolit, but what is left of one going a tad faster on the right . . .
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/434640RoundHPinwater1.jpg

But . . . most people will not argue if there staring at this:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Ruger%20Alaskan/Inyourface.jpg

Those are H&G 503 copies that looks like this afterwards:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Ruger%20Alaskan/HG5035.jpg

Doby45
08-29-2010, 10:37 PM
Who happened to be behind that camera that you have an armed trigger finger aimed at?

longbow
08-29-2010, 10:42 PM
Shawn:

What are you using to catch your boolits?

I made up an expansion tester last spring and have not had a chance to use it yet. Hopefully soon. I will be using 2 liter pop bottles full of water end on per Glen Fryxell then hanging baggies of water and finally a rag catcher to try to recover expanded boolits "undamaged" as it were.

My last two outings were with milk jugs full of water on one and full of "bread dough" on the last outing (that one is a story on its own!). Recovery of boolits did not go well and I went through an awful lot of milk jugs.

You seem to be recovering lots of boolits and sharing terrific photos of them. I do like to see recovered boolits when I can.

Longbow

Three-Fifty-Seven
08-29-2010, 10:44 PM
Who happened to be behind that camera that you have an armed trigger finger aimed at?

Surprised that in this technological world, people have never heard of a self timer on a camera . . . you are the third person who has responded this way . . . my old discontinued Canon Powershot S2 IS even has a pivoting view finder . . . so I can look at the view finder till everything is lined up right, then when the timer lets me know . . . I just smile!

Nobody was endangered . . .

Three-Fifty-Seven
08-29-2010, 10:46 PM
Longbow,

The second picture was recovered in water . . . the fourth picture I used shredded rubber mulch.

geargnasher
08-30-2010, 12:44 AM
Shawn I think you got that covered!

My understanding was the pentagon was an experiment in making harder or more brittle alloys expand without fragmenting the nose by giving the nose controlled failure points, like the BarnesX bullets.

Hollowpointmold.com has a section on the various HP designs including the cup point, could have sworn there was a pentagon in there but can't find it now. IIRC some of our members contributed to the testing.

Gear

Hardcast416taylor
08-30-2010, 12:20 PM
I met up with a widow of a reloader at his auction sale of his "stuff". He had reformed an allen wrench to make a top punch for his luber/sizer to use on his already H.P. bullets. This gave him an octagonal hollow point that did indeed look mean.Robert

JesterGrin_1
08-30-2010, 01:28 PM
In my humble thoughts the Hex Hollow point is more intended for personal defense than for hunting. Where as the Round Hollow Point can be used for personal defense and hunting. But I could be wrong lol. :)

ghh3rd
08-30-2010, 03:28 PM
I have the same HG mold and had the chance to push one of the boolits through some milk jugs full of water.

I was told that since I cast them from WW+2% tin, the petals would probably break off, which they all did. I was anxious to make a few with the new mold, and used what I had left in the pot. I haven't gotten around to trying a softer alloy, which should work fine.

ghh3rd
08-30-2010, 03:30 PM
edit - I just remembered that I took a picture of the first casts and it's my current avatar (including a few rejects)

Blammer
08-30-2010, 04:39 PM
123. deiselbenz, I'm amazed that the picture is not blury, I KNOW that CAMERA had to be shaking in it's 'frame'. :)

I guess I'm one of the few who assume that if you're taking a pic like that you're using the 'timed pic' feature on it. :)

BTW, that gun is FAR too clean. You need to shoot some 2400 in it. :)

fredj338
08-30-2010, 05:02 PM
Shawn I think you got that covered!

My understanding was the pentagon was an experiment in making harder or more brittle alloys expand without fragmenting the nose by giving the nose controlled failure points, like the BarnesX bullets.

Hollowpointmold.com has a section on the various HP designs including the cup point, could have sworn there was a pentagon in there but can't find it now. IIRC some of our members contributed to the testing.

