PDA

View Full Version : Red River

stephen perry
08-24-2010, 11:52 PM
There are only 3 Westerns I will watch all the way through no matter what time they come on, Winchester 73 and The Searchers are the other 2. I have 100's of recorded Westerns but these 3 are my best. I have 300 hundred+ recorded Bonanza's, several hundred Gunsmokes, and a hundred or so Big Valley's along with many Palladin's. As I write this Red River is playing. There aren't too many Westerns I haven't watched, bought, or recorded.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Firebricker
08-25-2010, 12:16 AM
The Searchers is also one of my favorites but The Outlaw Josey Wales is the one that if a catch a glipse of I might as well sit down because all wind up watching it all. FB

Buckshot
08-25-2010, 01:37 AM
.............I have to say that "Fort Apache" and "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" are my 2 favorite westerns.

..............Buckshot

Von Gruff
08-25-2010, 05:16 AM
I have a stack of the as well but The outlaw Jose Wales is right up there. But then there is Pale Rider and Unforgiven and Quigley down under, Last stand at Saber River and, and, and,.........

Von Gruff.

Piedmont
08-25-2010, 08:01 AM
Sergio Leone's masterpiece Once Upon a Time in the West. Unforgiven. Josey Wales. Valdez is Coming.

uncle joe
08-25-2010, 08:07 AM
I believe The Unforgiven is the closest to how it really was back in the day for most folks.

Charlie Sometimes
08-25-2010, 08:17 AM
The Outlaw Josey Wales; The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly; Tombstone; Unforgiven- I like lot of others too, but these are show stoppers for anything else, most of the time. [smilie=w:

Kinda funny, I own these and many others, and can play them any time I want, but let them come on TV and I'm glued to it! :veryconfu

1Shirt
08-25-2010, 10:35 AM
How anyone can not like a John Wayne western is beyond me! It is durn near un-American!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

skeet1
08-25-2010, 06:08 PM
I know it is not a western but my favorite John Wayne movie is "The Quiet Man".

Skeet1

fishnbob
08-25-2010, 06:24 PM
Ditto Charlie Sometimes, Ditto!!!

GOPHER SLAYER
08-25-2010, 06:26 PM
I was stationed on North Island back in 1953 . One day a friend asked if I wanted to go to a movie on base? I asked if he had tickets, they only cost 12cents but you had to stand in line to get one. He had plenty so off we went. I didn't know what was playing but was I blown away by the movie I saw. It was the western , Shane. I still think it is one of the best ever. I heard Robert Osborne say on Turner Classic Movies that after Paramount Studios made the film they thought so little of it that they left it on the shelf for two years. I think it showed the early west as it was, muddy street, in fact only street and all.

docone31
08-25-2010, 06:36 PM
My wife's cousin did the stunt work for Shane for the little guy. My wife's father did camera work on the set. I think his name is Patrick. Long time ago.
My favourite western was
Blazing Saddles!!
Shows how rough the west really was.
I like Slim Pickens.

GOPHER SLAYER
08-25-2010, 06:42 PM
I was stationed on North Island back in 1953 . One day a friend asked if I wanted to go to a movie on base? I asked if he had tickets, they only cost 12cents but you had to stand in line to get one. He had plenty, so off we went. I didn't know what was playing but was I blown away by the movie I saw. It was the western , Shane. I still think it is one of the best ever. I heard Robert Osborne say on Turner Classic Movies that after Paramount Studios made the film they thought so little of it that they left it on the shelf for two years. I think it showed the early west as it was, muddy street and all, in fact only street . I saw Warren Baetty on TV several years ago talking about the movie he made called Bonnie and Clyde. He said when he produced the sound track he wanted the gunfire to sound like it did in the movie Shane. He went on to say he took the movie to Europe to increase interest. He said he was watching the film in a theater in London and he thought the sound track was failing. He ran up to the projection room and told the operator something was wrong and the man replied, yeah the sound was so bad I turned it down. I haven't heard a sound track so bad since the movie Shane.

waksupi
08-25-2010, 06:59 PM
I know it is not a western but my favorite John Wayne movie is "The Quiet Man".

