PDA

View Full Version : Poor RCBS LAM2 results and the solution

prickett
08-25-2010, 11:05 PM
I'm trying to adjust my new RCBS LAM2 and am so far having no luck. When I size and lube, I get lube squirting up onto the bullet's ogive (picture 1). I'd think this is because I'm pushing my bullet too deep into the sizing die. But, I've adjusted the press to it's absolute minimum depth (picture 2). Also, I noticed that the crimp groove immediately flows into the start of the ogive, so, if the seating depth isn't PERFECT, the squirted lube will happen. The bullet is a Lee 452-200-RF.

There is a gap between the nut that holds the sizing die in (die is a Lyman .452"). Is that normal (picture 3)?

Another problem is that the size and lubed bullet is about 50% exposed at the end of the upstroke. Is that normal (picture 4)?

9.3X62AL
08-25-2010, 11:29 PM
That Lyman die might be slightly overlength. Do you have other dies that allow the retaining nut to be screwed down completely? That is the ideal situation, but isn't an absolute necessity--as long there is sufficient thread engagement to guard against strip-out in service.

You can try a small spacer centered on the head of the ejector pin's T-head to push the die's center pin up higher. I use a spent primer for this application, and they last for 50-75 boolits before collapsing/crushing.

cheese1566
08-26-2010, 12:57 AM
Unscrew the adjusting stem and turn it upside down-so the knurled sections are on top of the casting. This will give you a little more upward adjustment for short bullets.

I believe the die nut has a gap, at least my RCBS LAM 1 does, and others have spoke about it in the past. I worried about leakage there so I put a fat O-ring on it. It rotted off and I found it didn't leak anyway. Just be sure to remember the gap and not try to screw down all the way. Snug is fine.

Mk42gunner
08-26-2010, 01:05 AM
I've got a .258" Lyman die in my RCBS LAM right now. It has the same gap as your third picture. I have found that adjusting the insertion depth, while still getting the lube groove filled can be quite a balancing act sometimes, and the instructions aren't any too clear on how to do it.

One of the ways I came up with to stop lubing the ogive excessively is to not run as much pressure on the lube resevoir. I use a screwdriver handle instead of a ratchet on my pressure screw, and with difficult boolits I usually give it a slight twist every other boolit or so.

Hope this helps,

Robert

shootinxd
08-26-2010, 07:13 AM
Thanks Cheese,I thought I was doing something wrong.Your idea worked.

prickett
08-26-2010, 09:07 PM
Unscrew the adjusting stem and turn it upside down-so the knurled sections are on top of the casting. This will give you a little more upward adjustment for short bullets.

I believe the die nut has a gap, at least my RCBS LAM 1 does, and others have spoke about it in the past. I worried about leakage there so I put a fat O-ring on it. It rotted off and I found it didn't leak anyway. Just be sure to remember the gap and not try to screw down all the way. Snug is fine.

Excellent suggestion Cheese!!!! Worked like a charm. My results are 100% better.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Dale53
08-27-2010, 09:07 AM
Looking at this thread brought to mind how much MORE helpful it is to have good pictures as the OP has done. That made diagnosis and cure available - don't believe it would have happened without the excellent pictures.

FWIW
Dale53

Maven
08-27-2010, 11:53 AM
Excellent suggestions, and as Dale suggested, the pics really are worth 1,000 words!

prickett
08-27-2010, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the kind words in addition to the brilliant suggestions/tips!!!!!

semtav
08-27-2010, 10:54 PM
Altho not directly related, I've been having problems with some bullets not wanting to lube the grooves, but try to push the bullet up.
reading this post and reversing the rod made me realize all I needed to do was get the bullet down far enough to line up the grooves with thesizer holes.

whitetailsniper
08-27-2010, 11:50 PM
cheese 1566 is absolutly correct, i have the same press,the same mold,and i did the same as he suggested,worked like a charme for me.

cheese1566
08-28-2010, 08:07 AM
Thanks guys!

I don't do extensive rifle, but have found it serves all my needs. I can do short pistol bullets up to my Lee 30 cal 160 grainers with room to spare. Plus it is easier to get at on top of the casting.

45nut
08-28-2010, 11:55 AM
just added this ,, a perfect example of worthy of classic and sticky content.

khamill2000
08-28-2010, 12:13 PM
I had a similar problem with my LAM2 that had a different solution. I adjusted the rod all that I could and was still lubing the crimp groove. The problem ended up being the Lyman sizing die. The lyman dies have an additional set of lube holes higher up in the die than my RCBS dies. I switched out to an RCBS die for that boolit and the problem was solved.

noylj
09-23-2010, 07:35 PM
I may be wrong, but the picture looks like you are trying to use a crimp groove as a lube groove. Suggest you just lubricate the bottom groove.

MGySgt
09-24-2010, 08:34 PM
FWIW

For those that change sizer dies a lot (like me).

Check the boolit against the size die to see where the lube grooves line up with the lube holes in the side of the die. Adjust the depth to there before you even put any pressure on the lube.

You first depth adjustment will be a lot closer to the correct depth.

firefly1957
09-26-2010, 09:07 AM
I might be wrong but it looks like that bullet has not been sized ?
I suspect the bullet is smaller than sizing die which will allow lube to flow around bullet and out the top of sizer as shown. A bullet that is sized usually has nice shiny areas were sized this bullet looks as cast yet.

bearcove
09-26-2010, 10:04 PM
that was my thought.

strangwn
09-28-2010, 10:22 AM
I just had the same kind of problem with a short 358242 boolit, but solved the problem by just removing the locknut from the adjusting screw. I think that is a simpler and quicker fix and it is easy to reverse. I was concerned about not having the adjusting screw locked down, but it didn't seem to move any while I finished the lot of boolits.

MGySgt
09-28-2010, 11:17 AM
Strangwn - what ever works for you.

I have 2 LAM's one has the lock nut on the bottom for longer (rifle type boolits) and the other one has it on top for pistol.

Had to do the same thing to my lyman 4500's too for the same reason.