PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Lyman "Big Dipper" pot

Alaskan100
08-26-2010, 02:37 PM
Hello All,
I am looking at picking up my first pot. Since I am only casting Muzzleloader boolits for myself, I am estimating well under 1000 per year. So I figure pour by hand. But I am looking for a pot that is a bit wider, so it will be easier to get the dipper in. Is the Lyman "Big Dipper" a good pot, or is there some other pot that would be better? I already have a smelter set up. A Turkey fryer burner and a Stainless steel pot. I dont want to cast out of the smelter set up, for safety reasons. Which is the reason for the smaller electric pot.

Thanks for the help
Alaskan

Changeling
08-26-2010, 04:37 PM
I just purchased a Waage pot (22lb) that was designed for Ladle casters, it's currently going for $170.00 delivered and will get a price increase in September. I posted about it.

Do a search on "Waage" , hope it works, the search function , not the Waage pot, LOL.

cuzinbruce
08-26-2010, 08:19 PM
I have never used the BigDipper. I do have a MagDipper that I bought on eBay a couple years ago. Paid $85 for a new one, not the $375 list I see at Lyman's. BigDipper looks a lot like a Lee, if I am not mistaken. But to get started, the Lyman, or even the Lee would probably be fine. Get a good dipper, Lyman or RCBS. If you are casting big bullets, like Minie balls, a dipper will probably work better than a bottom pour. At least it does for me. Good Luck and have fun. Any questions, just post them.

doghawg
08-26-2010, 10:13 PM
I got a "big dipper" from Mid-South when they first became available. It's not a complete waste.........I use it for dumping sprues and rejects into and as a feeder pot to keep a good pot stoked with melted alloy. Maybe the rest of them are ok but mine struggles to get over 700 degrees. If you want an economical ladle pot I'd suggest a Lee "Magnum Melter" that Midway has on sale right now. At least it's made in America.....the "big dipper" is made in china.

I too just ordered a Waage pot and while I can't comment on the pot yet they are certainly the nicest people I've ever dealt with on the phone. It was Marc Waage himself that took my order....he even gave me some casting advice!

Alaskan100
08-31-2010, 08:33 PM
Hello All,
I wanted to take a moment to thak you folks for your advice. I just ordered a waage pot. I figured I would order it before the price increase.

Thanks Again
Alaskan