PDA

View Full Version : Another Newbie

Six Shooter Steve
08-25-2010, 08:08 PM
Hey guys, new to the forum here. I am interested in starting up casting and was refered to your site for info. I am in the process of getting the necessary eqiptment to start up and am in the process of reading the sticky's to gain some knowledge. I am planning on casting mostly for my Ruger 480 but will also cast for 38/357. I am sure I will have to ask some newbie questions in the near future and hope ya'll will be gentle with me [smilie=l: Thanks for the great site

44Magnum
08-25-2010, 08:14 PM
Welcome!

sagacious
08-25-2010, 08:27 PM
Sounds good-- welcome!

qajaq59
08-26-2010, 07:18 AM
Welcome to the forum.
And casting your own is a smart move. It's cheaper and you'll always have plenty of bullets around.

dragonrider
08-26-2010, 08:57 AM
Welcome Steve, glad you found your way here.

Down South
08-26-2010, 09:07 AM
Welcome aboard.

bobthenailer
08-26-2010, 09:13 AM
welcome ! the only question you dont ask is the stupid question . you will get a lot of good advice from this fourm ! everyone is very helpfull. bob

stubert
08-26-2010, 11:22 AM
May I suggest the Lyman cast bullet manual, If you're just starting it is almost required reading. The new #4 is due out this fall, the #3 has a ton of good info though and is worth getting also.

mdi
08-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Welcome! And may I suggest you remember K.I.S.S. Don't get too complicated at first and go easy on yourself. Casting yer own is great fun and very rewarding!

+1 on the Lyman Cast bullet Handbook.

:castmine:

Mk42gunner
08-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Welcome! And may I suggest you remember K.I.S.S. Don't get too complicated at first and go easy on yourself. Casting yer own is great fun and very rewarding!

+1 on the Lyman Cast bullet Handbook.

:castmine:

+1 on the K.I.S.S. principle. Get you some wheelweights and cast a few bullets. If they don't come out looking good, remelt them. I would not add anything to the alloy until you start to understand how things work.

I cast primarily with air cooled wheel weights, I find that don't have to add tin to get good boolit fillout.

Simple works, within reason.

Remember, casting is a skill, and can be learned.

Good Luck,

Robert

Echo
08-26-2010, 12:48 PM
Welcome, S Cubed! +1 for KISS - As you grow in your experience you will probably want to move to somewhat more expensive/complex equipment. And I'm really not talking about COMPLEX - I'm talking about moving from 2-cavity to 4-6-cavity molds, and moving from Lee sizers to RCBS/Lyman lube/sizers. While it is possible to cast perfect boolits with scratch equipment, it is easier and faster to cast perfect boolits with equipment a step or two above kitchen-table level, as you will learn.

tward
08-26-2010, 05:14 PM
welcome aboard, I've only been here a year and the amount of knowledge collected here is amazing!
Tim:-D

Cowboy T
08-26-2010, 08:20 PM
Casting is so easy, even a liberal like me can do it. :D

Seriously, though, it is fun, it will save you money, and it's one step in making your loads better. There are a lot of videos out there showing how to do it, both on YouTube and elsewhere. I suggest taking some time and watching some of them.

Cast boolits are also said to be easier on your barrel. I don't know about that, because I haven't been shooting for quite that many years, but I've heard it from several long-time shooters. And like with ammo itself, you don't have to worry about depending on the bullet manufacturers. You can make your own.

Six Shooter Steve
08-27-2010, 05:54 AM
Thanks for all the welcomes! I plan on hitting up my private range this weekend to do some lead scrounging. They shoot alot of cowboy action there so there is alot of bullet washers as I call them laying around the shooting steel. Also plan on mining the burms for some bullets. Hopefully I can get a bit of lead over the next few weeks as I assemble my components list.

geargnasher
08-27-2010, 03:45 PM
Are you new to reloading, too, or just casting?

Gear

jmsj
08-27-2010, 07:39 PM
SS Steve,
Welcome to the best website around, great buncch of guys here.
On top of the Lyman book , look up www.lasc.us
There is a lot of really good information on lead, alloys, fluxing and other information.
jmsj

XWrench3
08-27-2010, 08:10 PM
Welcome, ask away, there are only 2 dumb questions. 1) is one that isn't asked. and 2) one which you already KNOW the answer to. you will be hard pressed to find a better place than this for casting information. and pretty much anything to do with shooting. these guys helped (and still do) a bunch. and all of us will be more than happy to share whatever tricks we have (at least the ones reguading cast boolits, LOL!). one of the most important things you will need to find right away is a source for lead!

littlejack
08-27-2010, 09:39 PM
SSSteve, Welcome to the CastBoolits.
Jack

Charlie Two Tracks
08-27-2010, 09:58 PM
Welcome to the forum Steve. I don't know if I would have been able to cast if not for this forum. These guys are very helpful and can keep you from serious injury if their advice is heeded. I didn't know there was such a thing as a Tisnel Fairy. Don't want to meet up with that one.

Six Shooter Steve
08-27-2010, 10:02 PM
Are you new to reloading, too, or just casting?

Gear
Nope just new to the casting part, I have been reloading for some time now and couldn't go back to factory ammo!

Tom W.
08-27-2010, 10:07 PM
:bigsmyl2: Welcome. Most of the folk here know enough to share, :castmine:

and one individual will even sell you some extra loob grooves at a reasonable price....:holysheep