Skeet1

The Quiet Man, and North To Alaska probably had some of the best fight scenes.

376Steyr
08-25-2010, 07:10 PM
In the "closer to how it really was" camp, I like "The Long Riders" with the Keach, Carradine, and Quaid brothers doing the Jesse James story.

MT Gianni
08-25-2010, 08:13 PM
Rio Bravo does it for me even with Little Ricky Nelson singing. It describes a community of folks who act together and a group that sit and do nothing but be intimidated.

stephen perry
08-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Shane is a keeper. Best fights I have seen in a Western. But they all fight or it wouldn't be a Western. My favorite Western actor is Robert Mitchum. John Wayne is a close second. But Alan Ladd is always good.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Charlie Sometimes
08-25-2010, 08:52 PM
Now, for fight scenes, watch McClintock! :lol:

Anybody who don't like John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, or a good western ought to be "pushin' up daisies"! You're a daisy if you don't! :grin: I'm you're huckleberry for a good western flick! :bigsmyl2:

MtGun44
08-25-2010, 08:54 PM
Open Range is one of the best of the current crop. Quigley, of course, is great.

Bill

SmuvBoGa
08-25-2010, 08:57 PM
Valdez Is Coming is great - you just don't know what you going to find when you pi$$ off someone. [smilie=1: :drinks:

Mal Paso
08-25-2010, 09:23 PM
Dean Martin:[incredulous] You robbed a bank? You, Mace?

Jimmy Stewart:Well, Dee, the bank was there... and I was there... and there wasn't very much of anybody else there... and it just seemed like the thing to do.

smoked turkey
08-25-2010, 11:44 PM
I don't watch much in the way of old westerns, but I do enjoy almost all of John Wayne's stuff. The Sons of Katy Elder was a good one.
I also like Man From Snowy River.

.45Cole
08-26-2010, 12:11 AM
Mal Paso-Water Hole 13 or 9 right. Good flick. I think as said before that Open range is probably very factual. Favs and only one of them mentioned..I'm surprised
1. High Noon (Gary Cooper-you know it's good when they made a remake)
Fastest Gun Alive, Shane, Mississippi Gambler, Big Country, The Gunfighter.
Watch them they arrrrrr grrrrreat

dualsport
08-26-2010, 12:19 AM
The Professionals. Wild Bunch. Jeremia Johnson with Robert Redford ruined me, had to have a capote.

nicholst55
08-26-2010, 12:24 AM
While not a 'true' western, The Wild Bunch is still a classic! Who can forget the gunfight at the beginning of the movie, with the railroad's hired guns blasting away at anyone who moved?

Horace
08-26-2010, 08:48 AM
John Wayne`s "The Big Trail" from 1930 very good

Horace

Char-Gar
08-26-2010, 11:27 AM
The Searchers is far and away my favorite. It was Wayne's favorite as well and he thought it to be his best work. I saw it as the Majestic Theater in Brownsville when it was released. I was so taken with it, I sat through it three times. In those days there was only one screen and for the price of admission you could stay as long as you wanted. I got in a little hot water when I got home as I didn't call the folks and tell them I would be late. I was just mesmerized by the flick..I still am.

HORNET
08-26-2010, 07:51 PM
McClintock, Water Hole #3, The Villain, Evil Roy Slade...Good stuff but hard to find at times. The James Garner Maverick shows were good as were Support Your Local Sheriff/ Support Your Local Gunfighter. Jeremiah Johnson and The Mountain Men were good but a little off as to time period...

EDK
08-26-2010, 10:03 PM
Appaloosa is the best current western I've seen in a long time. A "buddy movie" like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid...I liked it so much I bought the book and the three that followed. Ed Harris's politics aren't to my taste, but he is a great actor....AND he didn't take too many liberties with the book in making the movie.

Ride With The Devil is an excellent portrayal of "the war of northern aggression" here in Missouri. My historical research verifies some scenes in the movie. My family had people on both sides.

