PDA

View Full Version : Old Style Bore Lights

NVcurmudgeon
08-24-2010, 10:13 PM
All the bore lights that I can find seem to have a little tiny bulb that is mostly glare, and two batteries that look like those in cameras or watches. Do any of you know where the old style kind that had one AA or AAA battery, a rubber from a distributor cap, and a bent piece of glear plastic tubing can be found? I can remember that one could see whether a barrel was good or not, something that can't be done with the new style.

jcwit
08-24-2010, 10:21 PM
Shop > You are here: Hoppe's Bore Light

__USERID__
http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/228317/submission.htm?bvpage=reviews.htm&action=AddReview &format=embedded&user=__USERID__&return=http%3A%2F %2Fwww.cabelas.com%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Ftemplates%2Fpr oduct%2Fstandard-item.jsp%3Fid%3D0044106228317a%26_requestid%3D3652 46
Overall Customer Rating:
3 out of 5

Read all reviews Write a review Share this Product:

Read Reviews(22) | Write a Review
Have you used this product?

Be the first to write a review!
Product Reviews

Lights up the bore of virtually any firearm
A must-have item for used gun buyers
Uses two AAA batteries

Illuminates the bore fully so you can see pitting, fouling or scratches. Ideal to take along if you're buying a used firearm. Uses two AAA batteries.
Made in USA.

Well the picture didn't come thru but it iswhat you're looking for I believe.

jcwit
08-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Sponsored links

Hoppes BRL1 Bore Light - Bore Sighting$5.99 - Cabela's

Still can't get a picture. Just google Bore Light, it'll come up.

Le Loup Solitaire
08-24-2010, 11:54 PM
Those were good items and did a good job. There were also just curved sections of the same plastic that was used in those borelights; they had a ball-point pen style clip for your shirt pocket. No batteries. You put the bent tube of plastic in the chamber....aimed the muzzle at the sun or a light source and saw everything that you needed to see. There was also the GI contraption with a little mirror inside that was set at a 45 degree angle. That worked pretty well too. LLS

NVcurmudgeon
08-25-2010, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the quick answers, I'm on my way.

wistlepig1
08-25-2010, 12:16 AM
Here
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0044106228317a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=hoppes+bore+lite&Ntk=Product_liberal&sort=all&Go.y=5&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&Go.x=19&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1

cajun shooter
08-25-2010, 09:47 PM
Brownell's has the very light you described. The main body is black with the light wire a bright red and it is both big and heavy duty. However CED sells one that has a long flexiable light that works great.

leftiye
08-25-2010, 10:22 PM
I just bought four Pelican mity lites - the ones with the plastic bent thingie and the spark plug boot that you described - on eVil bAY. They're out of production, but Pelican makes some other models now that are nearly identical.

Mk42gunner
08-26-2010, 12:25 AM
There are usually a couple of tables that have them at most gun shows for a buck or two. You may have to provide your own miniture flashlight.

Robert

DCP
08-26-2010, 07:40 AM
I have the newer model Pelican and it works great. My old one broke and Pelican
sent me a new one for free

I just bought four Pelican mity lites - the ones with the plastic bent thingie and the spark plug boot that you described - on eVil bAY. They're out of production, but Pelican makes some other models now that are nearly identical.

blackthorn
08-26-2010, 09:10 AM
I have both the battery and non-battery (bent stick thingy) that I got years ago. Both still work fine and the non-battery bent stick is real handy to carry in my pocket when I go to gun stores or shows. It seems to me that way back on the old "Shooters" board there were directions for making your own non-battery bent stick. IIRC the trick was in getting a very high polish on the ends to convey the light.

scrapcan
08-26-2010, 10:49 AM
http://www.pelicanproducts.us/p.Pelican.MityLite.Mini.System.Kit.1950.html

is this the kit you guysa re talking about form Pelican?

DCP
08-26-2010, 11:02 AM
That would be it

The mini-system kit includes two 'AAA' batteries, extra o-ring, extra lamp, 90° light-bender, spilt-ring, red and blue night vision disk; The set is packaged in a reusable plastic box with molded plush velvet liner.

I didnt get the spilt-ring, red and blue night vision disk :cry:
But it was free [smilie=w: They have a lifetime guarantee

http://www.pelicanproducts.us/p.Pelican.MityLite.Mini.System.Kit.1950.html

is this the kit you guysa re talking about form Pelican?

leftiye
08-27-2010, 09:16 PM
And yes, you can order direct from Pelican products. I got four extra lamp modules this morning.

The original Mity Lite is actually still being made. Only now it is the Pelican 1900 light. All of the parts interchange, but the new light has a bigger diameter O.D. on the front end csrew on lens (inside threads are the same), and it is waterproof to 500 feet (like anyone will ever test that out). Thicker O ring. Booful little lights.

Jal5
08-29-2010, 01:07 PM
+1 FOR THE Hoppes light.
Just used it this AM to check on the bore on one of my guns. handy to take to gun shops or shows also.

Joe

stephen perry
08-29-2010, 02:10 PM
Since Tom has not been with us for many years don't know if somebody makes anymore. Got mine from Sinclair 20 years ago. Nothing more than a brass tube with a 2x lens on one end. Slip the tube in any bolt or break open gun point it towards a light source and you can inspect throat area of a barrel and maybe 10-12 inches ahead.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR