PDA

View Full Version : Wagon Train

stephen perry
08-29-2010, 06:49 PM
How many you dudes remember 'Wagon Train' the series. I'm watching a CD that has it along with 'Shotgun Slade', 'Rifleman', 'Death Valley Days', 'The Deputy', ' Bat Masterson' and many others.

Black and White TV, first Color TV series, was Bonanza. Man I got pictures of me and my brother back in 57 with double silver guns, hat, chaps, and sneakers high tops. I was bad to the bone with plastic bullets all over my body.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

rhbrink
08-29-2010, 07:04 PM
Yep been there and done that! How about "The Rebel" Don't remember 'Shotgun Slade' though.

David2011
08-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Yep, all of 'em except Shotgun Slade here, too. Paladin, Rawhide, Wanted Dead or Alive, too. That was good family TV. People got shot but only when they needed it. It was a whole different deal from the gangsta **** of today.

David

stephen perry
08-29-2010, 07:16 PM
From talking to my classmates way back when a half hour show was all their mom's let them watch. After that the dreaded bath, dinner, and homework.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

EDK
08-29-2010, 07:19 PM
Have Gun, Will Travel is on at 530...I get home from work at 5; watch the local news and weather and then it's time for Paladin.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

Houndog
08-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Yep, been there and done that! It's a shame family entertainment like the shows mentioned are long gone! I sure wish we could relive that time in our country's history!

Echo
08-30-2010, 01:57 AM
Sorry, but I'm from an earlier age. Pre-TV (pre-WWII, too!), it was Tom Mix and the Lone Ranger.

BTW - Tom Mix had a ranch north of Tucson. He appeared in a local rodeo, and insisted on being paid in gold (pre-Roosevelt, of course). Driving home in his Duesenburg, he ran off the road at a culvert, and impacted the other side, which wouldn't have been too bad, except the $5,000 bag of gold coins smashed him in the back of the head, ending his show business (and otherwise earthly) career.

Buckshot
08-30-2010, 02:33 AM
.............Wagon Train was my grandfather's favorite show. He was a big fan of Ward Bond.

...............Buckshot

a.squibload
08-30-2010, 05:15 AM
Yep, good stuff. Also "Branded", Steve McQueen I think? Wrongfully accused of desertion.

Theme song lyrics as sung by neighborhood kids:

Stranded, stuck on the toilet boooooowl,
What do you do when you're stranded,
and you don't have a roll?

etc....

Hickory
08-30-2010, 07:39 AM
Go to this website and you can find a lot of old westerns.

http://www.hulu.com/channels/Action-and-Adventure/Westerns

Shooter
08-30-2010, 07:59 AM
The hay-burners are good, but I also like "Peter Gunn" and "Mike Hammer".
Peter waltzes in and out of police cases, disturbs crime scenes, and usualy get 1 concussion a show. His buddy Lt. Jacoby, is a left-handed sharpshooter who isn't bothered by Maranda rights.
Mike Hammer brawls his way through NY leaving a trail of dead bodys while ogleing the girls. I love the fist-fights where niether man loses his hat.
Remember when men wore hats?

stephen perry
08-30-2010, 07:59 AM
I will use the Western link. Echo talked about Arizona culverts. Part of my job in San Bernardino County is engineering bridges and culverts. You run off the road in any vehicle and go into a culvert you are most likely a dead plow boy. When they do DNA on you as my brother-in-law is deputy Coroner in our County they know what caused the problem, you know where I'm coming from on these 1 car fatal accidents.