Gear

It works fine for softer alloys too. Here are a couple of test runs; 4 & 5 sided in wetpack. I think it's like sciving on a JHP. It gives the bullet a place to start to tear, like trying to tear paper w/o a fold or perferation. Seems to work great in test samples.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/fredj338/45-215gr.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/fredj338/9mm-136-1200.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/fredj338/136hp-1050.jpg

Changeling
08-30-2010, 07:43 PM
Diesel what model and brand of camera are you using, really nice pictures.

NSP64
08-30-2010, 08:12 PM
123. Nice pics, but you'll never hit anything with your eyes closed:kidding:

Three-Fifty-Seven
08-30-2010, 09:40 PM
The first example that I showed above of the round hp, one is kinda mushroomed the other one lost it's nose . . . was the exact same alloy, powder charge and boolit, only difference is the "mushroom was shot out of my 2.5" Alaskan, and the one in "pieces" was shot out of a 20" Marlin 1894!

The camera is a Canon Powershot S2 IS, an older model I bought of ebay

I don't shoot alot of 2400 yet, I'm still getting use to that stubby 2.5" barrel! usuall 11-12 gr of blue dot, or 7-8 gr trailboss, or 8-9 gr unique . . . I may have cleaned it prior to that picture . . . I don't remember . . .I took the picture a month or two ago . . . I don't do that often (clean) . . .

Actually only one eye is closed! I learned that if I aimed right dead center of the lens you could not see up the barrel, so . . . I had to aim at the top of the flash, which cut out my rear sight and eye . . . of course aiming right dead center would line up the sights . . . with my eye.

Photo 101 tip:
I have found that it is best to try for a clear picture, more than a zoomed in fuzzy one, then I crop out what I want, which then appears larger I normally shoot my cheapy 5.0 megapixal camera at 2592 X 1944 I then do my crop, then resize if necessary to fit here on the page which I adjust to 700 X 525 this give a large clear bigger than life picture like this 434640 solid (being blown up like this makes seeing "problems" easier) like the flash or lip on the nose!

This is only 245 wide X 338 Tall:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/434640Solid3.jpg

This shows a 359640 that is starting to tear, another 200 fps, and it would be in pieces! (not real clearly focused!)
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/359640RoundHPinWater3.jpg

beagle
08-31-2010, 01:01 PM
For those of you looking for destruction on your HPs, there's an easier way. I drew up a "sharkstooth" TP but haven't got up to my machinist yet to have it made.

Make a flat TP. Have the machinist make three passes over it 120 degrees apart with a V shaped cutter in a mill.

Then bore a hole through the center and D & T. I was going to use a 10-32.

Take a allen head setscrew and turn the tip to fit your HP cavity. Install and adjust.

When base first sizing, the tip indexes and centers the bullet and the "teeth" will produce nice clean serrations spaced 60 degrees around the meplat of you HP bullet and presto...home made Black Talon.

Any of you home machinists feel free to use this idea....just send me one when you got it down./beagle

fredj338
08-31-2010, 03:27 PM
For those of you looking for destruction on your HPs, there's an easier way. I drew up a "sharkstooth" TP but haven't got up to my machinist yet to have it made.

Make a flat TP. Have the machinist make three passes over it 120 degrees apart with a V shaped cutter in a mill.

Then bore a hole through the center and D & T. I was going to use a 10-32.

Take a allen head setscrew and turn the tip to fit your HP cavity. Install and adjust.

When base first sizing, the tip indexes and centers the bullet and the "teeth" will produce nice clean serrations spaced 60 degrees around the meplat of you HP bullet and presto...home made Black Talon.

Any of you home machinists feel free to use this idea....just send me one when you got it down./beagle
I tired something sim to that w/ a top punch. The expansion wasn't nearly as uiniform. I don't think the skiving goes deep enough or it breaks the lead vs allowing the lead to bend away from the skiving in a cast HP. Pure WAG on my part.