STARZ Western channel has Have Gun, Will Travel on week nights at 5:30 locally. It is a good way to relax after work.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

stephen perry
08-27-2010, 12:12 AM
Without a doubt the funniest Western I have ever seen is 'The Frisco Kid' with Gene Wilder and Harrison Ford, especially the dance.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

casterofboolits
08-27-2010, 08:00 AM
'Big Jake' is my favorite Wayne movie with 'The Quiet Man' as number two.

stephen perry
08-27-2010, 08:42 AM
Watching 'Dodge City' with Erroll Fynn can't ask for much more in a Western. Big Jake and El Dorado are always good. Got most every major John Wayne made and allot of his B's. 'Open Range', 'Quigley', and 'Sacketts' aren't bad for the current crop. The Gunsmoke continuations are good also.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

82nd airborne
08-27-2010, 11:30 AM
no one likes "Young Guns" ?! Eldarado is probably my favorite with Big Jake right behind it.

stephen perry
08-29-2010, 01:32 AM
Just finished watching 'The Horse Soldiers' with John Wayne. Forgot how much I've watched seeing that movie for the many times.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Charley
08-29-2010, 04:14 PM
Ride the High Country.

References to shot loads in revolvers, shootouts featuring one of WSL rifles (can't tell which model), an 1895 Winchester, and if you look closely Randolph Scott is carrying an 1890 Remington at one point. Nice to see something besides the standard Colt SAA and 1892 Winchesters.

HORNET
08-31-2010, 07:07 PM
I can understand nobody mentioning "Silverado" (although I liked it), but nobody mentioned "The Magnificent Seven" (the original, not the remake) which had the great Steve McQueen line "We deal in lead, friend" which is just SO appropriate for this site.....

izzyjoe
08-31-2010, 07:58 PM
fire creek is my fav. jimmy stewart movie. he plays a wimpy sheraff, but he let's 'em have it at the end. and i could watch open range everyday and never get tired of it. don't think anybody's said lonesome dove,all the of series. tommy lee jones is awsome in,The missing. they don't make many good westerns anymore!!:Fire:

9.3X62AL
08-31-2010, 08:36 PM
"The Outlaw Josey Wales" is my all-time favorite Western, but "Open Range" is a pretty close second.

I greatly enjoy all of John Wayne's films, Western or otherwise. I recall vividly the somber mood around my agency's station on the day John Wayne passed away. It was not unlike we had lost a deputy.

Mal Paso
09-03-2010, 04:33 PM
After I got off the computer the other night, I turned the TV to Turner Classic Movies and caught the last 2/3 of an excellent documentary "The Eastwood Factor". I was 8 years old when Rawhide came to TV and thought Rowdy Yates was very cool. Over the years I've enjoyed most every movie Clint Eastwood has made and if you can't tell I'm a big fan. Not so much for any one movie but more for his honesty in portraying life as he found it. I've never gotten an autograph in my life but I've always wanted to know who this guy was. The first time I saw him I was having my birthday dinner at Mission Ranch and he stopped by for a beer. I was too shy to say hello and is that really him? I think he's the only actor that's taller in real life. Most everyone that's been lived in Carmel for a while has some story of seeing him in Safeway or around town. I don't know how he does it but there is never an entourage, just Clint and maybe his wife. I have done the Hokey PoKey with Clint Eastwood. It's fun not to explain and let people wonder but it was the Father/Daughter Dance at Carmel Middle School. He was also there for graduation. If living well is the best revenge Clint Eastwood is an Artist. Life's too damn short for Bull.

Hickory
09-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Valdez Is Coming is great - you just don't know what you going to find when you pi$$ off someone. [smilie=1: :drinks:

I have mentioned this movie to a lot of people who watch western and almost without exception the say "I never herd of it" It was one of those sleepers like "Shout at the Devil" that Lee Marvin starred in.

Blammer
09-03-2010, 08:07 PM
Blazing Saddles is my favorite one. :)