Today I'm out in the Desert in the Barstow area checking out bridges on Route 66 later I will continue with the culverts out there too, I' m a Desert engineer, love it, could care less about the County engineer dept in San Bernardino where my buds are stuck, doing what I have always done and getting paid for it, can't beat that for work. Temps 108-113, piece of cake keeps the termites in their holes especially human termites.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

flounderman
08-30-2010, 08:11 AM
you don't see any westerns made anymore. I have wondered if they helped shape the character of the generations that watched them and because they got away from making them and started making what passes for entertainment today, if that hasn't led to the moral decline that is so prevelent today. I would like to have the choice of watching a show like gunsmoke or not watching it, instead of the liberal minority deciding I can not watch it because it doesn't agtree with their liberal values.

cajun shooter
08-30-2010, 08:43 AM
Branded was done by the Rifleman Chuck Connors and What about Yancy Derringer and his Indian sidekick who were out of New Orleans, La.

deltaenterprizes
08-30-2010, 10:07 AM
On Encore Westerns a lot of these shows are on all day long!

AZ-Stew
08-30-2010, 03:57 PM
Man I got pictures of me and my brother back in 57 with double silver guns, hat, chaps, and sneakers high tops. I was bad to the bone with plastic bullets all over my body.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Stephen,

If you have those photos, please get them scanned and add them to this post: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=86917

I was trying to get our members to post their old photos. A couple of folks seemed to resent the whole idea and complained that they were too poor to have such equipment. That wasn't the point of the post. The idea was to show what it was like in my (and others) youth, not to brag that my family lived above the poverty level.

Anyway, if you or other readers have pics of themselves in their kid-cowboy outfits, please get them scanned and post them.

Regards,

Stew

rhead
08-30-2010, 05:57 PM
That new fangled TV stuff will never catch on.

Have gun Will Travel was on the Radio for two years before it came on TV. Gene Shatner (Star Trek) was one of the staff writers.

Gunsmoke was on radio for several years also. 1949-1960

http://www.archive.org/details/HaveGunWillTravel_OldTimeRadio

http://www.archive.org/details/GUNSMOKE01

http://www.archive.org/details/TalesOfTheTexasRangers

Most of the other shows mentioned are also availible.

Is Joel McCrea the only one who made the transfer to TV playing the same character?

These can be downloaded as MP3 files and are free.

SamTexas49
08-30-2010, 06:48 PM
Ok, Ill up the antie on this back in early 50's I had my recordplayer and the "Lone Ranger" record/ photo book and the "Hopalong Cassidy" record/book. You would turn pages when ever the horse winnied.

izzyjoe
08-30-2010, 06:52 PM
i think joel mcrea and randolph scott were the two best western stars to be had in the day. i got burned out on the duke early on in life that's all my dad would watch. but i think the cowboys was his best flic. the shootist would be 2nd. my grandad loved gunsmoke. he said he listened to it on the radio before tv. he used to tell me about the old stars like tom mix, lash larue, and randolf scott. but i still love old western shows were the good guys win, the bad guys die or go to jail. that's the way it should be. my hero's have always been cowboys looks like they still are it seems!!! my favorite western is tom horn, i guess cause it a true story, and mcqueen is the king of cool.

bandit7.5
08-30-2010, 10:15 PM
Yep, good stuff. Also "Branded", Steve McQueen I think? Wrongfully accused of desertion.

Theme song lyrics as sung by neighborhood kids:

Stranded, stuck on the toilet boooooowl,
What do you do when you're stranded,
and you don't have a roll?
:takinWiz::takinWiz::
etc....

Not Steve McQueen , Chuck Conners.:redneck:

a.squibload
08-31-2010, 03:37 AM
Thanks, my memory, like our reception back then, is a little fuzzy!

rhead
08-31-2010, 05:27 AM
Thanks, my memory, like our reception back then, is a little fuzzy!

That is one problem that you ain't gonna outgrow.[smilie=1:

Bret4207
08-31-2010, 07:39 AM
That new fangled TV stuff will never catch on.

Have gun Will Travel was on the Radio for two years before it came on TV. Gene Shatner (Star Trek) was one of the staff writers.

Gunsmoke was on radio for several years also. 1949-1960

http://www.archive.org/details/HaveGunWillTravel_OldTimeRadio

http://www.archive.org/details/GUNSMOKE01

http://www.archive.org/details/TalesOfTheTexasRangers

Most of the other shows mentioned are also availible.

