PDA

View Full Version : Anyone loading 45 ACP brass with small primers?

starreloader
08-27-2010, 11:13 PM
Need a few suggestions on what type of small primer I need to use, standard small pistol, magnum small pistol or those lead-free primers that are now available... I will be using HP38/231 powder and 200 gr. SWC.

Got a gift tonight of a 125lbs of once fired Federal 45 ACP brass... The only problem I have with it is the brass was loaded with a small primer and then crimped in... ( and I'm not looking to sell any of this brass )

I'm not new to loading or working up loads, been doing that for 40 years and I'm sure I would be able to figure this out myself... but it is 11pm here and I didn't get this brass until an hour ago and I feel like loading a little tonight.... Just looking for some guidance.

keebo52
08-27-2010, 11:33 PM
I use regular small pistol of whatever brand I have (currently Wolf) and I can tell no difference from the LP in 200 gr. SWC loads using Unique powder. Just keep them separated so you don't run into priming problems.

starreloader
08-27-2010, 11:42 PM
keebo52, Thanks... kind of figured that there wasn't any real difference... as for the Wolf primers, that is all I've used for the last 2 years, never had a problem with them in any loadings.... No problem with keeping this brass separated.. all of my other 45 brass is nickel.

whitetailsniper
08-27-2010, 11:44 PM
ive only used large pistol primers for my 45 acp ,never tried small primers,,i use in speer brass, with a lyman 180 grain hp devistator mold,over 7.5 grain unique.. my go to load.very accurate,and agreeable recoil. with a col. of 1.246 sized to .452. keebo 52 how long have you been using small primers in a large pistol.?? you can tell no differance??

chris in va
08-28-2010, 12:24 AM
how long have you been using small primers in a large pistol.?? you can tell no differance??

A few types of 45acp brass use small pistol primers. The pocket is smaller than standard stuff. Next time you see a CCI Blazer aluminum shell, pick it up and you'll see.

Russ in WY
08-28-2010, 12:31 AM
The Big pain is getting rid of the Crimp. I have loaded some but not taken them to the range yet.. When swaging out the crimp with the Dillon tool there is so much metal around the flash hole that it partially closes / restricts the flash hole . Want watch that. My 2¢... Russ.

flinchnjerk
08-28-2010, 01:34 AM
Win. NT and Speer NT handle a SPP fine, but I found that with the Fed. hulls that giving the primer pocket a light chamfer with a deburring tool was required or most primers would "catch" and crush when I attempted to seat them.

Grapeshot
08-28-2010, 10:58 AM
I bought 50 rounds of Federal .45 ACP ammo several months ago and when I went to reload them I found that not only do they have a small primer pocket, but the flash hole is also larger than the normal large pocket found in most other makes.