Is Joel McCrea the only one who made the transfer to TV playing the same character?

These can be downloaded as MP3 files and are free.

Gene Roddenbery was the writer, William Shatner was Capt Kirk.

I really like Radolph Scott, Joel Mcrea, Glenn Ford, some of the lesser knowns. If you watch enough of them you see the same faces over 40 plus years. Guys like Glenn Strange (Sam the bartender from Gunsmoke), Ken Curtis (Festus from Gunsmoke, John Fords son in law), the little guy with the Scandenoovian accent Lars Nordquist, Hank Worden (who played Deacon clump in the Horse Soldiers and decades later was the old guy running the trailer park in Clint Eastwoods "Every which way but loose), Richard Farnsworth (later won an award IIRC for The Grey Fox). The stock actors give me sense of familiarity. I like it.

In addition to the westerns I like stuff like "The Fugitve", "Run for your Life", "Route 66" and of course "Andy Griffith". Good shows.

Lloyd Smale
08-31-2010, 07:51 AM
My dad and i had tradition when i was young. We never missed wagon train, bonanza and Rat Patrol.

cajun shooter
08-31-2010, 08:22 AM
All of this is the reason that for most months I strap on my 2 USFA's and pick my 1873 all in 44-40. I grab the two shotguns with one being the lever action 1887 and the other the 1878 Colt again both in 12 ga. I adhere to the laws of the west and practice being a good cowboy by filling those 44-40's with as much BP as I can before seating the bullet. When I pull the trigger it appears that brimstone has arrived with the smoke and fire coming from the barrels. I do this 3 times most months and hope the Good Lord allows me more time to play before my time comes.

Dframe
08-31-2010, 03:40 PM
Grew up watching all of them. Add Colt 45 and my favorite, Maverick

Bret4207
08-31-2010, 06:34 PM
Grew up watching all of them. Add Colt 45 and my favorite, Maverick

My Mom named me after James Garners character. I guess she was hoping I'd grow up to look like him. Instead, she got Wilford Brimley, or maybe a thinner Homer Simpson......

rhead
08-31-2010, 07:03 PM
Gene Roddenbery was the writer, William Shatner was Capt Kirk.

I really like Radolph Scott, Joel Mcrea, Glenn Ford, some of the lesser knowns. If you watch enough of them you see the same faces over 40 plus years. Guys like Glenn Strange (Sam the bartender from Gunsmoke), Ken Curtis (Festus from Gunsmoke, John Fords son in law), the little guy with the Scandenoovian accent Lars Nordquist, Hank Worden (who played Deacon clump in the Horse Soldiers and decades later was the old guy running the trailer park in Clint Eastwoods "Every which way but loose), Richard Farnsworth (later won an award IIRC for The Grey Fox). The stock actors give me sense of familiarity. I like it.

In addition to the westerns I like stuff like "The Fugitve", "Run for your Life", "Route 66" and of course "Andy Griffith". Good shows.

Thanks Bret: I have no Idea who Gene Shatner was. May exist only in my time fogged brain!!!!! Gene Roddenberry was a writer for Have Gun Will Travel.

Mal Paso
09-01-2010, 12:04 AM
As it turned out one of my neighbors Jack Curtis, wrote a bunch of them:
1 episode(s) Nichols
3 Cimarron Strip
3 Big Valley
1 Virginan
2 Rawhide
1 Wagon Train
1 Gunsmoke
5 Rifleman
3 Have Gun - Will Travel
2 Outlaws
1 The Rebel
2 The Westerner
1 Zane Grey Theatre
He celebrated his birthday on the 4th of July and invited us all. It got totally out of hand over the the years, becoming part of the book "Eagles over Big Sur". It was shut down for a couple years, too many crashers. I went to his last Big Sur party. Shared some of his homemade plum "brandy" over the kitchen table. I say "brandy" but it was about 190 proof.
He was real, went to jail once rather than pay a fine for shooting a mountain lion that killed his dogs and stock. He passed in 2002.